• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Electronic lock for fish house

seymore

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with installing an electronic keypad deadbolt on their fish house. My brother has an electronic one for his unheated pole shed and it has worked just fine the last two years without needing the batteries replaced. I saw them on sale at Menards for $49.99 last night and am thinking of getting one. I think it would be great to have it on, but I do worry how long the batteries would last or if blowing snow, constant heating and cooling, and potential freezing rain would cause more issues or the same issues as a standard dead bolt.

Thanks!

That sounds like a good idea.  I just switched out my knob and bolt lock because my key wouldn't fit all the way in either one anymore.  I don't know if road crud got in the key hole while I was driving or what.  Has anyone else had this problem?

It happened to me the first time while on the ice.  Luckily I still had the ramp door at the time and was able to get back in that way, but it would be a huge problem if I was out on the lake at night and couldn't get back in my house.

I don't see the one on sale for $50, but here's a couple examples that I think would work well

https://www.menards.com/main/doors-windows-millwork/door-window-cabinet-hardware/door-locks/entry-door-locks/schlage-reg-camelot-electronic-keyless-entry-deadbolt/p-1444453616196.htm

https://www.menards.com/main/doors-windows-millwork/door-window-cabinet-hardware/door-locks/entry-door-locks/kwikset-reg-907-keyless-powerbolt-ii-electronic-deadbolt-with-smartkey-reg/90711psmtcp/p-1444437311387.htm

My preferred method for frozen locks is a hair dryer.  The torch works to get them thawed and get you in the house, but they will freeze right up again since the water is still there.  The hair dryer will actually help dry the water, and you have a little bit better odds of not needing it the next time.  You can use the torch to try to evaporate the water, but odds are really good that you'll melt some foam in your door (don't ask how I know).  

47 minutes ago, Lip_Ripper Guy said:

My preferred method for frozen locks is a hair dryer.  The torch works to get them thawed and get you in the house, but they will freeze right up again since the water is still there.  The hair dryer will actually help dry the water, and you have a little bit better odds of not needing it the next time.  You can use the torch to try to evaporate the water, but odds are really good that you'll melt some foam in your door (don't ask how I know).  

We have a few cans of this in each vehicle and have one under the LP Tank covers as well.. Leech is right though - spray foam provides a nice seal, but tends to raise hell on locks in extremely cold weather. It seems like the RV-style doors are more unacceptable to freezing up. As far as keep the road grime out... I have heard of guys putting tape, grease, vaseline, etc. over the locks. Not saying any of these are good solutions, or solutions that I have even tried - just what I have heard of others using.

Z_0O3vfo5oz.JPG

The ones on sale for $49.99 are not listed as they are a clearance item. They do have a key as well. They are hiding directly across from the display of deadbolt locks in both stores that I visited. However, selection varied slightly at each store. So I picked one up as well as a "Hall and Closet" handle for the door. No sense risking that lock being set by accident when I walk out the door to get a tip up! ::D

I have one for my service door on the garage. It works great. Never had issues of it freezing. Batteries last quit a while. Mine does not have a key backup but a spare battery FOB thingy that connects to the knob should your batteries die.