• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

After Market Remote Start

My son has a 2004 Buick regal that had an aftermarket remote start installed when we bought it.  The car starts fine with the remote start but after a few minutes of running the car shuts off and then automatically restarts the engine.  I have a little knowledge of how the remote start systems typically work but i am not an expert.  I assume it is loosing a tach signal but i was hoping someone would maybe have a little more knowledge on the subject.  I am not sure of the brand but the below is a picture of the key fob.

20171228_100817.jpg

We have remote starts in 3 vehicles. I have the factory one in my Ram, my wife an aftermarket in her Durango and my daughter has one in her car that she can start from anywhere with an app on her phone.

The aftermarket ones can have glitches due to the vast differences in wiring across the market. Take it to an authorized installer and have them trouble shoot it.

3 hours ago, delcecchi said:

I'm old school, wondering why anyone needs to start their car remotely, unless of course they are worried about "boom" 

Glad to see you, Jeremy.  

Really?

On a day like today you can't figure out any reason a remote start could be handy?

Edited by Big Dave2

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

Really?

On a day like today you can't figure out any reason a remote start could be handy?

we have a garage.  and I distinguish "need" from "want".  So you start the car and let it idle so you don't have to endure 5 minutes of chill? 

You don't start your car and let it warm up when it is -15?

7 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

and I distinguish "need" from "want".  

So you "need" the internet and the device you are posting on? How about your sous vide machine? ;)

Do you really even "need" a car? A horse works fine, doesn't it? :D

Edited by Big Dave2

my, my, pretty hostile there.   Have a remote start if you want the gadget.   Still seems sort of silly to me.   I get in the car, sit there for maybe a minute and drive off.  

-------

Sexism?  Seriously?  

Edited by delcecchi

4 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

my, my, pretty hostile there.   Have a remote start if you want the gadget.   Still seems sort of silly to me.   I get in the car, sit there for maybe a minute and drive off.  

Some may say that the person telling others what they want or need is the "hostile" one....

4 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

-------

Sexism?  Seriously?  

joke chill.jpg

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

-------

Sexism?  Seriously?  

What if you are away from the house for the day? Some people have jobs where their car is away from the garage all day and if it's below zero, remotely starting your car means it's ready to go when you are. It takes more than a minute for a car to warm up in this weather after sitting for a day of work.

My truck sits in the driveway at home.  I remote start it before brushing my teeth in the morning every day before work.  By the time I get in, it’s NOT toasty warm inside but the diesel engine has had time to get warmed up.

This is my first vehicle with remote start and I like it - a lot.

12 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

What if you are away from the house for the day? Some people have jobs where their car is away from the garage all day and if it's below zero, remotely starting your car means it's ready to go when you are. It takes more than a minute for a car to warm up in this weather after sitting for a day of work.

My car sat all day in a parking lot, and outside overnight for many years.    Manufacturers don't even recommend idling cars until they are all the way warm, just for a short time before driving off.    But it is your car.   You don't need to justify your actions to me.  

And BTW the 1970s and early 1980s were much colder winters than we have been having recently.    No that is not a commentary on "global climate change".

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

My car sat all day in a parking lot, and outside overnight for many years.    Manufacturers don't even recommend idling cars until they are all the way warm, just for a short time before driving off.    But it is your car.   You don't need to justify your actions to me.  

And BTW the 1970s and early 1980s were much colder winters than we have been having recently.    No that is not a commentary on "global climate change".

And people used to strap their horse to the hitching post when they came to town. 

Times change and this is something more people are doing with their cars whether you see a need or not. 

On 12/31/2017 at 1:02 PM, Jeremy airjer W said:

uninstall it before it leaves you stranded.

Can you elaborate?  Do you think there is an issue with the pass lock system bypass relay?  Not sure why it would leave him stranded unless the security system would be causing the issue of not starting.  If there is a known issue please let me know because i definitely don't want him stuck out in the middle of no where.

On 1/1/2018 at 11:46 AM, PurpleFloyd said:

And people used to strap their horse to the hitching post when they came to town. 

Times change and this is something more people are doing with their cars whether you see a need or not. 

True dat.  I still think it is silly.   But whatever floats your boat.

On 12/28/2017 at 10:09 AM, Blackhawkxp said:

My son has a 2004 Buick regal that had an aftermarket remote start installed when we bought it.  The car starts fine with the remote start but after a few minutes of running the car shuts off and then automatically restarts the engine.  I have a little knowledge of how the remote start systems typically work but i am not an expert.  I assume it is loosing a tach signal but i was hoping someone would maybe have a little more knowledge on the subject.  I am not sure of the brand but the below is a picture of the key fob.

Go to an aftermarket installer.  Show them the fob. Tell them the problem. They should answer your problem. (it worked for me) It would be better than reading most of the posts from the yahoos on this site.

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, Blackhawkxp said:

Can you elaborate?  Do you think there is an issue with the pass lock system bypass relay?  Not sure why it would leave him stranded unless the security system would be causing the issue of not starting.  If there is a known issue please let me know because i definitely don't want him stuck out in the middle of no where.

The aftermarket systems and more importantly the installations frequently cause problems. To install one to OE quality takes half to a full day which doesn't happen for $99.95.  I only uninstall them when the car won't start at all. Last one was easy, just pull the fuses at the remote start so the battery didn't die within 3-4 days from parasitic draw.  Usually it's remove the tumbleweed in the dash..

2016 Taurus SHO. Heated and cooled seats, heated steering wheel. 

Remote start and everything is warm. It's a better way to start the morning for me.

In the summer my black leather seats are not the temp of the sun. 

It's all about convenience.

We sure did get off topic here eh?

On 1/2/2018 at 12:32 PM, Blackhawkxp said:

You would be amazed at how many of these I uninstall to get customers back on the road. You would also be amazed at the number of calls I get where the aftermarket alarm/remote starts have left people stranded.