• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Navionics App... Favorite Feature?

Matt Johnson

I've been playing around with the Navionics App for my smart phone more and more lately, and it's amazing just how many features that App actually has!  What is your favorite feature?

Me... I like the Depth Shading and the Fishing Range features.  Both allow me to customize my maps.  Crazy the technology we have at our fingertips now!

I've had the Navionics app for at least a couple of years now and I don't know what any of those features even mean. :blush: I literally don't even know how to mark a waypoint. I just use it get to a certain area or spot on a lake then work from there. I should probably start figuring out how the darn thing works........:crazy:

I like to chuckle at the waypoints other people have down loaded.

Some you know are real and some others just gotta be bait... :lol:

I haven’t worked many of the options but I like taking a few time out minutes here and there to just look at different lakes.  I can study the details of particular areas or pan out to view the major structural characteristics of an entire bay or body of water.  The shading and contours can give you a really good perspective of where fish travel and congregate.

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

Some you know are real and some others just gotta be bait... :lol:

I think it's more some are mistakes by people that don't know that they handing out markers and the rest are bait.  

Sharing your GPS coordinates is the dumbest feature of that app.

I use the track function on lakes that I don’t know. That way I can get off of the lake the exact same way that I got on. I also like the distance ruler. The one thing that I have yet to figure out is how to send some a marker and have it open up into the App. I can txt it to them, but it takes you to a web interface, not the app itself.  Maybe I’m doing something wrong ?

13 hours ago, eyeguy 54 said:

never gonna use that :)

I like this :)

IMG_4196.PNG

Here's how much I use the features.....:D

navionics.png

The 1 track and 1 route must be something it saved on it's own because I don't even know how to do that!

you could at least mark where you live. :) 

1 hour ago, rl_sd said:

I use the track function on lakes that I don’t know. That way I can get off of the lake the exact same way that I got on. I also like the distance ruler. The one thing that I have yet to figure out is how to send some a marker and have it open up into the App. I can txt it to them, but it takes you to a web interface, not the app itself.  Maybe I’m doing something wrong ?

I just take a pic and text it. they can enter coordinates. just hit the search upper left then lat,long tab 

Super App. I use SonarChartLive creating new contours linking to my WIFI Vex SonarPhone & 10" Samsung Tablet - tracks are automatic with this. Looking forward to the future "On-The-Fly" markers. (Markers, Tracks & Routes are private those i like). Only use community edits for warnings like rocks thin ice etc. as everyone sees them.

If you want better understanding of the App, go to Help in settings. Also here is a webinar Youtube on the App

http://zumfap.ru/mobile/video/c_EtSKT1NDM

7 hours ago, rl_sd said:

This is how you share. Last screen select how you want to share. 

markers.mp4

Edited by papadarv

On 1/23/2018 at 4:13 PM, Matt Johnson said:

I've been playing around with the Navionics App for my smart phone more and more lately, and it's amazing just how many features that App actually has!  What is your favorite feature?

Me... I like the Depth Shading and the Fishing Range features.  Both allow me to customize my maps.  Crazy the technology we have at our fingertips now!

I've been playing around with the shading as well. It really helps when scouting new lakes to help narrow down potential spots and chop the lake down. I didn't know this feature even existed until talking with a friend the other day about how we setup our depth finders and he said he starts with a wide depth range in the morning and if he starts seeing a pattern depth wise he will start closing the range. I checked the app and sure enough it's in there. When I got home I figured out how to do it on the depth finder in the boat. 

I also like it when out on the lake to figure out where I'm headed next. My phone is much quicker than my graph for jumping around. 

On a side note, has anyone else been sitting in their boat dreaming about open water? I haven't been able to get out much this winter with kids activities taking up a lot of time and when nothing is scheduled it's way too cold. I think I've drank more beer in my boat this winter than I did all summer!

6 hours ago, Notime said:

So Which app is this? I see several on the play store. Some are pay and some are free. Thanks!

Boating USA $9.95 first year annual subscription, $4.95  renewal each year thereafter. Boating HD USA $54.95 year 1 $14.95 thereafter designed for tablets. Both offered Free for 15 days with high def maps under SonarChart map option. After free expires only Navionics option maps available created prior to 2011. Also have US + Canada and many other countries. ISO (Apple phones) also avaiilable from app store simular pricing. 

Example of the two map options screenshot. 

20180206_082552.png