• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Side Planers: In-Line or Mast type?

Dan97

Question

Howdy All...

Let's talk side planers!! Which do you prefer, the kind that clips on your line or the type run on it's own line from a mast?

I have a set of in-line boards that work fairly well. But on way way home from the lake today, I stopped at a garage sale and found a planer board mast being "thrown out". There were no boards to be had, but there were two releases clipped to the lines. So a five spot later, it was going home with me. The releases alone are worth that much. Anyway, do you think it's worth the extra cash to pick up a couple of the larger, mast type boards? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks......Dan

(Note: Storage space is not an issue here. My ProV has plenty to spare.)

1 answer to this question

I prefer the mast planers myself where you just put them out, attach a release to the lines and go. So much easier in my opinion, but then again you have to haul all the stuff and store it in the boat. I built my own side planers out of scrap wood (2 boards bolted together w/ long bolts and off-set to pull to the right or left.) They work slick.

The in-line planers always seem to frustrate me and I have a hard time running them in rougher water. Then reeling in a fish is an issue fighting a fish with the planer attached to the line.