• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Strikemaster Lazer Auger Blades

Big Dave2

I haven't done much ice fishing the last few years so I am kind of out of the loop on some stuff. I have an old Strikemaster Lazer auger that is in bad need of new blades. Can I still trade in the old ones like I used to and buy re-sharpened ones or is that not a thing anymore? I don't seem to see these on the shelf anywhere anymore...

Auger blades.jpg

I just see packages of new blades like this:

lazer auger blades.jpg

Edited by Big Dave2

I’d call a few of your favorite bait shops to see if they carry them.  The cost of lazer blades is one reason I got rid of mine (10 inch).  Plus, I’m not sure if the “thing” was one shop resharpening or if they were done by locals with a jig or something, but I found so much less life in resharpened Lazer blades it hardly made it worth the money saved.

Coulda just been the shop I was getting them from?  But good riddance anyway.

I tune up my Ion blades myself.  My gas auger is an older Eskimo which has about the same blades so I can handle those too.

19 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

I’d call a few of your favorite bait shops to see if they carry them.  The cost of lazer blades is one reason I got rid of mine (10 inch).  Plus, I’m not sure if the “thing” was one shop resharpening or if they were done by locals with a jig or something, but I found so much less life in resharpened Lazer blades it hardly made it worth the money saved.

Coulda just been the shop I was getting them from?  But good riddance anyway.

I tune up my Ion blades myself.  My gas auger is an older Eskimo which has about the same blades so I can handle those too.

I hear ya. I'll never buy another Lazer auger again just because of the blade hassle. I wish I never would have went away from the old chipper blades.

On 1/3/2018 at 6:02 PM, Big Dave2 said:

I hear ya. I'll never buy another Lazer auger again just because of the blade hassle. I wish I never would have went away from the old chipper blades.

Still a lot of bait shops doing it, just not in your area. Guess I'm fortunate where I live to have a sharpening shop in town that always does a great job; and for a fraction of even the exchange price. Never had to do the exchange deal; not a fan. The problem with the exchange is you don't know what your getting for what you gave up. Once the pitch is pounded out of wack, they need to go to the Strikemaster shop. Problem is you'll never know til you put them to the test. They can be sharp as a razor, but if they don't grab, GOOD LUCK!

With now very close to 20 inches out there now, the old Lazar Mag has been sippin' gas, blowin' smoke and throwin' chips... 

3 hours ago, rl_sd said:

How long do they last?

Never counted holes, inches of ice or months.  When they quit cutting clean I tune em up.  The worst I’ve noticed is when I tried fishing on the river.  There is enough sediment locked in the ice it knocks the edge off your blades pretty quickly.

Just work the angled side, not the flat side, in order to keep your pitch.