• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ion Quick Release

sage123

Has anyone used the Ion ice Auger quick release?  Is it easy to change between an 8" and 10" augers?  When drilling a hole does it feel solid or does it have a little shake to it?   What are your thoughts on it? 

I have one as well for my 8" to 10" augers.   I did run into one issue and I'm not sure why it happened but when lifting it out of the hole (after running in reverse to get ice down hole) the auger came loose and went down the hole.   The quick release was slightly bent open so not sure why or how it happened.  I called ION and they sent me a new one and wanted my old one in return for evaluation.   So always may sure that it is fully locked before drilling.  I was able to retrieve my auger as I was only is about 12' of water and was able to have someone else drill several holes and I was able to hook it with a daredevil and pull it back up.

1 hour ago, kudu63 said:

I have one as well for my 8" to 10" augers.   I did run into one issue and I'm not sure why it happened but when lifting it out of the hole (after running in reverse to get ice down hole) the auger came loose and went down the hole.   The quick release was slightly bent open so not sure why or how it happened.  I called ION and they sent me a new one and wanted my old one in return for evaluation.   So always may sure that it is fully locked before drilling.  I was able to retrieve my auger as I was only is about 12' of water and was able to have someone else drill several holes and I was able to hook it with a daredevil and pull it back up.

Not an ion but my buddy had a similar problem with his quick release on a strikemaster

https://youtu.be/JeT06q7rXX0

As long as you see that it's latched every time you put it on I don't see how it could come off.  I haven't had an issue myself.  It latches quickly and is very obvious if it's latched or not.

The convenience the quick attach adds makes it a no-brainer for me.  I take the auger off the power head when I'm not using it.  They take up a lot less space in the wheelhouse when they are separate.

20 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

The auger falling down the hole is the very first thing I thought of when I read the thread title. I don't think I'd want a quick release on an auger but then again I don't know much about them either. 

It's pretty slick if you're tight on space either in your vehicle or when dragging out a sled.

And the auger going down the hole is a result of OE.