• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Never thought i would say this!!!!

Hawg

FLEET SUCKS!!!!! Since the new company took over everything you need is sold out, empty pegs. Every department is the same, not just fishing. No Gander bashing in Brainerd anymore. I wish they would reopen soon. Fleets prices are rising fast too. 

The pricing for sure. It always seemed like it could be worthwhile to stop in Owatonna for things if I was close but then they opened in Mankato and on their grand opening weekend I noticed that they had their prices at least as high as other places selling the same items which really surprised me. 

Personally I would like to see Runnings expand to more areas 

I have not been a fan of Fleet for years.   Especially the one here in St Cloud.  Rarely has any stock and if it in the sales flyer the store didn't have any to start with.  If you need 4 of a particular item you might get 3 and this would be in the farm section/hardware.  I know I haven't been there for years.  Don't miss is at all.

I'm sure online shopping competition has something to do with it, coupled with the fact that there are probably less avid hunters and fisher-people than there were 20 years ago. 

I still go to Fleet Farm for anything outdoors related. There isn't too much I need to buy any more, I just have to dig it all out and blow off the dust. If I do need something I will probably need it in a hurry so I just get it at a bait shop near where I am fishing. Might be a dollar or two more but in the grand scheme of things it probably saves me money.

8 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

I'm sure online shopping competition has something to do with it, coupled with the fact that there are probably less avid hunters and fisher-people than there were 20 years ago. 

Gotta disagree with ya here. I don't really buy the "numbers are declining" mantra, at least in the fishing world. Ice fishing has EXPLODED the last handful of years, and people are way more into their "gear" now days than 10-20 yrs ago.

But, yes, online shopping is huge and crushing department stores.

35 minutes ago, BRULEDRIFTER said:

Gotta disagree with ya here. I don't really buy the "numbers are declining" mantra, at least in the fishing world. Ice fishing has EXPLODED the last handful of years, and people are way more into their "gear" now days than 10-20 yrs ago.

But, yes, online shopping is huge and crushing department stores.

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-scrambles-to-rekindle-hunting-fishing-outdoors-participation/390808941/

http://www.kare11.com/article/life/outdoors/dnr-concerned-over-drop-in-fishing-and-hunting/269712705

In the 1960s and 1970s about 40 percent of Minnesotans age 16 and older purchased a fishing license. That began to decline in the 1980s and today, just 27 percent of Minnesota residents age 16 and older fish and 12 percent hunt.

License sales are declining even though population is rising sharply. Now I'm not claiming to know how this all translates into the sales of fishing and hunting gear but I don't think it could be good. I also think that even though license sales are still relatively strong here in Minnesota, I don't think as many of those license holders are as avid as they used to be. Lots of people buy a fishing license now days and only go out on opener or that once a year Mille Lacs trip with their buddies. Those people aren't buying much gear if any.  

I think people like you and I are getting a skewed view of the popularity of hunting and fishing because we presumably surround ourselves with people who are avid fans. I think there are so many more options for people now days when it comes to entertaining themselves that less and less people are avid at anything. They like to split their time between many activities and types of entertainment rather than pour themselves into one particular pursuit.

Fair enough.

But in the 60's and 70's, what was MN's population?  What is MN's population now? (rhetorical ?'s).

Is 27% of today's population of this demographic less than it was in the 60's and 70's?  I mean, look around on every lake and all the forums here and on Facebook.  Lakes are PACKED and people are blowing piles of money on all the new gear. Based on my experience on the water during my life, it's clear the numbers of people fishing has exploded in recent years, especially in the ice fishing world. I really got into ice fishing in the early 2000's when I lived up in Ely.  I started the old school way, too, with a bucket, hand auger, jigging sticks and a tip-up. The lakes were empty! (aside from the 2-3 community holes with all the permanent houses, and even those were tame compared to today). Most of the time, there wasn't a sole on the lakes I fished, especially the trout lakes.  Our annual Trout Camp up there started around '05 and opening day was down on Miners Lake. Up until the last 4-5 years, there was at best, maybe a dozen houses on the whole lake. Last year, in just the small "narrows" area we fish, there were 40+ houses; and because it was so nice, dozens of people were just out hole hopping. As far as I could see in the main lake, there were at least another 50+ shacks out there. Where were all of these folks 10 years ago if fishing numbers have been in such a decline?  I just don't buy it.  Hunting, I can see, but the gear available now is off the charts compared to 10 years ago.

Tying this to the OP, Fleet Farm is doing its customer base a total disservice by not keeping their shelves stocked with gear this early in the ice season.  However, in their defense, they probably didn't expect such a huge rush of people out spending all they have on the latest and greatest ice gear, either.

