• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

cleaning reels

slick2526

Question

6 answers to this question

dont know if spraying reel magic into the casing would help clean it or not. I think you might have to do it all the old fashioned way, take them apart wash them with luke warm water and a tooth brush. then dry them, relube them, and put them back together. Make sure you have the schematics with you unless you are very familiar with them, or you will end up with extra parts.

------------------
"Contrary to what most people think, the smartest person in the world is not a scientist, a teacher, or even a writer, the smartest person in the world is the guy who figured out a way to get paid to go fishing."

I agree with the WD-40 and toothbrush. This is how I do it every 2 years. When I take the reel apart I ley the pieces on a towel in the order they came out. This will help when it comes time to put it back together.

------------------
Jim Reed
www.countrykatfishing.com

i clean all of my reels with rubbing alcohol and Q-tips.( i don't like sprays) then all internal gears get a light coating of lithium(?) grease. the handles,rollers, and level winds get a drop or two of reels ease oil. spinning reels aren't to bad, but be sure to have the diagrams for the bait casters!! WD-40 is great, but be careful of other sprays. some can take the paint off!( trust me!!!!!) it does same you money! ( between the kids' reels and mine. i have 11 to clean) a guy here charges $15 to clean reels. be patient and take your time! del

I use WD-40 or I just pour warm water into the gears and then re-oil. Works very well before ice fishing to make sure that your reel functions properly in the cold. I try to clean all my reels before every season but sometimes I don't get around to it.

Good Fishin, Matt.

Fishing Reports from MJ5 and Fishing Minnesota...
http://frida.blc.edu/~mjohnson/mj5.html

First off, you disassemble one baitcaster, or spinning reel you have pretty much done them all('cept maybe and eon) second of all you might consider using an egg carton to put your parts in as you disassemble your reel, that way you can put the parts in order of disassembly, clean one or two, based on your experience with the guts of the reel, replace to the egg carton in the same order, and replace to the reel in backward order. Take note the up and down of parts *** you remove them, above all else PATIENCE. Once you have taken your reels apart a couple hundred times you get the hang of it. I have found the best lubricant for fishing reels is Remoil. Do not ever use reel magic inside spinning or baitcasting reels. It seems to gunk up inside and slow things down.
oh and a magnetic parts dish is really great for the jesus clips!
JC