• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Favorite Vacation Place

Big Dave2

If you were going to buy a cabin, lake lot, recreation land, etc. where would it be? What area would this place be in? Up north? Down South? Western MN? Wisconsin? Other?

Personally I have spent a lot of time in Remer, Hill City and now Outing, MN. We like it because of the variety of things to do like fishing, deer hunting, grouse hunting, ATV trail riding, etc. The only thing we don't like is the almost 4 hour drive each way.

So, what is your favorite vacation area and what do you like about it?

If you are looking for something for retirement, go where you wish to go at that time.

If it's something for weekend or occasional use stay within 1-2 hours or it will not be good.(IMO)

I have 40 acres near Perham (180 miles)  I don't use it other than deer hunting, (My daughter and Son-in -Law use it because they live in Ottertail).

I also have a cabin within 40 miles that's used from the middle of May until the mid of Oct. Get what you can use on a regular bases.

My cabin I can go to at anytime with no problem. (Even on a fart storm for a day).

Just my opinion---you have to decide what's best for you.  LOOK TO THE FUTURE-what may seem great now. may not be so great in 10-20 years.

On 3/13/2018 at 1:51 PM, Big Dave2 said:

If you were going to buy a cabin, lake lot, recreation land, etc. where would it be? What area would this place be in? Up north? Down South? Western MN? Wisconsin? Other?

Personally I have spent a lot of time in Remer, Hill City and now Outing, MN. We like it because of the variety of things to do like fishing, deer hunting, grouse hunting, ATV trail riding, etc. The only thing we don't like is the almost 4 hour drive each way.

So, what is your favorite vacation area and what do you like about it?

That is a bit of a drive from Belle Plaine up to "Gods Country" on the weekends Dave. :grin:

My buddy has a cabin on Washburn lake between Outing and Remer so I'm up in that area a lot during the year, nice area.

We have a seasonal over by Merrifield which is about a 2hr drive from home one way. But we love it and are up there just about every weekend during the summer. It's a nice meeting spot for our kids and grandkids to have fun together.

Edited by leech~~

43 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

My buddy has a cabin on Washburn lake between Outing and Remer so I'm up in that area a lot during the year, nice area.

There's a forest campground on that lake too, right?

4 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

There's a forest campground on that lake too, right?

Yep, had to sled over and use the outhouse when we were ice fishing this winter! :lol:

Not sure what they have for hook ups if any?

well from my experience................not that i'm that old but............. i grew up with a cabin in itasca county. from stearns county its a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive depending on variables. we used to do it weekends only, yea was a drive but well worth it. nowadays i try to make it at least a 3 day weekend to make it worth its while.

like i said i grew up with it and wouldnt go anywhere else. i know that area better then the area i live. 

dave, as far as the drive, thats  personal thing noone else can decide for you, you need to decide if thats worth it. like i said making it a 3 day thing instead of 2 days makes it well worth the drive. just a hint ............make that 3rd day a monday.........everyone else leaves sunday, weather turns nice sunday afternoon an you got half the county to yourself usually!!!!!!! 

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Yep, had to sled over and use the outhouse when we were ice fishing this winter! :lol:

Not sure what they have for hook ups if any?

No, there's no hook ups there. Just lots of humming generators when it's hot out. :D

Good fishing in that lake?

BD2 - great input provided here by others.  You need a goal, supporting strategies, and tactics.  Write these out for yourself.  Here is my story.

I've got a 6 hour drive.  So you do not just go to the cabin to cut the grass on Saturday.  Like others stated, you have to make the stay worth the drive time.  I usually travel the afternoon on Thursdays and return on Mondays, so three potential days of fishing.  Fishing was my key goal.  Someday, someday I will be able to stay an entire week.  

Over the years, I fished many of the larger lakes in MN, knowing that I would find a home lake someday as my strategy.  When that happened, I went on a journey to find a home resort, cabin area, or housing area - this took 8 years.  When that happened, it was to find the right lot, place, etc... this step took 4 years - yes I was patient. 

I love where I am at.  Always, nearly always get the fish I am looking for.  It is a challenge, somedays are skunkers; somedays are too breezy; somedays are too wet.  I have great neighbors who are mostly from west-central MN up to Grand Forks type folks, very nice.  

When we setup, my neighbors both came to me and asked if it would be OK if they mowed my lawn since our front yards connected with one and our back yards connected with the other and they both have riding mowers that do good with "long runs."  Yippie!!!  So I end up controlling the weeds and applying very light fertilizer, and buying them each CENEX gift cards each year.

So on goals - some folks want a fancy place, some want a large lot, some want water sports, some want fishing, some want specific species, some want a short drive, some want to be by their home neighbors.  Every goal has a sacrifice too.  Like as short drive might be costly and full of jet skis.  

Good luck with your endeavor!!!

2 hours ago, smurfy said:

Leech wouldn't know!!:D:P rumor has it someone hooks a fish on his line so he can reel it in!!:cry::grin:

Yeah, any time you want to trade fishy pictures Old Man! ;)

It’s no secret I like the Ely area.  It’s just different from what I can get out of other areas of the state.  Lots of room to roam and pretty good privacy while doing it.  But if you’re already having negative thoughts about drive time, it’s not the place you’d probably be happy with.  We’ve even slowed down on going there, so much so that “we” is becoming “I” more and more these days.  I do intend to get back into a regular routine again once life slows down a bit; if that ever happens.

When we first started going there the dream was to move there.  I said my goal was to retire from a minimum wage job in Ely. :D  

That Emily/Fifty Lakes/Outing area is a pretty choice spot to spend time though.  It strikes me as the first real opportunity to be in the wilderness heading north from the Metro and not be too far away from things you need.  Living on the south side makes it tough to get into that type of ecosystem conveniently.  I’m thankful to be just an hour from it now.

MN varies in those ecosystems so much, I think you’ll have to figure out what you prefer there first, then do some checking like Hoey talked about.  And I say this in regard to towns in general that support the areas: What’s their reputation for welcoming new people?  Unless you plan to be a hermit, you’ll get to/have to interact with others.  I’ve noticed some stark differences in the overall vibe of different areas.  Not that everyone fits the same mold but the sense of community means different things in different areas.

Just sayin.

I like the Duluth area!!! ,,, You have Lake Superior (my favorite fishing lake) and several area lakes and the St Louis river for walleyes and musky close by ,,,, Vermilion isn't that far away ,, and there's the free air conditioning with an east wind during the summer,,, Sure it would be nice to have a cabin some where but my home is on 10 acres  and I have the privacy and a lot of outdoor activities right out side my back door ,,, I lived in the cities for 40 years and cant deal with the traffic any more ,,, Rush hour up here is a school bus and a logging truck at a 4 way stop sign

My Favorite lake place is The Pines Resort on Lake Winnibigoshish.  I've been going there for 40 years since I was a kid!

Me & my husband have a park model at the resort and we love to Walleye and Musky fish.  The Pines Resort has NEW owners now in June. You'll be excited to see some changes take place.  Make a reservation & check out the wonderful Lake Winnie and The Pines Resort!!