26 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

I also think that even though license sales are still relatively strong here in Minnesota, I don't think as many of those license holders are as avid as they used to be. Lots of people buy a fishing license now days and only go out on opener or that once a year Mille Lacs trip with their buddies. Those people aren't buying much gear if any.  

I think a lot more people than you think are diving in head first with all the comforts available for ice fishing.

Edited by BRULEDRIFTER

You're right Drifter, if there's that few of us out there you think they would have enough to last more than 2 weeks in December. I think it has more to do with the purchasing philosophy of the new company, not that Mills were THAT much better. 

Fleet started minding their inventory closer well before the buyout.  I used to shop at the Brooklyn Park store the most and the good stuff was always gone early.  It was like someone came in for certain things, reached to the back of the peg and pulled everything into their basket.

I mostly shop at the Baxter store now and see some of the same thing.  Maybe not quite as bad but bad enough to know that if I didn’t but what I wanted 2 months before needing it, I was foolish to EXPECT to find it.

No retailers want carryover inventory anymore.  Are the new owners wrecking it?  Maybe some but I think it’s just retail in general moving that direction.

Haters going to hate!  ;)

I love Fleet Farm go there for stuff not only outdoor related sometimes a few times a week. Some days I go there just to wonder around and look for craap I don't have just to get out of the house!  I wonder around Cabala's too but can't or wouldn't pay their prices for most stuff!  Runnings and L & M are cool and very much like Fleet Farm if you ask me. 

The rest of these suk worst.

Cabala's lot of stuff to high priced-unless on sale.

Gander to high price and they took care of themselves=Out of bizz.

Dick's-have nothing and to high priced.

Joe's way to high price.

Capra's high priced and worthless may as shut their doors.

Reed's cool to look around and wait for stuff to go on sale.

Scheels cool to look around and wait for stuff to go on sale.

Wal-Mart sporting goods-Bahahaha nothing.

Did I miss any?

1 hour ago, BRULEDRIFTER said:

Fair enough.

But in the 60's and 70's, what was MN's population?  What is MN's population now? (rhetorical ?'s).

Is 27% of today's population of this demographic less than it was in the 60's and 70's? 

Re-read my post above. We went from 40% of people 16 and older to 27%.

I mean, look around on every lake and all the forums here and on Facebook. 

Better not use this forum as an example, it's as dead as dead can be. 

Tying this to the OP, Fleet Farm is doing its customer base a total disservice by not keeping their shelves stocked with gear this early in the ice season.  However, in their defense, they probably didn't expect such a huge rush of people out spending all they have on the latest and greatest ice gear, either.

Don't you think this winter ice fishing season has been a little different than the past several? When was the last time we had 15-17" of good ice and basically no snow to hinder travel in the first week of January? I think you would have seen empty shelves no matter who owned Fleet Farm.

1 hour ago, Wanderer said:

Fleet started minding their inventory closer well before the buyout.  I used to shop at the Brooklyn Park store the most and the good stuff was always gone early.  It was like someone came in for certain things, reached to the back of the peg and pulled everything into their basket.

I mostly shop at the Baxter store now and see some of the same thing.  Maybe not quite as bad but bad enough to know that if I didn’t but what I wanted 2 months before needing it, I was foolish to EXPECT to find it.

No retailers want carryover inventory anymore.  Are the new owners wrecking it?  Maybe some but I think it’s just retail in general moving that direction.

i agree 100%. in what i'e done for a living this has been happening for 20 years or more. less inventory, get the stuff as or when needed, get it to me yesterday cause the customer wants it the day before!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Re-read my post above. We went from 40% of people 16 and older to 27%.

Better not use this forum as an example, it's as dead as dead can be. 

Don't you think this winter ice fishing season has been a little different than the past several? When was the last time we had 15-17" of good ice and basically no snow to hinder travel in the first week of January? I think you would have seen empty shelves no matter who owned Fleet Farm.

There are way more folks 16 and over now than there were in the 60's or 70's.   So 40% of that demographic back then, is probably less than or the same as 27% of that demographic today.

This isn't a shot at you, but you must not get out fishing much?  I know you're a busy man with your business and health, so I don't blame you. But man, it's not gloom and doom out there as far as recruitment of new anglers. There are plenty of folks in MN that are taking up ice fishing. Plus with all of the seasonal layoffs in this state, people are getting on the water!

This forum is the dead sea because Facebook and Instagram have taken over this niche (not sure why, but it has). You must not have FB and follow Ice Fishing MN or Fishing MN over there.  It's NUTS!

