• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

No Pup for Penny

Bobby Bass

My daughter is looking for a pup and I to have been casually looking for a companion for Duncan who will be seven here in just a few months. What I have found is that there are no such thing as a cheap pet any more. Dogs can be purchased at the dog shelter for 280.00 these are of course dogs that are spaded or neutered and are an unknown mix or breed, just a best guess. Nothing wrong with the dogs as my daughter did have a rescued dog from the pound and he was an excellent pet.

The city here has done such a fine job of making it hard for someone to  raise a litter of pups with all the fees they have demand that pups are just not being had. All the dogs that I have found their owners are asking more then 500.00 and upwards of a thousand for papered puppies. My question is how is young family suppose to be able to get a pet for their family any more? In my neighborhood alone we used to have a dog at every house now we are hard pressed to come up with a half a dozen houses that have dogs and most of them are senior dogs who are in the twilight of their lives. Is this a problem or just me?

I wish that I would have known that you were looking a few months back! I had a friend who had a litter of Black Lab/Golden Retriever pups that they were trying to get rid of. It took a few months, but they were able to find homes for all of them. I think that they were asking $150 or $200 to cover the vet costs for shots, dew claws, etc. The best bet is to use the forums to try to find a "friend of a friend" deal. Any preference on size, breed, color, etc? Are you looking mostly for hunting dogs? Is purebred a requirement? If you are willing to drive a few hours for one.... try checking out the craig listings outside of the twin cities (assuming that is where you are located). Good luck!

Check bulletin boards are local business. Our grocery store has one that always has dogs posted on it. 

If you are looking for a purebred you aren't going to find much for less than $500 these days but check with lab breeders in your area to see what they have. Mixed breeds can sometimes be found for around $100, especially if it's not a pup and doesn't have some "designer breed" label (like golden doodle). 

Check online at the various classified ad sites. Cheaper dogs can be found if you are patient. 

Yes I have been looking all places you are talking about I am not in the mpls arera but much farther north. I  am looking more for  a companion for my cholate Duncan as he will be turning 7 here soon. I do have a line on amother chocolate in a litter that is a couple of weeks old. The point of my post was not about me getting a pup but the young families who can not afford these 1000.00 dogs. Been a long time since I have seen someone with a 100.00 pup for sale.