Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

  • Announcements

    • Rick

      Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

      Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

    You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Crow Hunter

Question on a-maze-in smoker

Recommended Posts

I have an electric, round, vertical smoker. I am smoking some kielbasa today. I filled my a-maze-in smoker tray with pellets (tray, not the tube), lit one end. I had it on a rack three or four inches above the heating element, which is round, the tray is not directly over it. I was smoking at 200 degrees. I went out to check it and smoke was pouring out of the smoker. I checked and the entire tray of pellets was burning. This has happened to me before, any ideas? I had blown out the flame on the pellets, so they were just burning coals at the one end, no flame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the heating element is catching the whole tray on fire at once? Is there someplace in your smoker to put the A-maze-n smoker away from the element?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wood smokes as it smolders. If to much air is getting to it, it will burn. That's why must smoker boxes just have small hole in the top of them. When I'm grilling on the gas grill I will wrap smoking wood in a few layers of tin foil and poke a few holes in the top of it with a tooth pick.  Works pretty good. If your wood is burning and not smoking it is getting to much air. You can't always reduce the heat depending on what your cooking and for how long, so try putting some tin foil over your box and poke some holes in it.

 

Three things that a fire needs to burn are Heat, Oxygen, and Fuel (wood).  Reduce the Oxygen she will smoke. :)

Edited by leech~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will try the foil. The smoker is 3-4 inches above the heating element, on a rack. I would think that should be far enough away. I am getting the sense that the smoker is running hotter than the temp gauge in the cover is reading, I guess I will replace the gauge for a second time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

 

Three things that a fire needs to burn are Heat, Oxygen, and Fuel (wood).  Reduce the Oxygen she will smoke. :)

 

Going to have to disagree with you as far as the a-maze-n smoker is concerned. If you look on BBQ forums you will see lots of people having trouble with that device that is solved by adding MORE air to the mixture, especially on electric smokers that are not necessarily designed with an intake. 

 

I still maintain that the heating element being directly under the a-maze-n smoker is the reason the whole thing was burning. I would try moving it or deflecting the heat like mentioned above. The a-maze-n smoker is meant to burn slowly from one end to the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

18 minutes ago, Crow Hunter said:

The smoker is 3-4 inches above the heating element, on a rack. I would think that should be far enough away.

 

That is not far enough, can you place the tray to the side the same amount of distance? I would fill just one row the furthest from the burner. You need to have your vents open pretty much all the way to provide enough oxygen for the pellets to burn and it doesn't hurt to microwave the pellets for a minute or so prior to putting them in the tray to make sure they are dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

 

Going to have to disagree with you as far as the a-maze-n smoker is concerned. If you look on BBQ forums you will see lots of people having trouble with that device that is solved by adding MORE air to the mixture, especially on electric smokers that are not necessarily designed with an intake.

 

I still maintain that the heating element being directly under the a-maze-n smoker is the reason the whole thing was burning. I would try moving it or deflecting the heat like mentioned above. The a-maze-n smoker is meant to burn slowly from one end to the other.

 

Dave since heat is one of the 3 things fire needs to burn I agree with you. Everything will burn at some point with enough heat. But, since the heat source can not always be moved or adjusted to low in a smoker. Limiting some of the air to your wood source will also slow the burning of it. Same reason to damper down and bank a wood stove, to slow down the burn.

Edited by leech~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a pic. The heating element is a continuous loop, if you took a rubber band and made a circle with it, it would look like the element. There is a tray that touches the inside loop of the element; you are supposed to put your sawdust/pellets in it and they should smoulder, that does not work, poor design in my opinion, that's why I got the a-maze-in tray. the rack the a-maze-in tray is sitting on is 2.75" above the element. I suppose I could take the tray that touches the element out to see if that helps. I wonder if I got a couple of fire bricks to set the a-maze-in on if that would fix it.

DSC00771.JPG

Edited by Crow Hunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

 

Dave since heat is one of the 3 things fire needs to burn I agree with you. Everything will burn at some point with enough heat. But, since the heat source can not always be moved or adjusted to low in a smoker. Limiting some of the air to your wood source will also slow the burning of it. Same reason to damper down and bank a wood stove, to slow down the burn.

 

There's no damper or even an air inlet on an electric smoker. The only adjustment possible is partially closing the outtake which is not always a good idea. Plus you need some air when burning smoking wood or you will end up with a white thick smoke that won't taste good on your meat, you want thin, blue smoke.

