• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thanks For The Advice

SkunkedAgain

After inching towards an ATV purchase over the past year or more, I finally pulled the trigger on a lightly used 2002 Polaris Xplorer 400. I couldn't be happier and am still learning. A lot of you provided great information that I used while researching and looking over used ATVs. Now I've got some things to attach such as a winch, and will start saving up to possibly buy a new ATV off the shelf in another year or two.

I appreciate everyone's input.

33 minutes ago, SkunkedAgain said:

I still need to learn what the counter balance does....but I know it needs oil!

The 400 2 stroke CB lubrication is very different than a typical internal combustion engine. Just stick with the recommended grade 10w30 and you shouldn't have any problems.

One thing I would recommend is run only the Polaris VES gold 2 stroke oil. I’ve ran that stuff in 3 different 2 stroke Polaris units and have NEVER had an issue. They run better, start easier, and protect engine over all. Runs for about $13 a quart. One thing I would recommend is if your having any service work done Tell the dealer what your running for oil. A few years back I was having some work done on my sportsmen 90 the thing wouldn’t move. The dealer called my and literally was cusing and yelling at me! They were like “ you can’t run regular motor oil through a 2 stroke atv”. I immediately grabbed my jug of polaris ves gold oil drove to the dealer and plopped it on the counter and said yep I’m running regular motor oil! (that was a joke). I took the machine to a different dealer and haven’t been back to the place since that was 3 years ago. Turns out some parts were rusted/ seized in the clutch area. Any way little story. I would agree it looks similar to motor oil but the smell is way different.

To be clear here. The engine oil in a 400 2 stroke is mixed with the fuel in a separate tank via oil injection.  Or you can just get an oil block off kit and mix oil in the gas.

But the counterbalance I was referencing is completely different, you only need about 3 oz in the CB and I know most people dont' even know its there or that it even needs to be changed they just ride it.

Yup, I'm going to drain everything. The belt showed cracking and the filter was dirty, despite being a very clean machine.

I downloaded the manual and it talks about 10W30 for the counterbalance.

I also bought a quart of recommended Polaris 2-stroke oil for the gas mix. I quizzed the guy at the shop about mixing the 2-stoke Polaris Gold from my '97 Polaris snowmobile with the ATV 2-stroke oil to use it up. He didn't say no or yes, which is better than an outright "no don't do that." He just said to mix bits here and there as a supplement.