• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Woodstock nests

Years ago now I walked up on a woodcock nest with freshly hatched chicks.   Of course it was a rare time that I did not have my camera along and for those too young to remember, my cell phone did not yet have a camera :( 

They were maybe the size of my thumb.  Momma was nearby doing the broken wing thing and flutter up in the air - so I did not stay over the nest for very long.

one of my favorite birds. I remember hearing the sound that the male makes when it goes high in the sky and never knowing what the sound was coming from since it can carry quite a ways. a few years ago I was in the front yard and I heard it again and I grabbed the binocs and started searching the sky in the direction of the sound. Spotted the bird and it was the american woodcock. mystery solved. LOL  Then went and read about it online. 

Other Sounds

As the male spirals upward into the sky during his display flight, his wings make a twittering sound produced by air passing through three narrow outer primaries. This sound may also occur during other activities.  

Its a cool and unique sound and always brings back memories. 

2 hours ago, minky said:

Here is the hen on her nest.

20180507_085044.jpg

Bet you were looking for Shrooms, how would you ever see that? ;)

Handsome birds I love um too! :)

woodcock.JPG

Edited by leech~~

9 hours ago, tacklejunkie said:

That picture Leech posted looks appetizing so maybe I'll have to shoot a few this fall and try some recipes for woodcock.

Those are Cornish game hens leech cooked!!:P:D

On 5/11/2018 at 7:05 PM, tacklejunkie said:

Do you like the taste of woodcock? I never took to it

They are dark meat, but live Divers you got to fix um up! ;)

3 hours ago, bobbymalone said:

Like divers you say?

71MQn9vLbuL._SY355_.jpg

Yes!  And I wouldn’t waste em on the dog either!  ‘Cept the mergs - if Rover wouldn’t be too offended! :P

Edited by Wanderer

Feeding a dog a meganser is borderline animal cruelty.  'Gansers are a special breed of awful.  They aren't even ducks and loon is much better table fare.

I used to just put divers in the community pool for jerky or shiat duck stew, now I don't even bother pulling trigger.  

I don't think woodcock is that bad though.

Edited by bobbymalone

Bluebills slow cooked all day in a roaster with potatoes, onions, carrots and few grouse on the side? You boys are a bit snooty! -_-

Edited by leech~~