• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Last Season

Borch

Well wondering if anyone is going to be out in the heat for the last turkey season.  I was out last night and just needed a nice strutter to get a bit closer.   I moved the blind to his entry/exit point.   He didn't want to follow the hen when she walked by my blind twice.   He stayed on the high ground in the field. Hoping for better results.

I would be out a morning or two if I still had the tag.   Afternoons must be a sauna in a blind.   We hunted in shorts and t-shirts in early May and were still hot when afternoon temps reached around 82 - 85 degrees.

It’s amazing to me to look back already and realize 1.5 days around C season time  will be the story of my entire archery season this year.  Just too much other stuff going on AGAIN this spring to make an honest season out of it.

Full on fishing during any spare moments now.

Good luck out there!

42 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

It’s amazing to me to look back already and realize 1.5 days around C season time  will be the story of my entire archery season this year.  Just too much other stuff going on AGAIN this spring to make an honest season out of it.

Full on fishing during any spare moments now.

Good luck out there!

420988.jpg

Trying to decide where to sit if I got out tonight.  In the blind with good west exposure for the breeze this afternoon/evening or the spot with more consistent movement but likely very little breeze.

Hmm.....  I'm leaning towards the breeze...

I gave it my last shot of the year this morning and I juked and the turkeys jived.  They have been rolling through the same spot for the last couple mornings and unfortunately went a different direction this morning.  

That's it for me! Unfortunately I have obligations until the season is done now. Morgan, Logan, and I all finished with unpunched tags. Darn pea-brained birds won this time.

18 hours ago, leech~~ said:

420988.jpg

Brotha’ you got that right.

Actually I’m cooking hobos over the campfire in Ely right now.  Not a bad second fiddle.

I won’t be a cooking hobo in a blind this weekend. ;)

Edited by Wanderer

Very quiet so far.  Maybe one distant gobble on the roost but couldn't tell for sure. At least the mosquitos seem to have calmed down in the last 10 minutes some. 

Well Sunday morning was full of activity but not any real opportunities.  Lots of gobbling to start the day with it slowly fizzling out around 9am.  Did have 4 jakes inside of 20 yards but passed on them.   A bit later I had plenty of toms and hens but none in range.  Although, if I had sat in the truck I would have had multiple opportunities. 

20180527_073139.jpg20180527_085923.jpg

This morning will be short hunt due to commitments so hopefully some of the same birds show up or others that gobbled but didn't show.  I grabbed another blind and set up in a grass strip that the birds have been spending a lot if time in.  Hopefully I don't regret not staying in the truck.  :)

Went out a few mornings this past weekend trying to get my son on a bird. Heard a bunch, saw a few jakes/hens but nothing close. Very Hot and lots of mosquitos. May get out the next 2 mornings for short hunts. You just never know.....

My cousin shot a nice tom on Memorial Day morning. He said he saw a lot more tom activity this last season and in the heat than he did in his earlier May season. If you have the opportunity keep hunting.