• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Got back ealy this week from Waubay. Caught some walleyes on the north end and around the church. Action was spotty, but caught bigger fish than expected. 20-40 fish a day, largest 26". Fished Lynn and Buffalo also with some walleyes on Lynn, and crappies/walleyes on Buffalo. Mostly jigs and minnows. If Easter wasn't this week we would've gone this week. But now it sounds like cold. Good luck

Is the ice all out on Buffalo? I have Ice fishhed it several times in the winter with good success on the crappies-nice size. Never fished it in the open water season. I am thinking of trying that instad of chamberlain this spring. Any tips you would like to share on Buffalo in the spring? Locations?

Did you fish South or North Buffalo? We have had good success on S. Buffalo straight out from the access past the big point, and close to the narrows. There is a good rock finger over that way. Caught some huge pike out there too. Alot of Bullheads in that lake.... But mostly caught walleyes and craps.

I saw the ramp on South Buffalo, but I couldn't find the ramp on North Buffalo. Thanks for the info on Opitz. I fished Pickeral Saturday, and caught some nice walleyes out from the landing, off the hump that comes up to 5 feet.

North Buffalo does not have a public access. My folks have a place on South Buffalo so I fish there all summer long. I've never been there in the early spring or winter but I would love to go up there some time. I caught some beautiful crappie out there last year. I have not caught big northern there in several years. Amount 6 or 7 years ago it was really common to catch 5 or 6 pounders but now it's more like 2 or 3 pounders.

[This message has been edited by for-eyes (edited 04-23-2004).]

Shhhhhh!! just kidding, I was out there also last weekend, had a blast, lots of fish even with the cold front that came in, I'm heading back out there in a week or so, hopefully it will be warm enough to camp out then.

A group of 6 of us fished Waubay Lake for the first time this past weekend..We had a BLAST. Boated well over a hundred fish, most around the 15-16 inch mark with a few 17-18 inchers as well. We are from fargo and will definitely do it again. We fished wind blown points and in the trees on the North end of the lake. Pitched Jigs up shallow. Caught fish in 2-11 feet of water...The fish had not spawned yet..should be any day..Have plenty of Milk on the boat...

Just got back from Waubay this past weekend. I was wondering if anyone else was out there and noticed that the school bus was gone from school bus point??? Did I just miss the thing or did someone finally get rid of it??

Norsky how did you do on Waubay??? I leaving on Wednesday for 4 days. We stay at the Bur-Oak-Lodge and have been doing that for about 5 years now. Waubay has always been a blast.

We did very well, but no big fish, largest was only about 16". The spot we found most productive was the west side of the first island as you go out from the SW public access. My wife and I fished in 8-9' of water and hooked fish almost continuously from 5pm-7pm. We went through 2 full scoops of minnows, then just quit fishing. A 1/8 oz yellow jig and fathead with four pound test line on an ultralight rod was the perfect setup. Just move around till you find a large school of fish, then hold your spot.

Thanks for the info. I have never fished the south side of the lake before. We normally fish the Grenville area and just a little bit south. It is unreal how the bit can get going. I was with a friend and my 6 year old son last year and we caught approx. 150 eyes in 6 1/2 hours. My kid is spoiled for life, he thinks all lakes have Walleyes like that. I'm leaving in 23 1/2 hours.

Fritz we are heading to Bur Oak also maybe we will see ya there not arriving till friday eve though. We will be in a white chev with a crestliner behind. We would appreciate any help as this will be our first venture to Waubay, Enemy Swim area.

Big Daddy, look for a maroon and silver Chev pulling an Alumacraft, there will also be either a blue Dodge with a crestliner or a white 1 ton powerstroke. I will be with 4 other knuckleheads.

Steve

boy I hope you guys have great luck and have a good time. I fish waubay many times last year and once this year in april. man did we have a blast caught a ton of eyes in very shallow water. we fished the grate in greville. A guy in the boat next to us caught a nice 28 inch eye so they,re there.
am going back over labor day and am hoping to see changes now that its post spawn.hopefully the crappies will be biting over on lynn, But good luck and I think you guys will have a great time!

How did everyone do this weekend. It kinda breezy out there on Saturday. We fished the timber and points with excellent bites going on them both. If I had to guess we caught a 100 fish in about 3 or 4 hours. Finally the wind and rain was all we could take so we pulled the plug. Best fish was 20" in the trees, the rest were 14-17".

Fritz,
Was that your powerstroke sitting there with a dead battery? frown.gif I tried to turn the lights off, but the doors were locked.

Lets hear some other reports.
mw

[This message has been edited by Mike Walerak (edited 05-17-2004).]

Mike, good idea to try and turn the lights off on the truck but it was not my truck. Fishing was tough with the cold front that went thru. When you found an area in the trees and you were out of the wind you could get the walleyes. It's never a bad trip.

Big Daddy, How did you and your crew do??? I wanted to talk to you more but when your running with a bunch of knuckleheads....well you known what I mean. I hope you caught some fish and kept warm.

We went out to Bitter and fished for about 20 minutes fish were definately biting. Waves just got to big. Fished another lake and caught limit of crappies then packed up and left due to weather and good reports from over here. The gals didn't have to much to do so they wanted to leave also. I will have to go back and try it again. I think you could fish for a week and not hit half of the lakes around there.

Joel

hey there bigdaddy, that sounds a lil weird saying that, just wondering where you had picked up you crappies lynn or pickerel. Im going down memorial weekend and was wondering where the crappie are at and also what kinda bait you were using and what depth and what type of presentation. just got abck from thompson last saturday and caught one fish due to the adverse wheather conditions but the fish was good size at 22inches he was a good healthy fish.

------------------
eyekilla

Fished Waubay 14-16th. Did well the 14th, then with predicted winds for Saturday we were concerned with being able to load the boat late in the day, so tried Lynn Lake, not much luck there, only 2 small ones between 2 boats. Wind limited area we could fish, though. Nice little lake, had never been here before. Fixed a trolling motor problem and then went back out late Saturday on Waubay after winds diminished some. Caught a few before dark. Sunday was really good fishing, mostly fished south end and the point "formerly known as SchoolBus" a.k.a. "Prince". Caught some nicer fish early in the morning with one at just over 20" and one about 18", and losing a couple that seemed a little bigger. Average is still in the 15" range though, with some fish smaller and a few bigger. Also got one real nice crappie on grade by Grenville, and a real nice "smallie" of which I've never caught any here before. Hope to be back again in June with my 6-yr old, I think he's got a little more patience now, not that you need a whole lot on this lake, but..... We fished almost strictly with jigs and minnows.