I think the reason this year is so much busier (as well as previous years) is due to the influx of people participating in ice fishing. Just look at the FB pages dedicated to ice fishing and you can see a snapshot of folks joining the ranks, or go visit your local lakes and see for yourself.  On these pages there have been dozens of posts from people that are new to ice fishing just this year and dozens more from folks that are a few years deep. Ice fishing is so "easy" now for people to get into.  As long as people are willing (and it blows my mind how many there are) to drop $1-2K to get fully outfitted with the latest and greatest set ups, they have everything they need to be successful and comfortable in what was once an very "hard-core" pursuit. 

Again, this ties back into stores being in short supply so early in the season. Not because they went light on inventory, but because inventory flew off the shelves so fast. 

Edited by BRULEDRIFTER

4 minutes ago, BRULEDRIFTER said:

There are way more folks 16 and over now than there were in the 60's or 70's.   So 40% of that demographic back then, is probably less than or the same as 27% of that demographic today.

You do realize that still means it is in decline, right?

This isn't a shot at you, but you must not get out fishing much?  I know you're a busy man with your business and health, so I don't blame you. But man, it's not gloom and doom out there as far as recruitment of new anglers. There are plenty of folks in MN that are taking up ice fishing. Plus with all of the seasonal layoff in this state, people are getting on the water!

I've been out on the lake all day every day since Friday. Oh, I agree, in the metro there are lots of fisherpeople. Lots of fish houses out on the lake for sure but I don't think that has changed much in my opinion. I've been out on these lakes way before 2000 and there have always been lots of ice anglers, especially in the metro.

This forum is the dead sea because Facebook and Instagram have taken over this niche (not sure why, but it has). You must not have FB and follow Ice Fishing MN or Fishing MN over there.  It's NUTS!

Now you are 0-2. I do have facebook and I know why these forums are quiet. I have stated the reason many times on this site. I was merely making a joke that you said there is lots of activity on this site but we both know that's not true.

I think the reason this year is so much busier (as well as previous years) is due to the influx of people participating in ice fishing. Just look at the FB pages dedicated to ice fishing and you can see a snapshot of folks joining the ranks, or go visit your local lakes and see for yourself.  On these pages there have been dozens of posts from people that are new to ice fishing just this year and dozens more from folks that are a few years deep. Ice fishing is so "easy" now for people to get into.  As long as people are willing (and it blows my mind how many there are) to drop $1-2K to get fully outfitted with the latest and greatest set ups, they have everything they need to be successful and comfortable in what was once an very "hard-core" pursuit. 

This year is busier at the stores because of weather cooperation. If it were still warm with lots of sketchy ice and 12" of snow on top, your local Fleet Farm would still be stocked full of ice fishing gadgetry for your purchasing pleasure.

Again, this ties back into stores being in short supply so early in the season. Not because the went light on inventory, but because inventory flew off the shelves so fast. 

Because of the early, good ice. Nothing more, nothing less.

7 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

You do realize that still means it is in decline, right?

I've been out on the lake all day every day since Friday. Oh, I agree, in the metro there are lots of fisherpeople. Lots of fish houses out on the lake for sure but I don't think that has changed much in my opinion. I've been out on these lakes way before 2000 and there have always been lots of ice anglers, especially in the metro.

Now you are 0-2. I do have facebook and I know why these forums are quiet. I have stated the reason many times on this site. I was merely making a joke that you said there is lots of activity on this site but we both know that's not true.

This year is busier at the stores because of weather cooperation. If it were still warm with lots of sketchy ice and 12" of snow on top, your local Fleet Farm would still be stocked full of ice fishing gadgetry for your purchasing pleasure.

Because of the early, good ice. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm not sure it's declining. I understand your percentage argument but you also have to concede that ice castles, thermal portables, better augers, buddy heaters and other inventions have allowed people to fish more and fish longer in more elements.

Also, I read a decent article that showed people have been ditching snowmobiles for ice castles and that is a huge growing trend among outdoors enthusiasts. 

Maybe it seems like more people are fishing now because those that are fishing are out more.  All this tech and comfort makes ice fishing more like camping and playing video games than sitting on a bucket with a jiggle stick.  The other part is people are EVERYWHERE now.  Shanty towns don’t seem as concentrated.  At least not where I fish.  There are so few “secret” spots.  Anyone who wants to fish away from the crowd just has to follow an app.

The numbers might say different but I feel I’m seeing WAY more pressure out there than 20-30 years ago.

Well, the population is a lot higher than it was in the 60's and 70's but the other thing is that the population is much more urban than it was then as well as diverse. Not as many Sven's and Ole's and a lot more south Americans and middle easterns who have very low participation rates. There may be a higher percentage of outstate, equal suburban and lower urban numbers. 

Any idea on the amonut if money spent per person who does it now vs then? My guess is that is far higher.