• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Amount of lp used in subzero weather?

TRDtom69

How much LP can a guy expect to use in a couple of days when the temps are down blow zero like it currently is?

I have a 14' IC with two 30# tanks.  Will it have a problem making Friday-Sunday with temps so far blow zero?

The floor is foamed and there should be a good amount of snow for banking around the house.

You should be able to go a long time with two #30 tanks and a spray foamed floor. I also have a 14' IC and it's never gave me an issue in sub zero weather. I find it peace of mind to run one tank during the day time and the other tank overnight so I know they don't run empty. You can also keep a 14' IC very warm with a big buddy heater on medium if you get in a pinch.

When we used to stay in our 40 ft camper in Ely for laker fishing weekends we went through about 1 30 lbr per day in weather like this weekend.  Much less than when it stayed above 0.

Thats with open air underneath and no additional Insulation.

We dropped the T-stat to 50 when we were gone during the day.

You can actually calculate propane consumption to some degree. each gallon of propane contains 91,500BTUs @60*  There is about 6.8 gallons  of propane in a 30 lb tank so 622,200BTUs per tank. If you have say a 30,000 btu heater so in a perfect world you would have 20.74 hours of run time (heater on 100%) Id say take 20% off  of that figure because I doubt you'll actually get that much out of a tank in below zero. so say 16.5 hours of heater on 100%. Now your heater run time will more than likely be on 40-60% of the time so lets say 50% on time for this example would get you 33 hours of fishing time on a tank...

We only used one 30# tank last weekend from Friday through Sunday and kept it at 70 degrees.  I was surprised that it never switched over to the other tank.  I ran out right away when I fired the furnace up to thaw it out at home.

Even with these cold temps, the sunny side of the house felt warm to the touch on the outside.  The dark siding really helps when it's sunny and not so windy.

On December 31, 2017 at 3:39 PM, TRDtom69 said:

How much LP can a guy expect to use in a couple of days when the temps are down blow zero like it currently is?

I have a 14' IC with two 30# tanks.  Will it have a problem making Friday-Sunday with temps so far blow zero?

The floor is foamed and there should be a good amount of snow for banking around the house.

Hard to really know/tell......how many times are guys going to go outside to pee or do other things......Is anyone gonna be smoking causing for a window to be cracked? Are guys comming & going fishing out of shacks or the area? 

I've got an 8x16 house. I figure About a lb per hour ruffly, so I figure a 30#tank will go about 30hrs. Which so far has covered me fine and been on the conservative side. Plus 30hrs per tank makes for pretty easy figuring. In your case I'd have either an extra 20# or 30# tank, just for a backup....not saying you'd need it.....just nothing worse then running out of LP and having to make a run....especially when sleeping. Plus a guy never knows......A filled 30lb extra tank can bring a very nice "exchange" fee if the neighbor runs out of LP and wants to exchange his empty one with your extra full tank......Just because of this I'll throw in that "extra" tank I don't really need. 

I've got 4-30# tanks though and a 5th at my MIL if I want it....

I typically get 3 full 24 hour days out of a 30#, but this last weekend had an abnormal amount of visitors coupled with the extreme cold, so it was about 48 hours per 30#.  I don't think they were quite empty, but they were as low as they were going to get at -30.  

It won’t be as cold this weekend thankfully but I get to test ours with 30’s.  I just filled 2 - 30’s last night and swapped out the 20’s on our new True North toy hauler (8x21).  I expect to have more heat loss with ramp serving as a wall.

We didn’t have a problem with the 20’s during deer season; I think each 20 lasted a weekend but I didn’t really keep track.  But being at deer camp (a friends yard) vs being on a large lake are two different animals.  It’ll be interesting to find out.

5 hours ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

I typically get 3 full 24 hour days out of a 30#, but this last weekend had an abnormal amount of visitors coupled with the extreme cold, so it was about 48 hours per 30#.  I don't think they were quite empty, but they were as low as they were going to get at -30.  

How did the in-floor work at the extreme temps?

2 hours ago, rl_sd said:

How did the in-floor work at the extreme temps?

It just plain works awesome.  A group of 4 showed up to visit and the 2 ladies had freezing cold feet.  They looked at me pretty funny when I told them to take off their boots and stand on the floor.  Within about 2 minutes they were warm!

On 1/3/2018 at 9:50 AM, Wanderer said:

It won’t be as cold this weekend thankfully but I get to test ours with 30’s.  I just filled 2 - 30’s last night and swapped out the 20’s on our new True North toy hauler (8x21).  I expect to have more heat loss with ramp serving as a wall.

We didn’t have a problem with the 20’s during deer season; I think each 20 lasted a weekend but I didn’t really keep track.  But being at deer camp (a friends yard) vs being on a large lake are two different animals.  It’ll be interesting to find out.

Made 48 hours on the first 30.  I haven’t checked to see how much is left.  Strong winds most of the weekend that started at -20.  I’m happy with that.