Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

tacklejunkie

Jigs or Lindy rigs

I know. We have a ways yet till open water fishing but which do you guys like better? I had an experience this fall were I fished a local lake and did well on Lindy and a blown up crawler but later fished the same spots with a jig and minnow and did better. If given a choice between those two methods, which do you prefer?

It greatly depends on how the fish are positioned in the water column. If they're hugging bottom, a sign of neutral or negative fish, I'll drop a jig first. Fished slow near bottom, sometimes just dragging it along works. Next, would be a longer snell lindy with a plain hook, maybe a single bead. Higher riding fish tend to be more aggressive, then a lindy spinner rig. Cover water with speed, keeping off bottom and in the strike zone. If that connects with fish, I'd grab a crankbait to eliminate the need for putzin' with livebait. Let the fish deside... 

90 percent of the time a jig. Fish it according to the fishes mood. And with a gulp minnow on it always jig it aggressive. Only use Lindy's or spinners when fish are neutral or highly scattered.

All depends on lots of different circumstances. Body of water, time of year, types of spots I want to fish, etc.

Also, don't forget trolling with Rapalas and the like. I've been fishing a lake every year that when we first started fishing it 20+ years ago we all jigged or used Lindy Rigs. We discovered several years later that most times the best way to catch walleys on this lake at the time of year we are always there, is to troll floating shad raps, kind of fast, through shallow water. I'm guessing that doesn't work at all times of the year though.

For me hands down I prefer lindy rigging. That way I always feel I am near the bottom. I struggle with jigs as I am not sure where it is in the water column. I fish a lot of muddy/weedy lakes so I don't want to drag on bottom and when fishing drop offs and points I am not confident  in keeping the jig in front of fish.. I also have gone to mostly bullet sinkers on my rigs. A lot less snags on junk in the water....

I mostly lindy rig I have the last few years I have been trying to more jigging.

Later in the spring I have started to use nightcrawler with a slow death hook

with great results.  

1 hour ago, paceman said:

For me hands down I prefer lindy rigging. That way I always feel I am near the bottom. I struggle with jigs as I am not sure where it is in the water column. I fish a lot of muddy/weedy lakes so I don't want to drag on bottom and when fishing drop offs and points I am not confident  in keeping the jig in front of fish.. I also have gone to mostly bullet sinkers on my rigs. A lot less snags on junk in the water....

What weight of sinkers do you  like with your Lindy rigs?

I tended to stick with the 3/4 or less regardless of how deep I was fishing but I’ve seen some walking sinkers that were an ounce or more 

Never tried the bullet sinkers but that might be an idea this spring 

Edited by tacklejunkie

On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:40 AM, tacklejunkie said:

What weight of sinkers do you  like with your Lindy rigs?

I tended to stick with the 3/4 or less regardless of how deep I was fishing but I’ve seen some walking sinkers that were an ounce or more 

Never tried the bullet sinkers but that might be an idea this spring 

I primarily use 6# test so can use lighter weights. 1/4 oz when fishing less then 15 feet and if not to windy. 3/8 -1/2 oz when fishing deeper and when windier.