• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Humminbird Transducer support line. Is it really needed?

jmg

Hi!  I like my Humminbird 35 for the little ice fishing I do, except for that extra cord that supposedly supports the transducer.  What a pain to keep taut and just seems to be another thing for the jigs or fish to wrap around.  Is it really needed? Are the H bird transducer cables that weak? I see all these shows with other brands going in and out of the water, fish after fish, with no seemingly problems.

Just wondering!  A very Merry Christmas to all!

I believe they had to do that because vexilar had a patent on the float? I had a lowrance unit with a similar setup and just got rid of the extra cord and went on with life.

You don't need the cord and it usually keeps the ducer from shooting straight down anyway.

PurpleFloyd is right, I had heard that the only reason the Support Cable was introduced was to skirt by a Patent. I have had my HB Ice 45 for 5 years now I believe and haven't had the Support cable on for 1 day. IMO it's too cumbersome and I had the same thought - it's another thing for the line, fish, jig, etc. to wrap around and cause problems.

20 minutes ago, MN BassFisher said:

PurpleFloyd is right, I had heard that the only reason the Support Cable was introduced was to skirt by a Patent. I have had my HB Ice 45 for 5 years now I believe and haven't had the Support cable on for 1 day. IMO it's too cumbersome and I had the same thought - it's another thing for the line, fish, jig, etc. to wrap around and cause problems.

Plus +1 took mine off my 55 as soon as I unpacked it. I put it back on when I sold it just so-everything was there! ;)