• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Is Upon Us

JBMasterAngler

When I looked out my kitchen window this morning, I almost spit my coffee out! There was a red winged blackbird feeding on one of my suet cakes! I wasn’t expecting to see any of them for at least another 2 weeks or so. Anyone else seeing any early arrivals?

I’ve had swans using a small open spot on the Miss for a couple weeks now.  The roost usually has 16 birds on it.  Yesterday 18 were there.  Every once in a while a few honkers come by but haven’t stayed.

Last Monday I walked the ice near shore to check things out.  Wednesday I couldn’t walk the same path with the ice giving way.  I made a private prediction I’d see breakup in about a week.  It’ll be close I think.  Then I can start watching all the cool diver ducks migrate north again.  Too bad they don’t use this route in the fall. 

Well, count me in for robins now too.  Just took a walk outside.

I see two pairs of geese are hanging with the swans and one pair seems to be locked down on the prime nesting spot in that area.  It’s always the first one picked and probably the most contested spot within my viewing area.

I’m north of Little Falls for area reference.

1 hour ago, JBMasterAngler said:

For any of you that may have cardinal nest boxes (I’m putting one up today), I can’t help but think they would be robin magnets. Any issues?

That's a good question. I assume your cardinal box has an open front? I have seen Robins nest on top of just about anything.

2 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

@smurfy

Don’t sweat it. The Sillytowner’s have been bored lately... ;)  

Hmmm, the ‘s the correct application there? :confused:

:lol:

Is seeing a Morning Dove, in the Morning.  A oxy-moron?  :grin: