• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New kind of "bird" at my feeder

Crow Hunter

5 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

They have been hanging in there for the last couple decades in tropical Rochester area.   

Yeah, but somewhere in Iowa there is an imaginary line where the ratio of road kill flips from possums towards coons.

Their fur is pretty thin.   Had one under the deck a few winters ago that would literally shiver as he scavenged bird seed.  Missing a handful of toes, some bits of ear, and the end of his tail was black from frostbite.

About 20 years ago, I plowed my first armadillo in southern Missouri with the car.   Now it's about 50/50 on roadkill whether its a possum or a dillo.   They made their way up from Texas I guess.

Edited by bobbymalone

I can recall,   farther back than you think, of running into one now and then and finding one inn a trap from time to time. And this was MORE than fifty years ago,  so they've been around a while. Maybe just an uptick in the population in southern MN.

first one I ever saw in the flesh was crossing the street one rainy night in Rochester as I was driving to the pool.   Probably in early to mid 80's.  

Now I have them around pretty much every year, competing with the bunnies, racoons, and deer for the bird food.    Doesn't bother me too much since all of them come after the birds are done in the evening.   In the morning I put out half or 3/4 coffee can of black oil seeds.   And we start all over again