• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spinning reels

jwilli7122

Question

25 answers to this question

I tried the GM series reels and didn't like em. They just didn't hold up. The sedona reel is a good one. I have come to like the Shimano Symetre Spinning reel. Seels for about $85 at most places. In my opinion it is the smoothest, longest lasting spinning reel I have had without spending over $100. Anyways good luck.

Bring on the Open Water! smile.gif
Chev

A few other options - I have 2 Fin-Nor reels that are the best I've ever owned or used. The lead on these came from a well known Mississippi river guide - smoothest drag, zero trouble, cast very well, no twist, solid gears, etc. You'll have to wait for a sale to get a good Fin-Nor in your price range. I was fortunate to find both of mine at 50% off or more. Wouldn't recommend their cheaper models - under $50.
Another newer reel you should look at is the Okuma line. Their top of the line is around $80.
Another would be the Mitchell Gold 300X and/or 308X - I've only owned the 300X for a year so it doesn't have a reliability record yet.
One of the most trouble free reels on the market is the Diawa Tournament SS line at $90. Ask any reel repair guys - they rarely see this reel. They don't have an instant anti-reverse however.
I've moved away from Shimano - the bale gets sticky and doesn't close on the last 3 Shimanos I've owned after a few years. And on one the gears wore out.

I'm trying out the new Okuma Inspira ($75-80).
So far, I love them. Built like a tank, good looking, and very, very smooth. 11 ball bearings smooth. They feel a little heavier than what I'm used to.... but it hasn't bothered me a bit. Cast like a dream as well.

------------------
-FNC

"If I had a job... I'd quit it."

I Bought my first spinning reel in that range this year; a Abu Cardinal 4 bearing (green reel). It's like a $40-45 orginally but I got it on clearnce for $35. Balanced rotor, smooth retrieve, instant anti-reverse; but I suppose all of these are standard on most reels more than $40. I like Abu personally; they are a lot more affordable than a lot of the domestic reels, suprisingly (except for there spincasting reels that is. Baitcasters and Spinning reels they make are VERY reasonable.) And I have never had any problems with them. I also like the fact that this is a rear-drag reel; something that most other manus, other than Shimmano, don't offer. It makes it so much easier to adjust the drag during a fight without getting your hand tied up in line, and makes it easier to switch spare spools.

[This message has been edited by Crawlerman (edited 03-19-2003).]

I too use the Fin-Nor reels. They are probably the best bang for the buck that you can get. I have had mine for a few years now and they have outlasted the garcia's and shimanos that i have owned. I also have been looking into the new quantum spining reels. Everyone that I have talked to has really liked theirs so I will probably be getting one this spring.><>
deadeye

Hey Crawlerman-
Is that an all green reel... all metal finish with a cream colored rotor? If so, those are the older models... and I've been looking for one! Please say it's true!

------------------
-FNC

"If I had a job... I'd quit it."

Okuma reels are very nice, I just think 11 ball bearings are a little over doing it. I like the Avenger, its a very nice reel, 7 ball bearings and doesnt weigh to much. Been using it for 2yrs now. No problems or complaints. Very nice drag also

yep. "Hunt and fish again" off Robert Street in west St paul still have a few left; all are new in box with the spare spool included. They get a lot of older model overstocks on numerous things, as well as new stuff; and are fairly decent for prices too. The guy who runs it is a pretty nice guy to talk to as well.

[This message has been edited by Crawlerman (edited 03-19-2003).]

I have used the Okuma reels also and have been happy, but for the money, I think the quality of the California Tackle reel is far superior. 10 ball bearings, this thing is smooth.

For the $ I found Okuma hard to beat. I have a few Symetre's and they have been dependable. The new Abu Garcias are great for icefishing so they should be ok for open water. I tried the cheaper Fin Nors and also found out you get what you pay for with them. Check out the Okuma baitfeeder real. Mines great for loopers etc. from shore. Cheaper than a Shimano.

Abu's are solid reels, and are a great value. I actually found out the reel I have is only a 2 bearing, altough the smaller one with the front drag is 4. Truthfully; I cannot tell the difference between the 2 and the 4. They both have instant anti-reverse, Acu-balance system, and the oversized teflon roller. This one has a tapered spool, designed for longer casts. I actually like Abus more than the more expensive Shimmano and Quantums; I've tried a few shimmano spinning reels and I wasn't that impressed. Abu delivers most of the same stuff and for about half of the price. They are also importated from the same place that gives us Rapala grin.gif

[This message has been edited by Crawlerman (edited 03-25-2003).]

The Shimano Sedona's are great for that price range, but I think the Sahara is even better. Very solid reel for about $15 more. Retail at $59.99. Vern

jwilli - Mike at Hooked on Fishing in Rochester has as good a selection as anybody I know. I see you're from the metro - jump on the Rochester thread and Mike might be able to tell you where you can find them in the Cities if you don't have a reason to come down here.

I'm kind of surprised and then again not at all that no one has mentioned the Mitchells they are great reels and the Golds are worth the price any day of the week.
I have an old 300 and a 308 so until they fall apart in my hands I probably won't buy the new ones.

Any opinion's on the Quantums? I use their baitcasters and like them fine. Also have an older spinning reel(5 or 6 yrs)which I also like. Was wondering about the Accurist or the new Catalyst or Kinetic.