• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Headhunters

Scoot

Headhunters!  Sorgy came up with it and I like it!  I don't see how I can edit my post to change the name, however.  

One bit of good news for the team- my daughter is going to use a vertical bow this year!  I'm excited for her and I hope she can get a crack at one with it.  She's used a crossbow in the past and it's really done a number of the birds when matched with a Bullhead.  But, she's swapping over to a big kid bow this year and we'll give that a try.  I hope she can get it done!  

Welcome Hugo!

I'm excited to get out there and give it a try! This Saturday I scouted all of the spots I have permission to hunt and didn't see or hear a single turkey. Yesterday evening I went to my best spot and didn't see any tracks in the snow and didn't hear or see a thing. I think the birds have not broken up and moved into those areas yet. I predict a very tough start for us!

I am headed to Chicago for work in a couple hours and won't be back until Friday. I should be able to hunt Saturday and Sunday this weekend. good luck to everyone who gets out tomorrow!

Welcome Hugonian!

Glad to have another on the team. Are you hunting the Hugo area this winter? I have several areas I may try. My fall back area is public land near home.

Good Luck

Steve

Glad to be on board.

Have a MN Archery tag so lots of opportunity ahead.

Will be hunting our Hugo property.

Had about 20" of snow in our area so that will slow things down early on.

Have had quite a few birds around though.

They seem to have broken up into their groups.

Will probobly hold off a bit and let things settle down.

Also hace a C Season tag for Wisconsin.

Not sure how that will play out but have access to a property down by Nelson that typically holds quite a few birds.

Should be another fun season.

I'll try to get some pictures posted today. I also had Morgan out on Saturday and she just didn't have the patients 2 stick it out shoot a bird. She made it until 8:15 and was ready to quit. I tried like heck to get her to stay but she was tired and whiny and ready to go. Seemed like a time where it was best to try to accept losing the battle but hopefully winning the war so we packed up and headed home. After I loaded the truck we turned around and went past the spot our blind had just been and there was a nice tom 20 yards away from where we just left. Doah!

I'm a little concerned about getting her out enough to have a legitimate chance with her. I kind of regret including her on the team because I'm not sure she will hunt enough to have a legit chance. 10 year old little girls have a mind of their own no doubt! She's not nearly as driven and single track minded as Ryan is when it comes to hunting.

Scoot, I have had the same issues with both my 11 year old boy and 14 year old girl.  They have both ended up with opportunities each years.  Frustrating as it my be, it is still worth it.  Thats why we have teams to pick each other up, i might bet, being a Scoot child, she will impress us by the end.

Good luck out there!

15 minutes ago, Borch said:

If early mornings aren't her thing just hunt later.   If I had to cut out 2 hours of the day it would be the first two.  I'd hear less gobbling, but I rarely shoot a bird early.

I've shot many early but you're right, get one going later in the day and its much easier to get them to commit.   Got mine at 6pm.

Yep, excellent suggestions fellas!  If it's nice out this evening (supposed to be) we're going to go give it a try.  I'll bring lots of snacks, camera, binocs, and maybe even a tablet for her to play on.  

A friend and I came down to Taylor's Falls this weekend to hunt with another buddy. In short we've had our butts kicked so far.  Had 3 nice gobblers coming in twice yesterday but they got weird at 20 yards and bailed. Two different jakes also wouldn't come in too. Typical turkeys being turkeys...

Hopefully today one commits.