• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thick ice, go to auger gas or cordless

rundrave

32 minutes ago, nofishfisherman said:

Gotta lay off that late night chili.  You may like the gas but I assure you no once else does. 

Hogwash, the lakes are still abuzz with gas powered units. Good luck hole hoppen on Red, LOW, Winn or Mill Lacs in late winter ice with those martini blenders!  ?

Edited by leech~~

13 hours ago, Jim Almquist said:

Give it a year or two and you will have a few that will go back. Those that use Milwaukee drills will start to have the clutches start slipping and will find 30" of ice is no fun. Not to say it won't happen to other brands but I use Milwaukee's everyday and have seen it in a lot of that drills at work. As little as I use my Nils it will never be sold.

I doubt it. For $100 I can get a bare Milwaukee drill if I need to. Cheaper then getting my old jiffy model 30 gone through at the small engine shop. 

30in of ice isn't a big deal. Cut plenty of holes with my Milwaukee/clam plate/8in nils in 30in of ice. To be truthful....the setup is way better then my jiffy model 30 8in for cutting 30in of ice. Its faster drilling, lighter when moving, and cuts smooth without all the noise.

I'm with Leech running gas over 14" ice in my hole hoppen Wheel House. I do use a Mwlk Mud Mixer on early ice. I have 4 custom 6, 7 & 8 inch + a 10 Eskimo I no longer use. My average set-up time from picking a spot drilling 6 holes in 30" ice, slushing, air tight banking and line in the water is 4 min 40 seconds. I use a Walker 4000 flex tube sending exhaust out the door or window. New hop move time storing gear raising house & in truck moving under 1 min. At 75 I perfer comfort fishing in short sleve shirt and tennis shoes. My auger arrangement.

20181026_082008.thumb.png.6df600577c1e49994814613811d48545.png

I have no problem going through 2 feet of ice with my Nils and a DeWalt 20V. Only been using that setup for 2 seasons so far, so I guess it's possible the drill will burnout, but it doesn't seem to be putting too much strain on it.

It's entirely possible my perspective is skewed though when it comes to thick ice by have a smaller auger bit. I used to run a 10" Strikemaster chipper style. Cutting through 2 feet of more of ice took a long time and was more of a workout than you'd think. After cutting 4 holes you were almost ready to call it a day before even wetting a line. Now I'm using a 6" laser style blade and it cuts like butter. I would imagine a smaller blade on a gas auger would have been easier and faster.

I’ve had ions since they came out. 3-4-5 (memory isn’t what it used to be) years now and my Strikemaster hasn’t left the shed since. I take it out and run it a couple times a year and put it back. It owes me nothing so I’ll just leave it as is. I sure like the new Pistol Bit but the Ion is fine. 

Edited by Hawg

1 hour ago, Getanet said:

I have no problem going through 2 feet of ice with my Nils and a DeWalt 20V. Only been using that setup for 2 seasons so far, so I guess it's possible the drill will burnout, but it doesn't seem to be putting too much strain on it.

I don't think anyone is questioning if an electric drill can drill through thick ice. We all know they will and do it effortlessly. But you are still limited to your battery life. Not everyone has the means to charge batteries on the fly or wants to. There are pros and cons to both. 

Here is what some of the "pros" have to say :)

22 minutes ago, rundrave said:

I don't think anyone is questioning if an electric drill can drill through thick ice. We all know they will and do it effortlessly. But you are still limited to your battery life. Not everyone has the means to charge batteries on the fly or wants to. There are pros and cons to both. 

This post seemed to be questioning how long drills will last running an auger through ice.

On 10/25/2018 at 4:43 AM, Jim Almquist said:

Give it a year or two and you will have a few that will go back. Those that use Milwaukee drills will start to have the clutches start slipping and will find 30" of ice is no fun. Not to say it won't happen to other brands but I use Milwaukee's everyday and have seen it in a lot of that drills at work. As little as I use my Nils it will never be sold.

1 hour ago, rundrave said:

And all the Pro's make their money by who---equipment sponsors!  ?  

17 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

And all the Pro's make their money by who---equipment sponsors!  ?  

I'm sure there are plenty of pros who happily take Jiffy, Eskimo and Strikemaster's money...but apparently none who will go on camera to say gas augers are the wave of the future.

1 hour ago, leech~~ said:

Um, the thread is called=Thick ice, go to auger gas or cordless.  I'll give my dang thoughts K. ?

Leech I told you I drill through thick ice with my drill I averaged 40-45 holes per battery with over 36 inches of ice. @eyeguy 54 wasn’t it close 42 inches on osakis last winter.

3 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

Leech I told you I drill through thick ice with my drill I averaged 40-45 holes per battery with over 36 inches of ice. @eyeguy 54 wasn’t it close 42 inches on osakis last winter.

That's Great.  You guys don't have to jump all over the Gas guy. Again the thread is. "Thick ice, go to auger gas or cordless"

The OP wanted to hear both sides. You gave a side and I gave a side.  All it well. Relax and keep the charges on! ?

38 minutes ago, monstermoose78 said:

No way leech it’s game on buddy

OK LOW, late March. Winner buys um, dinner or something? I would suggest you bring an extension, charger, extra batteries and your smoothie mixer!   ? 

Choosing between my 8" Nils w/ Tanaka 270 or  8"Nils and Milwaukee M18 Fuel for thick ice. Both are light, dependable, and great speed of cut so its a toss up there.   If you asked me which one will break down first I'll pick the drill.   I say that because I know how many holes the 270 has drilled.    Most of the cost of going electric is in the battery(s).  Replacing a bare tool has gotten relatively cheap.  Besides drills and proprietary electric auger combos, electric powerheads are coming out where just like the drill you mount your auger to.  Trophy Strike is one of them.

If your drilling through thick ice(32" or more) and even through your auger can drill through, you should be cleaning the hole out of chips every foot of so.  Especially when you run into wet holes.  That will lessen the load but most importantly eliminate any chance of the auger getting bound up.

If your using an electric auger then you've answered the question for yourself whether or not it'll replace a gas auger.  Each of us have our own needs and beliefs.    I remember when there weren't any gas augers.   Then one day you'd hear a model 30 rap off piercing the silence while throwing a blue cloud of smoke only to stall half way through a hole then continue on its raucous till it punched through . It was faster then hand drilling and everyone looked and watched with envy.  They are still used to this day. 

Now we grumble "how gauche" or something like that at the Bark of the 30,  coughing like its ready to die a certain death. But no someone started it up again.