• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sra or Independent Suspension

SkunkedAgain

Here's the next thing that I hadn't thought of, but I've got 8 acres of rocks, tree roots, stumps, mud, and hills....you know, typical land on the range. I've read some opinions online but am happy to read more. I assume that I can get by with a straight rear axle and would appreciate having the lighter vehicle, but am thinking that I have a high certainty of being on uneven terrain 90% of the time. The only trail this will ride is full of rocks....a 1st gear path through the woods.

Having owned both the one positive I can say about Polaris is that the sportsman that I owned was the smoothest riding quad I ever had. Much better that the straight axle Yamahas and Kawasaki's.  Of course that ride came at the expense of the reliability they others had at the time. You also generally lose some load or towing capacity with irs if you do any heavy hauling or towing.

towing would be one thing to consider as mentioned. The SRA is not going to have any squat etc like an IRS does when towing. And you can buy devices to lock out the rear suspension on an IRS but there goes your smooth ride.

The IRS will have a smoother ride for sure when not towing or just trail riding. But another thing to consider is if you have to ride a lot of off camber the SRA wont lean as much as the IRS.does.

I shouldn't be riding in many off camber situations. The most that I'll tow is logs and maybe a tow-behind sled with gear. The squat shouldn't affect me. Are the IRS rigs that much less reliable or was it just the old Sportsmans? It seems like 80% of the ATVs on clist are sportsmans.

My dads 500 sportsmen with IRS and my 330 magnum straight axle. I'll take the straight axle any day. Way smoother ride and can tow more tongue weight loads. The IRS is good but my personal preference is the straight axle but thats me. The sportsmen was/ is a popular atv and alot were sold so thats why theres a lot for sale. Plus everyone is selling ATVs now for SxS. nothing major as far as issues on the sportsmen's.

Edited by AlwaysFishing23

most full sized atv's are IRS and they are for a reason. There is more parts to go wrong but they are worth it.

I have a 05 Suzuki king quad 700 with just about 8000 miles on it and the only thing I have fixed on it is bushings

in the suspension. 

Hijacking my own thread, are there any consensus "stay away" ATVs that anyone would like to point out? I realize that this may turn into a Chevy/Ford debate but sometimes there are crappy model years....and motors that seem to be bullet-proof.

I think they are all good, you will get people that will bash but its par for the course. I am Polaris guy strictly for the fact that I like the way their 4WD system works compared to others. 

I would suggest you go test drive or ride any that perk your interest and buy whats most comfortable. I wouldnt hesitate to own any model from most the manufactures  they have all come a long way over the years.