 

In my particular smoker (Masterbuilt 40") it is advised by most on the BBQ forums to take out the stock chip loader while using an a-maze-n smoker to allow for air flow. 

 

 

13 minutes ago, Crow Hunter said:

Here is a pic. The heating element is a continuous loop, if you took a rubber band and made a circle with it, it would look like the element. There is a tray that touches the inside loop of the element; you are supposed to put your sawdust/pellets in it and they should smoulder, that does not work, poor design in my opinion, that's why I got the a-maze-in tray. the rack the tray is sitting on is 2.75" above the element. I suppose I could take the tray that touches the element out to see if that helps.

DSC00771.JPG

 

Hard to get a sense for distance or depth by a photo but I would still suggest either getting the tray further from the element some way or try the deflector shield mentioned above.

Edited by Big Dave2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Crow Hunter said:

I will try the foil. The smoker is 3-4 inches above the heating element, on a rack. I would think that should be far enough away. I am getting the sense that the smoker is running hotter than the temp gauge in the cover is reading, I guess I will replace the gauge for a second time.

 

3-4 inches above a heating element is not that much considering heat rises....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

 

There's no damper or even an air inlet on an electric smoker. The only adjustment possible is partially closing the outtake which is not always a good idea. Plus you need some air when burning smoking wood or you will end up with a white thick smoke that won't taste good on your meat, you want thin, blue smoke.

 

In my particular smoker (Masterbuilt 40") it is advised by most on the BBQ forums to take out the stock chip loader while using an a-maze-n smoker to allow for air flow.

 

 

I know Dave I have the Char Broil smoker which is a lot like the one you have. The smoker box sits over the heat element and has a lid with holes in the top to keep to much air getting at the wood and starting it burning. Is smolders-smokes for hours before needing refilling. There are air vents at the bottom to let in air for the wood smoke and exhaust vents at the top to let out smoke. Came with a remote so I can watch hunting shows and keep an eye on things and make adjustments from in the house! :)

 

-~458287.jpg

char-broil-digital-electric-smoker-deluxe-d-20151118170145813~458287_alt2.jpg

Edited by leech~~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

 

I know Dave I have the Char Broil smoker which is a lot like the one you have. The smoker box sits over the heat element and has a lid with holes in the top to keep to much air getting at the wood and starting it burning. Is smolders-smokes for hours before needing refilling. There are air vents at the bottom to let in air for the wood smoke and exhaust vents at the top to let out smoke. Came with a remote so I can watch hunting shows and keep an eye on things and make adjustments from in the house! :)

 

-~458287.jpg

char-broil-digital-electric-smoker-deluxe-d-20151118170145813~458287_alt2.jpg

 

I know, I remember the post. Have you ever used an a-maze-n smoker with it?

 

How do you like it? What have you made in it so far?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Big Dave2 said:

 

I know, I remember the post. Have you ever used an a-maze-n smoker with it?

 

How do you like it? What have you made in it so far?

 

I like it a lot. Got it from my kids for a birthday gift.  I have never really thought about adding or needing an additional smoking system because it puts out some very good smoke, I think.  I have done Brisket, two whole chickens, chicken Hot wings, pork loin and a shoulder roast so far. I'm learning a lot from my old nonadjustable smoker that you loaded up and had to keep playing with all day! :crazy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Crow Hunter said:

Here is a pic. The heating element is a continuous loop, if you took a rubber band and made a circle with it, it would look like the element. There is a tray that touches the inside loop of the element; you are supposed to put your sawdust/pellets in it and they should smoulder, that does not work, poor design in my opinion, that's why I got the a-maze-in tray. the rack the a-maze-in tray is sitting on is 2.75" above the element. I suppose I could take the tray that touches the element out to see if that helps. I wonder if I got a couple of fire bricks to set the a-maze-in on if that would fix it.

DSC00771.JPG

 

 

I'm thinking cover the holes on the bottom with a chunk of steel,,,   just my 2 cents....   at least to try...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much air should not be a problem with an amazing smoker.. If you leave it out in the open its not going to start a flame unless you sit there and blow on it even then it takes a little bit of blowing.

 

I would say its a little so close to the element

 

 

its a smoker like this right? there more parts to it that make it higher and another grate that you cook on? the chips should go like this I would say that bowl is suppose to act as a diffuser plate but it almost looks to small it should cover your heating coil completely I would say.

