• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bats

Not sure where to post this so I thought I would start here in the Varmint section.  I moved into my current home 5 years ago this summer.  When we moved in I noticed there was animal droppings in the attic to which I thought mice and also thought it must be old since "how do mice get into an attic?"  Dumb thinking maybe but I put out a few traps and also some poison and nothing took the bait.  Through the years there have been a few instances where we heard scratching in the walls or ceiling and never found the culprits until this winter.  My wife heard scratching in our bathroom and I investigated and sure enough could hear it too.  A week later my wife was cleaning our basement and almost picked up a BAT!!!!  So now I have put 2 and 2 together and realize we have bats in our attic.  I found 2 potential entry points where our soffit meets our rooflines and there is an opening of a couple inches.  I have read online to put a Bat Cone in the area and bats can leave and cannot get back in.  I have an idea to build a box with said bat cone and cover the supposed entrances.   My questions are has anyone dealt with something like this?  did you use these bat cones and did they work?  Is this something that I should consider removing the insulation in my attic and replacing?  not sure how I would go about doing that but it is a thought that has crossed my mind.  I am not sure how many bats may be up there as I don't really have the ambition to go into my attic and 1 or more "rats" hanging in my attic.  Any information is greatly appreciated. 

I have done some research and if I hire a pest control company the prices can be very expensive.  I have also read that the feces and the urine can cause health issues and that is my biggest concern.  I am not sure what can be done...if I get the bats removed I wonder if I should end up looking into removing the blown insulation and replacing.  I am not sure what that would cost or if needed.  This is an issue that I think is gonna be an expensive remediation.

Replacing the insulation will probably depend on how many you have up there and how long they've been there.  If there are a decent number and they've been there awhile it could be a real mess up there and would probably be worth cleaning out.  Unfortunately this could end up being one of those things that balloon into a bigger issue depending on how bad the infestation is.  

My grandparents had bats in the attic in their old farm house but never really did anything about them.  On occasion one would find its way into the living quarters of the house and create a bit of excitement.  My grandma got pretty good at smacking them with a tennis racket. I remember one time as a kid I was spending the night and was woken up in the middle of the night by being smacked with a broom.  A bat got into my bedroom and grandma was trying to kill it and apparently missed a few times hitting me in the process. 

suppose I should "man" up and get back up into the attic and get a visual of the situation but those things just don't make me excited to open up the attic and face them.

1 hour ago, ozzie said:

suppose I should "man" up and get back up into the attic and get a visual of the situation but those things just don't make me excited to open up the attic and face them.

there are probably none there this time of year.   I think they hibernate in places that stay above freezing, like caves etc.  So this would be a great time to close the holes and check the attic for gross disgusting contamination.  

just remember they only need about 1/4 inch hole to get in the attic..  find the hole and plug it after they have gotten out of the attic...    the hard part is finding where they go in and out...

I am pretty sure I found how they get in and out...where my soffits meet my roof lines the soffits have a gap of a couple inches and runs the length of the soffit, so about 18" in one spot and the other spot is wider but has the Gap of 2" or more for them to enter.  Since I just had one find and opening in my walls and found a way to make it to my basement I am pretty sure they are in my attic right now and have been there all winter but I will get up there and take a look around.  All you interest and responses on this is appreciated!!!

If they are up there odds are they won't move much if any when you poke your head up there and shine a light around to look for them.  They can really tuck into small areas so it may not be super easy to find them.  If you end up needing to crawl around up there to look for them here are the items I'd suggest.

In case there is bat $#!?.

image.png.3697ebc2f358ac9a1187434e56f50693.png

In case air quality is bad aka its full of bat $#!?.

image.png.c40fd5343701e05ccaba8a918d84ae08.png

In case the bat $#!? hits the fan.

image.png.eff8eaa1f9d1b44b28cabaaaa0c9ac2d.png

So you have a good idea where they're coming in at.  Figure out what you need to cover that area up with and be ready to apply whatever solution it takes to do that.  Once it warms up, sit out there and watch them exit.   Get up there and plug the holes before they come back.

As far as removing the insulation, if you have a few bats I wouldn't worry about it.    If you have a colony of bats, well your nose will tell you that but you won't see them hanging from the rafters.

This is such a serious issue you are facing though. I hope you have found out some solution over the bats' problems. I agree the bats faces and the urine may cause as the serious health problem to the people living in the house. You could have tried to Installing an Ultrasonic Bat Repeller or Set up Bat Houses or Block their Entrance Points. But if the rate of the nuisance I high and out of control that you can't manage at home by your own, then, in this case, you should be called a pest exterminator Brooklyn who look out for the solution to exterminate pests from depth.

oh and sorry about no update on this...I was told I couldn't do anything with them until Labor day as that is when the exterminator could feel good that any babies had learned to take flight.  Now I am waiting on the exterminator to come out and start remedying the issue but I am having troubles with that too!  I give this guy another week and then I am going to have to call someone else.  I don't look forward to this as it will cost most likely in the $1000 range is what I have been told.

6 minutes ago, ozzie said:

oh and sorry about no update on this...I was told I couldn't do anything with them until Labor day as that is when the exterminator could feel good that any babies had learned to take flight.  Now I am waiting on the exterminator to come out and start remedying the issue but I am having troubles with that too!  I give this guy another week and then I am going to have to call someone else.  I don't look forward to this as it will cost most likely in the $1000 range is what I have been told.

This post was started in April and you still have Bats in your belfry?  ? 

yes...they have been there probably for longer than that so what is 6 more months?  Not something I particularly am happy about but I am not the expert so I go off their recommendations and also it is expensive and other things were coming into play so here I hang. 

yup just had the guy come out Monday the 1st and said I have bats and gave me the rundown of my issues and cost to button up the house and rid me of my problem.  $2000 later it should all be good!!  He hopes to get them evacuated yet this year but depending on weather it maybe next spring since it is getting late.  fun times but a lot goes into making sure they don't return and get into other crevasses of the home.  The joys of being a home owner right?  At least the guy I am having do it is very knowledgeable and thorough and he did not see evidence that I would need to replace my insulation so that is good!!