• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Team #3

Archerysniper

23 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

That was quick!

Took a page out of sniper’s book! Had I known what would go down after I woulda let this guy walk though... I’ll get a story up later. 21.6 pounds, 9 inch beard, 3/4 inch spurs.

Working on punching dad’s archery tag and had this guy hang up at 40 yards for a good half hour outside of his comfortable shooting range. Had 4 jakes on the decoys earlier trying to breed them but the tom stayed out at about 60 with a live hen. Fooling the big boys with the bow is proving to be a challenge. Wow is it fun and frustrating as hell at the same time. 

FDA6AAFB-3173-419E-99C7-05BD67C06339.jpeg

3AE8D9DA-F670-46A5-86BA-109D02626FBE.jpeg

WTG Cheetah!  They still give you two tags each out there?  Still hunting, or coming home early?

Stick with it PFunk, once that hens slips away he'll come back lookin' for some plastic love.

In SD you can only buy one any weapon Black Hills tag in the spring.  There is a state-wide archery only tag that can be used out here as well.   Usually it is tough to get just one bird, so I don't buy an archery tag.   This year we planned on rock climbing after shooting turkeys, so we are kicking that off a little quicker than expected.   I do not believe it is possible to buy non-res over the counter tags, even though it is not a lottery, and buying online requires shipping to an address that takes a few days...   I also did not bring my bow, but if my uncle has a bow for me to use I might call game and fish to see if I can buy an archery tag in Rapid and hunt a bit each day before we go climbing.  

I am back from my MN hunt, and it was another quick one...  Dang turkeys are making this too easy on me this year.  Got a lot of fishing in to round off the weekend and plenty of meat in the cooler!   I'll post some photos soon.

So my Minnesota hunt turned out to be more of a fishing trip.  After putting on a few miles on Friday morning in the mud I managed to close the gap on an active gobbler at about 10am.  I snuck in dangerously close and gave him a few of the softest yelps I could to get his attention, he gobbled back from just in front of me below the lip of the hill and I could hear him spitting and drumming.  After a couple minutes and a few more soft yelps he gobbled closer and I knew he was coming.   Two nice gobblers appeared through the brush, and I quickly estimated that the trailing tom was slightly bigger bodied.  The only clear shot was roughly 30 yards, and when the bird I wanted walked through I let him have it.  The shot picked him up off his feet and knocked him on his back and he didn't even kick.  The first tom just stood there trying to figure out what happened, walked back to his buddy and stared at him for a couple minutes before finally deciding something wasn't quite right...   If I had two tags it would have been an easy double.  

When I got back to the car I saw my dad had arrived and I must have just missed him.   An hour or so later I heard a single shot in the distance, and he texted a bit later to say he shot one.  Turns out he caught a flock along a logging road and they were too slow to spook so he was able to shoot a nice tom that had no clue what was going on.  

My bird weighed 22lb even, spurs were 1 1/8 and 1 inch.    Dad's bird weighed 22.75lb and had 5/8" spurs.

Fishing was excellent with the high water on the Mississippi.  One of the spillways we fish was way too fast and we did not want to put in the kayaks to fish it, so we fished from the only spot we could stand without getting swept over.  There were tons of drum and gar chasing a huge school of minnows up to our feet.  We also caught a bunch of nice sized white bass, a turtle, and a couple carp out of that spot.  We also fished below one of the dams where the locals were catching perch, but we only managed a few from our kayaks, but at least we got the boats wet in some calmer water.  The last spot was a culvert that we saw some kids fishing the day before, and I picked up a 4-5lb northern, and Dad caught a 17.5lb carp.  A lady fishing next to us pulled in a 22lb carp while I watched, and they had a big buffalo on the stringer.  She had a bunch more hookups as well, big carp that would have spooled my light rod with 4lb line...  

IMG_4408_share.jpg

IMG_4413_share.jpg

IMG_4424_share.jpg

IMG_4436_share.jpg

IMG_4445_share.jpg

IMG_4449_share.jpg

IMG_4458_share.jpg

IMG_4465_share.jpg

Car packed and ready to leave tomorrow for Wisconsin!   Hunting zones 3 and 5 in the Wausau area where my brother lives.   He just shot one this morning, and says there are lots more birds to chase in the area.  

Mentored for the Mn DNR women's Turkey hunt on Fri night and Sat morning. Friday was quiet but the birds flew up within 40 yards af the blind so we were hopefull for what the morning would bring. Sat morning was quiet and I waited till shooting hours to make my first yelps which were immediately cut off by 4 different birds. My lady was excited to say the least. She had never seen a turkey in the wild growing up and living in iron range.  Two of the toms gobbled a little after fly down but I could tell the were going north. The other 2 that were to our east gobbled a bit but shut up but sounded like the were coming down the road towards us. After about 20 minutes they rolled a big triple gobble within 60 yards wondering where this hen was at. I gave them a few purrs and set the call down getting her ready and calming her down for the shot. We still had not seen them put I could hear that unmistakable sound,pfffft boooom. Now I'm getting excited because I know they are danger close but they are on the side we can not see. Like always they proved me a fool and instead of coming right up the little road the cut through a high spot in the swamp and pop out in the field at 30 yards. They immediately hit full strut and throw a huge gobble right in our face and directly at my decoy that is set up at 8 yards. Then instead of coming right in they circle the decoy and blind at 25 yards and go to the side of the blind that is closed and gobble and strut for 15 min finally working into 8 to 10 yards bit still won't come towards the decoy. So I shut the one blind window and get her moved for a shot. The birds are now at 18 yards but getting skittish and moving away. As soon as I get the window open I hear her string drop and whay sounded like a hollow feathery smack and she says she got it. I look up and the birds are still there and look just a little nervous so I hit the call and they gobble back so I know it was a miss. So close but it was so much fun. Those 2 birds hung out for a few hours after strutting and gobbling at everything. 

Wisconsin's turkeys have survived my visit this year.  One is surely deaf after I managed to miss at 18 paces as he walked past me...  Not sure how that happened...   I feel like I rushed the shot when he started to get nervous.  Passed one jake the first morning that I could have taken at 40yd.   Came very close on two other mature gobblers.   One picked me off as he came around a hay pile at 20yd and immediately turned and ran, very smart bird.   The other came in hot, but decided to do a circle around me.  Appeared at 30yd wide open to my side while I was aiming down the sights towards his last gobble, and I had no chance to turn and shoot...  

On 5/30/2018 at 9:39 PM, Archerysniper said:

Pfunk,you going to enter your bird? I almost forgot to enter mine. 

Oh jeez. I forgot all about it too. I will do it right away. Hopefully I wasn’t too late.