• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Steel Roofing on the House

Duffman

Do to the June hail storm we dad to re roof to of the three buildings that we have.

our garage all ready had had steal on it that was not affected by the hail.  I will be putting something on the roof of the house to stop the snow from sliding off.

With qualifying steal you my get a discount on your homeowner insurance.   

28 minutes ago, Duffman said:

Kinda curious if anyone has gone this route?

Likes, dislikes for it's use here in MN?

I've done a few roofs with ribbed steel over the years. When this house needs a new roof it will get it as well. 

In some cities it won't meet local codes or covenants but if you aren't in that situation I wouldn't hesitate. 

we have a steel roof on the cabin. so far so good. yea that snow sliding off that steel roof sounds and feels like an avalanche, especially when your using a snow rake to get it off!!!:grin:

I have it on my hunting camp in the UP of mi, 200+ inches of snow per year sealed the deal for me, I no longer shovel rather, I let gravity take over. No issues over the past 8 years but again it’s only a 24x24 foot cabin 

I guess the first step would be to see if it's even allowed in my suburb.

I've always liked the look, the city put it on the warming house in the park out back last summer.

I did notice that they also installed some guards (lawsuit avoiders) near the bottom roof line.

My roof is a simple up and down, but there is a run of 40ft or so on one side, that could get interesting if it all the snow let go at once.

But it would dump on the sides of my house.

Thanks for the input people!

Our house will need a new roof in the next few years and I've been thinking about a metal roof.  I have a rambler with a pretty shallow pitch so I'm not sure how well snow will slide off but if it does it will land on my driveway, front deck, sidewalk on one side of the house, stamped concrete patio in the back, and on the back deck around the sun room.  Although all of those areas are already catching all the snow I'm having to rake off my roof to avoid ice build up.  

Wondering if a metal roof would help or hurt the ice build up issue.  I'd love to stop roof raking.

I do have a valley in the front and 2 on either side of the sun room in the back that could catch snow that slides down the metal roof as well, been concerned that could also be an issue.

I installed metal roofing on houses in the mountains of Colorado and Wyoming for 12 years before moving back to Iowa. I personally think they are the best roofing system you can install. If done correctly. I installed metal roofing on my own house when I built it 6 years ago and with no major weather events it should outlast me.

Things to think about when installing metal roofing on your home.

1) What type of roofing.  Screw down "B" panels, or hidden fastener standing seam. Screw down panels are a great budget option. But be aware that the screws can start to back out causing a small leak at every screw. Standing seam panels are a bit more labor intensive and more expensive, but if installed correctly will last 30-50 years or more.

2) Snow retention. Screw down panels will hold a bit more snow just because of the screw heads grabbing the ice and snow. Standing seam will let more snow slide more easily. Which can be good if you are concerned about the weight of the snow. With both systems it is easy enough to install snow retention if that is a issue.

3) Ice damming and gutters. Ice damming is a problem with shingle roofs because the ice and water can push back up the slope of the roof under the shingles. Metal roofing panels do away with this problem due to the fact that you are installing a continuous sheet up the entire slope of the roof. The only places this can be a problem is at the eave if you have gutters and in valleys. First of all you need at least 36" of ice and water shield installed up from the eave and both ways in the valleys. Secondly, while gutters are necessary to keep the water away from your foundation in a rain event, they can hold snow and ice which can push back up under the eave of your metal roofing. You can take care of this problem by lowering your gutter to below the pitch line of your roof. This will not only lessen the chance of ice pushing back up under the eave but will also lessen the chance of the gutters getting ripped off from sliding snow and ice.

I apologize for the length of my post. Metal roofing is a great way to go. The installation may be a bit over the average do it yourselfers head with the specialized tools and installation techniques but it isn't rocket science either.

One other thing. It's best to tear the old roofing off of course before installing anything so you can inspect the roof decking and repair any damaged areas, plus it takes weight off the house. But whether you remove the old roofing or not, make sure you put a protective layer of felt, insulation or something to protect the bottom side of steel from abrasion that could scratch the protective pait and expose bare metal because that can cause rust to form from the underside and shorten the life of the roof.

Although it is more expensive I would use ice and water shield on the whole roof. If you do get a screw that leaks this will help prevent water damage and because of it's adhesive, you don't need nails or Staples to hold it down that might scratch the pain off the bottom side of the steel.