• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wine Making

Anyone here make their own wine? 

I have been doing a little research on the process and plan to give it a shot this year. One of our favorite wines is Redass Rhubarb from Hill City SD and we like other fruit wines. My wife likes anything fruity and sweet. It may take me a while to dial in a few internet recipes to something we like but that's part of the fun.

I think I would try making some now but I think I would have to turn up our thermostat to get through the fermentation. It appears that a temp of 70-75 is necessary and our house is usually 62-68 this time of the year.

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

Anyone here make their own wine?

I have been doing a little research on the process and plan to give it a shot this year. One of our favorite wines is Redass Rhubarb from Hill City SD and we like other fruit wines. My wife likes anything fruity and sweet. It may take me a while to dial in a few internet recipes to something we like but that's part of the fun.

I think I would try making some now but I think I would have to turn up our thermostat to get through the fermentation. It appears that a temp of 70-75 is necessary and our house is usually 62-68 this time of the year.

Dave, head over to "Our Lady of the Prairie" this Sunday. You can get free Wine!  :grin:

Edited by leech~~

Wine making

If you want a sweet and fruity wine --Stay away from those that are made of flowers (dandelion, clover ect.) You can make wine out of just about anything, It all depends on the flavor you want.  Sugar water and yeast fermented makes the alcohol, the rest is for flavor.

Flowers make a dry wine, some of the best dry wine I ever made was from dandelions (blossoms only) and it takes lots of blossoms to make a gallon of that.

If you have access to wild plums- go for it and I think you will enjoy.

Yeast is important- get the wine yeast, ordinary yeast is killed way before the fermentation should be done. Do some research and you'll screw up on some ,but learn in the process.

It's all trial and a lot of error.

Good Luck --Just like cooking on a grill --experiment.:)

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Dave, head over to "Our Lady of the Prairie" this Sunday. You can get free Wine!  :grin:

I've had plenty of their wine over the years, I'm not a fan and it's definitely not free....;)