• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When to buy wheelhouse

Jmnhunter

so my wife is really liking the idea of purchasing a ice castle for camping/ice fishing-I'm still hesitant on the idea, as I like my mobility- but from what I gathered, it seems like Ice Castle has turned around their quality as far as axles and frames go starting around 2010- seems like the major issues have been resolved? 

I'm really liking the Mille lacs or lake of the woods hybrid models 8x16-with AC and their layouts; but what I've been noticing for the short period of time that I have been looking is that they are really hard to find on the used market! used ones go for nearly as much as new ones or used ones from private sellers are asking for more than what dealers are asking for, and by the time I call a dealer with a used one, they have them sold instantly. I like the idea of purchasing from a dealer due to having alittle bit of some service especially since they have been alittle cheaper-anyone have better luck finding a better pick during late spring-summer months? I would have thought the late summer to winter would have been the worst times to try to find one

23 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

when she said yes!!!

That is exactly the best time! :D

Your best deals new will be year end close out sales but your selection will be hit or miss.  Used houses do hold their value pretty well so if you’re financing, you might be better off buying what you want, new.

Good used houses can pop up, but like you’ve already found out, they don’t stick around long.  Be ready with cash and jump on what you want if/when you find it.

This time of year you could probably deal fairly well at a dealer on last year’s models if they have them. They have room to move.  We bought a 2016 model this past summer for about $5k off the lot price and $10k off MSRP.  It was actually a 2 year old house at that point but it happened to be what we wanted.

thanks for the input guys! thats good to know; one of the well known dealers already had 2019 models, its sounding like i missed out already, may need to wait until late summer when they're pushing out the 19's...

you guys have any recommendations on dealers? already checked out unclaimed in milaca...

Edited by Jmnhunter

19 minutes ago, Jmnhunter said:

thanks RL; yeah the 2015 one sold instantly, and the 17 is a few grand out of budget; here again, i'm not sure how much dealers are willing to haggle?

During the middle of the season, numbers stay tight but I think that during this time of the year there is always room for negotiation. Just go in with your price and stick to it.

Edited by rl_sd

Watch for the Ice Castle auctions coming up in spring.  I've seen 20'+ houses go for under $10k with regularity.  There will be a big one at the factory in Montevideo, which is a lot of their warranty returns & demos.  

Regarding quality, the frames themselves are way better than pre-2010.  But you also have to understand that in an Ice Castle, the frame is the best part of the house.  It is still a gamble if you are getting an okay one, or a total POS.  

Edit to add:  Henslin is doing the Montevideo auction 4/28 at 9:30am.  Google will find the details for you.

Edited by Lip_Ripper Guy

If you'd consider buying from a private seller instead of a dealer, you might want to considering joining a Fbook group called MN Guys Stuff.  I've seen a ton of wheel houses on it lately - in a range of sizes, quality and prices. It seems like now is the time people are selling them.

after himming and haughing, we decided to reverse our decision and buy a house! picked up a 2016 8x16 IC last night; the ole 5.4 ford likes to suck the gas down when that was hooked up! 

couple more questions:

This one doesnt have the foam floor, it seems really weird to me how the wood floor is exposed to the elements, does it pay to get it foamed to help protect it?

How hard is it to check the bearings with the electric brakes in the way? i've done bearings on my boat trailer and its straight forward, but the brakes scare me alittle bit?

22 minutes ago, Jmnhunter said:

after himming and haughing, we decided to reverse our decision and buy a house! picked up a 2016 8x16 IC last night; the ole 5.4 ford likes to suck the gas down when that was hooked up! 

couple more questions:

What did you end up getting and where are the pictures?

22 minutes ago, Jmnhunter said:

This one doesnt have the foam floor, it seems really weird to me how the wood floor is exposed to the elements, does it pay to get it foamed to help protect it?

The floor is treated, but getting the floor spray foamed is some of the best money that you can spend on an IC

How hard is it to check the bearings with the electric brakes in the way? i've done bearings on my boat trailer and its straight forward, but the brakes scare me alittle bit?

If it were mine, I would go ahead and replace the bearings so that you know where you stand.... at the very least I would buy a new set of seals and repack. Even though it is only a few years old, it it hard to say whether it has 1,000 miles or 10,000 miles on it. Don't be afraid of the brakes, just pull the hub off.

Edited by rl_sd

its the Gambler edition, i like the layout, very similar to the LOTW one that i was in earlier this year. I dont have any pics yet

I need to figure out the bearing sizes and such; the guy claimed it probably only has 1k miles on it. How long should the electric brake pads last usually?

You'd have to visually inspect the pads. Some guys like to crank on trailer brakes so they can wear down fast if people do that. That said you should be able to get 15-25,000 miles out of a set if used properly.

for bearing sizes just take them into northern tool they should have what you need.

tried looking at the bearings last night, got all the way to the axle grease cap, darn thing would not come out, just couldnt get a good angle on it vs my boat's, so off to the shop it'll go, thanks again for all of the info