• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Instant pot

I have one also, and love it. I have the 6 qt. There is so many recipes online for the instant pot and You Tube videos. It makes great easy peel hard boiled eggs in 5 min. My refried beans that would take 9 hrs in the slow cooker take 45 min. It cooks rice perfectly in minutes. This thing replaced my steamer, rice cooker, and crockpot. This is what I made for the Vikings game last Sunday, it was delicious.

478FE903-7024-457C-AB87-CB7F067C6498.jpeg

did a nice fat fryer chicken last night and it took about 45mins. Followed a recipe with some chicken broth. Seasoned skin with a rub, stuffed an onion and some lemon in the middle of the bird and let it cook. Was pretty close to a rotisserie chicken you get at the stores. Nice and juicy and very tender. Wife and I ate half of the bird last night and used the other half for leftover lunch today.

Next time I am going to try the sautee method first and see if I can get the skin a little crispier.

Got a couple pheasants pulled from the freezer, gonna try a pheasant fajita instapot recipe I found online yesterday.

2 hours ago, rl_sd said:

Ok... I'll bite. After the success of the AirFryer, I guess I need one of these too.

How big and which one? Amazon has everything form  4qt to 10qt..... "3-in-1" to "9-in-1"

This is what we have:

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Pot-Multi-Use-Programmable-Packaging/dp/B00FLYWNYQ

A lot of people talk about these in the RV forums, especially the full timers. Seems interesting but I don't know what I would use it for.

Is it safe to assume that I would use it for anything I would use a crock-pot for only it will cook much faster?

41 minutes ago, Cooperman said:

That is the same one I have, it’s only the two of us, so the 6 qt is perfect. If you have a large family you might want the 8 qt

Lol. Yeah, I got the 10 qt model but this Yogi eats a lot of pikanik baskets.

29 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

A lot of people talk about these in the RV forums, especially the full timers. Seems interesting but I don't know what I would use it for.

Is it safe to assume that I would use it for anything I would use a crock-pot for only it will cook much faster?

Pretty much but it does more. There are a lot of different functions on it. We had a macaroni hotdish tonight and it was pretty good. Just dumped in all the ingredients including the uncooked macaroni and it only took 8 minutes.

No bags, no water or thermometer. 

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

No bags, no water or thermometer. 

funny right there.jpg

I don't doubt that it works well but I can't wrap my head around cooking some stuff faster. Most of the things I cook, I try to cook slower like in a crock pot or a smoker. Burgers and steaks are about the only things I like cooked fast.

How long do you cook a beef roast in one of these contraptions?

7 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

funny right there.jpg

I don't doubt that it works well but I can't wrap my head around cooking some stuff faster. Most of the things I cook, I try to cook slower like in a crock pot or a smoker. Burgers and steaks are about the only things I like cooked fast.

How long do you cook a beef roast in one of these contraptions?

It's darn fast but to be totally honest I don't really like the way roasts cook in it.  I have done it twice so far and the first time I did the recommended 39 minutes and it wasn't the way I like roasts which is medium rare or less.

I cooked the second one for 15 minutes and that was better but it's like the pressure pushes the fat and flavor out of it to me. I think if your goal is shredded beef or pulled pork you could do it in a fraction of time. Maybe an hour or even less and it would be fantastic but for just a roast it seems to dry it out from what I have seen but maybe there is a setting I can do to make it better. It's clearly not the right appliance for everything but it does some things really well. 

My next thing is to try wings. Supposedly 8 minutes to cook from frozen. 

And chicken dumpling soup,chili, pulled pork and some other things.

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

It's darn fast but to be totally honest I don't really like the way roasts cook in it.  I have done it twice so far and the first time I did the recommended 39 minutes and it wasn't the way I like roasts which is medium rare or less.

I cooked the second one for 15 minutes and that was better but it's like the pressure pushes the fat and flavor out of it to me. I think if your goal is shredded beef or pulled pork you could do it in a fraction of time. Maybe an hour or even less and it would be fantastic but for just a roast it seems to dry it out from what I have seen but maybe there is a setting I can do to make it better. It's clearly not the right appliance for everything but it does some things really well. 

Are you saying Souse Vide is a much better way to cook a roast? :P

I got one for Christmas but have not used it yet, even got a book with a bunch of recipes in it.

I did have pulled pork from when my sister made it in hers. I do say it was mighty good. Enough to make me want to do that instead of my smoker so I don't have to freeze my A off when its cold out  

7 hours ago, ZachD said:

Enough to make me want to do that instead of my smoker so I don't have to freeze my A off when its cold out  

That's my thoughts too... During the summer I usually try something new on the pellet grill once a week on Mondays since its my day off.... I figured this could be my Monday menu maker till spring.

10 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Are you saying Souse Vide is a much better way to cook a roast? :P

Not necessarily. At least I can brown the outside in the pot without any other appliance needed so it still beats bathtub cooking but it's not as good as an oven or smoker yet for cooking things to medium rare

Tried some frozen shrimp for lunch today here is the recipe I followed:

• 1/2 C apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 C water
  • creole seasoning to taste (I used Old Bay)

Instructions

1. Throw everything into InstantPot.
  2. Close the lid and set the top valve to "seal."
  3. Program for Manual High for 1 minute.
  4. QR (quick release when timer goes off)

Took about 10mins from start to finish for everything to get up to pressure and then cook for 1 minute. Wasnt great may need to tinker with ingredients.  I wasnt sure how much seasoning to use and I thought it could have used a little more citrus flavor so may need to squeeze some lemon on them when they come out. Just another recipe to tinker with I guess. Regardless it was quick easy and painless so that's a plus.

I finally used it I was just testing it out getting the feel of things so didn't follow a recipe just cut up some Yukon gold potatoes zucchini onion and threw in a bunch of chicken breast. 1 can of cream of chicken and 2 cups of beer.

Actual cook time after pressurized 12 mins.

Some of the most tender chicken I have ever had.

Next day

I made some jasmine rice and cubed some chicken breast and coated with sesame chicken sauce. Didn't think the sauce would steam good on its own so I put half cup of water as well. Then drained liquid when itt was done cooking and tossed them in more sauce before eating.

All in all I like it so far pretty easy stuff.