• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mower needed

perchking

Well the 42” 14 year old craftsman LT1000 is heading to the hunting camp so I need a new one for Home. I cut about 2 acres with lots of tree so a zero turn only makes sense, looking 52 - 60” deck and have about a 5K budget to work with. Ariens ikon has me intrigued but also looking at a couple used stand up Wright’s with less than 200 hrs. Also looking at the z series. Thoughts? 

I got a hustler raptor SD last year with a 54" deck. I cut about 2 acres also and my mowing time has be cut down by half.

I chose to go with a 54 instead of a 60 beside cause of uneven ground and road ditch. zero turns don't side hill very well

so if you have hilly ground I would try one out. I used two of my neighbors one was a john deere witch I like a lot and a country clipper

I didn't like that one.  It had a joy stick that controlled the drive  I thought it was very touchy mowed my yard twice with it    

I’ll second the Hustler recommendation.  I have a fastrak 54” and couldn’t be happier. Put about 350hrs on the last 4 years. Had a 42” JD before this one, and darn near cut my mowing time in half. If you got the hustler route, get the front flex springs.... they ar worth the money

I don’t have any experience with the Hustlers so I can’t compare them.  I picked up a used Z track with a 60 inch deck and am glad I did.  I mow probably 3 acres though and a lot of it is a flat meadow as we call it.  It’s the bomb out there.

When I get up closer to the house and have contours and trees it gets a little tougher.  The front left deck wheel sometimes gouges into the turf if I turn too sharp in certain spots and getting between some trees is a challenge with the 60.  If I didn’t have the big flat to mow I’d look for a 54.

Either way, don’t turn truly zero turn your zero turn.  You’ll twist a hole in your turf if you don’t keep that pivot wheel turning at least a little bit.

Other thing to note: I added a power flow bagger with 3 bags for fall clean up.  It’s a life saver IMO.  But it doesn’t clean as well as the (2) bagger on the 48 inch rider.  That thing is like a vacuum but it takes way longer due to dumping frequency.

To do it over again I would consider a tow behind bagger for the fall but still don’t know if I’d want to use that for regular mowing.

Edited by Wanderer

I have a toro titan 48 inch and mow about 2 acres. I thought I wanted a bigger one but found a deal on c-list that was too good to pass up. The bigger you get the more scalping can happen. I love mine and takes about an hr to mow so not terrible. Lots of good brands out there, the motor is what you need to pay attention too. You pay more for the higher end motor but should last that much longer. I agree you never turn on a dime or your ruining your lawn. 3 pt turns is the only way. If you want to be fancy get a striping kit. Looks awesome. Those are standard on simplicity’s. 

the place I bought my raptor SD at didn't have a limited to look at.
The big thing is the deck. I thought the sd had a heaver deck then the raptor.

looks like the limited has some of the nice options that the sd has.

The flex forks would be nice