• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ne 2018

Hoyt4

Our 18th year in NE was another fun one like always. Weather kind of put a few curve balls in there but that is something that should not stop you just might have to change your game plan a little . :)

I was able to take two birds on Easter day called in a few gobblers and shot the first bird and then all heck broke loose and they started to attack him while lying there. I was able to take the 2nd bird as he was trying to jump on the dead one. Then had to wait  a day for the library to open so I could get my 3rd tag.I did hit one bird on Wednesday night but waited till the next morning to try and find. I went in where I saw him land and check around and could not find. Did find blood in the snow but he was strutting still even hurt. Look for a long time and never ended up finding him. From his tracks and blood looked like he went out with the flock that morning. My broadhead though did take a beating the blades are all twisted I think this turkey had an S on his chest . Blades look like it hit a wall.

Thursday night I was able to put my 3rd tag on a bird.  Now i'm ready to come back home and get even with the old smoke pole here.

We have had cold hunting before but this was the coldest for us since 1933 :) guess it had to be on one of our trips for breaking a record for weather.  One day we did get 6 inches of snow which was not too bad but that wind blowing across the roads made them ice . Traveling from camp to hunting was interesting.

Love the spring turkey woods, good luck to all get ready to head out.

IMG_20180404_055514109.jpg

IMG_20180403_171100788.jpg

IMG_20180403_171056949.jpg

IMG950492.jpg

NE 3rd.jpg

IMG_20180405_193618640.jpg

IMG_20180409_073002414.jpg

IMG_20180409_073018623.jpg

There are years calling is minimal when the flocks are broke up. Years like this when they have not broke up yet calling for us is pretty aggressive and a lot. Almost non stop it feels sometimes.  Gobbling was great in the mornings.

No decoys, I messed up this spring because I almost always start without decoys and watch the birds what they want but this year I started with. They would see the decoys and would re-route. Once I pulled the decoys I had the birds in my lap. Out of the 18 years going this early I have used decoys maybe twice with success. Take that how you want I just don't use decoy's a lot I have better luck getting birds in tight without and they do not hang up like they do with.

It's nice hunting this early I really don't think you can over call them. The hens pretty much talk all day. I don't think there was a time on the hunt you did not hear the hens going. They were more aggressive then the Toms all week. Fighting and loud