 

I would tinfoil that grate the a maze smoker is on and poke some holes on the bottom.

 

 

If you cant figure it out with the info people give here

go to smokingmeatforum

 

Post about it there more than likely Todd will see it and be able to help.

He is the one that invented the amazesmoker

 

 

43.jpg

55.jpg

123.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine does look like the one above. There are three racks, I have the amaze-in smoker on the lowest of the three racks. If I move it up higher I will only have one rack to put meat on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Cold smoking stuff like cheese is another good reason to get an a-maze-n smoker.

doing that right now!!!!!!!!!!!:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Crow Hunter said:

Mine does look like the one above. There are three racks, I have the amaze-in smoker on the lowest of the three racks. If I move it up higher I will only have one rack to put meat on.

 

Need to put something between the a-maze-n smoker and the heat source.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:40 AM, Big Dave2 said:

 

Need to put something between the a-maze-n smoker and the heat source.

Agreed

You can always do a mail box mod. You would have to cut a hole in the side of the smoker though. But it would eliminate any problem if all else fails.

Edited by ZachD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah. Attach a box to the side of the smoker to put the amazein in?  Interesting idea. I was thinking of getting an unglazed tile a little larger than the amazein and try having it sit on that. I would not have a problem cutting a hole in the smoker if that would solve the issue, tho. Thanks for the thoughts, everybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Crow Hunter said:

Ah. Attach a box to the side of the smoker to put the amazein in?  Interesting idea. I was thinking of getting an unglazed tile a little larger than the amazein and try having it sit on that. I would not have a problem cutting a hole in the smoker if that would solve the issue, tho. Thanks for the thoughts, everybody.

 

Try wrapping a sheet of tin foil over the top of it and poke small holes.  It's cheap to try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now




  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • some people are bad apples that give the sport a bad name, I as a snowmobiler have respect for driveways. FYI driveway approaches are on the public right of way, you may not block them, or place anything that can injure someone. trail groomers actually do you a favor by knocking down the bank, to keep it level. unless your groomer was not well trained, they will not groom over your driveway.
    • If code allows post frame for residential construction then by design you don't need a block foundation. 
    • Perfect that awnsers my question. Why spend $250 when I could spend $150 on a new lazer bit and cuts faster, it’s more durable but still about same weight and a chipper but. Really a no brainer. What are you seeing for drilling time with that 8 inch lazer?
    • From my experience one of my only complaints with the Kdrill is how slow it drills. It more than gets the job done but my laser 8” is faster.
    • So I’ve always fished 8 inch holes but really why? Most Anything can fit through a 6 inch hole anyway. I was thinking maybe for next season of getting a 6 or 8 inch I drill and putting it on my 1.5hp solo. Right now it’s about 24lb which is light but with the k drill it would be lighter yet. My question is would I be getting any more speed out of a k drill vs regular SM chipper bit? And then I can invest in a nice Milwaukee fuel and there we go.
    • Hi there, new here. Found this place because of this older topic.  We are planning a pole barn home on a slab. This is the 1st one in our township and the inspector seems unsure about the requirements for the slab "foundation" and insulation. When we started last year the old inspector said if the poles are through the frost level (42") you can just lay down a flat 4" slab. The new inspector seems to think it needs a foundation. Not finding much info online for this specific build. Plan as of right now. 4" radon pea gravel and barrier, 4" rock, 2" foam, heat tubes, steel mesh with 4" concrete over that. Someone here know the county (Isanti) spec for something like this? Township overrules county.  Thanks.   https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=376864&DisplayType=nested
    • BB gun?  Hows that for a 1st post?   
    • Ahh. Thanks for your story PRO-V. That’s what I’m trying to avoid. Plus it’s about 400 feet of hose to get to the banks...
    • A couple years ago I just got done plowing my driveway with the wheeler. Along comes an adult snowmobiler with his kid following behind. Guy crosses driveway and stops on top of opposite bank. Then he guns his machine sending all the snow back in the driveway. This is not a trail, just random ditch riders. Well I was outside and saw him do it. I jumped in my truck and cut him off at a road crossing 2 blocks away. I jumped out and royally chewed his azz and told him what a bad example he was setting for the kid. I think he got the message. For awhile after that I sprayed water on the banks to freeze them. No respect, they wouldn't want you doing that to their driveway. 
  • MWO