• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Upper Michigan snowmobiling suggestions?

leech~~

I have been to the Upper UP of Michigan but never for a Sled ride in the winter.  The way the winters have been in Minnesota it would be interesting to try a weekend ride up there.

Anyone that has ridden up there do you have any suggestions on lodging places and nice trails to ride?  Want to see the scenery a bit not drive 70 mph from bar to bar. Done that enough in Minnesota back in the day and time to enjoy a ride now. Not show how big my penis is driving 80 after a bunch of drinks! :grin:

Any "helpful" suggestions would be appreciated.  :)

smurfy please keep it on subject!!

Keweenaw_Snow_Thermometer.jpg

Edited by leech~~

44 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Want to see the scenery a bit not drive 70 mph from bar to bar. Done that enough in Minnesota back in the day and time to enjoy a ride now. Not show how big my penis is driving 80 after a bunch of drinks! :grin:

This is my riding style these days also. Do you have a wheeler too or only snowmobiles?

31 minutes ago, knoppers said:

I work with someone that went up last weekend, he said awsom riding, plenty of snow.

May be you can ask them where they stayed and trails they may have went on? I'm once the snow gets really good the motels fill up fast for the winter.

Edited by leech~~

12 minutes ago, knoppers said:

all I know they are heading back up Tuesday. I know he said anything past Hayward had plenty of snow. they were past iron river, more up the shore.

I would guess you will need a Michigan trail tag to ride. I wonder what they would cost? 

How come you didn't go with them with that new fast burner you just picked up? :(

Edited by leech~~

1 hour ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Ironwood/Hurley.

Just shoot over to hwy 2 and head straight across Wisconsin till you get there.

Tons of trails, bars are closer together and not too far of a drive.

Of course if you are more adventurous and want to cross a time zone Marquette is also awesome.

Doesn't sound to good up there yet?

Gogebic Area Grooming
Here are some pictures of the trail 102. Most of the trail is nice and compacted.The wet spots still have lots of water running through them. We are working on the wet spots to freeze them in. However mother nature needs to give us cold weather and snow. Our trail boss suggest to stay off trail 102 until after Christmas, to make for better trail conditions. The water needs to freeze and tighten up in order to make the wet areas passable. By not driving over the thinner ice on the wet spots will make for a quicker and better trail. Again please use caution when driving, as these wet areas can come up qui

16 minutes ago, LoonASea said:

I would consider the Bayfield co in Wi,,,,, Stay in Iron River and you can go south to Cable ,,, Go north to Valhalla ,,, East to Ashland  ,,, Trail pass isnt cheap but good trails 

I would say! :eek:

Nonresident Snowmobile Trail Pass

Allows the snowmobile to be operated in or on any public area open to snowmobile operation. Issued for all snowmobiles not registered in Wisconsin. In addition the snowmobile must be currently registered in another state or province. Pass must be affixed to the front of the snowmobile windshield.

Price: $50.00

Looks like Michigan's trail pass is $48.

Great I'm kind of screwed anyway this year as the new used sled I just bought is registered until 2018 but doesn't have the Minnesota trail sticker so now I will have to buy a one year trail tag for 2018 for $51 bucks anyway! If I'm reading it right?  :(

Then next year I'll have to get the new 3 year one for $113! :(

Snowmobile registration procedures & fees

Registration procedures

The State of Minnesota requires only a current registration on snowmobiles. At this time, you do not need a certificate of title for your snowmobile.

Two options for snowmobile registration

• A snowmobile may now be registered for trail use or non-trail use.
  • The trail use registration fee is $113.50 for 3 years and includes unlimited use of Minnesota's 22,000 miles of state and grant-in-aid trails.
  • The non-trail use registration fee is $53.50 for 3 years and is not transferable. A snowmobile that is registered for non-trail use may NOT be operated on a state or grant-in-aid trail including a grant-in-aid trail in a road right-of-way.
  • A non-trail use registration requires a new registration number to be affixed to the snowmobile.
  • A state trail sticker is not valid for use on a non-trail use registered snowmobile.
  • If an individual wants to use a non-trail use registered snowmobile on a state or grant-in-aid trail, the snowmobile will need to be re-registered for trail use and a new registration number will be assigned.
  • A non-trail use registration decal will be yellow in color.

Edited by leech~~

I just renewed my sled good till 2020 ,,,, Back in 2015 your registration and trail permit were one sticker so Leech you should be good ,,, What you posted must be a new change to registration ,,, Does your current registration say non-trail use on the sticker???

5 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Great I'm kind of screwed anyway this year as the new used sled I just bought is registered until 2018 but doesn't have the Minnesota trail sticker so now I will have to buy a one year trail tag for 2018 for $51 bucks anyway! If I'm reading it right?  :(

Then next year I'll have to get the new 3 year one for $113! :(

Snowmobile registration procedures & fees

Registration procedures

The State of Minnesota requires only a current registration on snowmobiles. At this time, you do not need a certificate of title for your snowmobile.

Two options for snowmobile registration

• A snowmobile may now be registered for trail use or non-trail use.
  • The trail use registration fee is $113.50 for 3 years and includes unlimited use of Minnesota's 22,000 miles of state and grant-in-aid trails.
  • The non-trail use registration fee is $53.50 for 3 years and is not transferable. A snowmobile that is registered for non-trail use may NOT be operated on a state or grant-in-aid trail including a grant-in-aid trail in a road right-of-way.
  • A non-trail use registration requires a new registration number to be affixed to the snowmobile.
  • A state trail sticker is not valid for use on a non-trail use registered snowmobile.
  • If an individual wants to use a non-trail use registered snowmobile on a state or grant-in-aid trail, the snowmobile will need to be re-registered for trail use and a new registration number will be assigned.
  • A non-trail use registration decal will be yellow in color.

You wanna play,you gotta pay

17 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I would guess you will need a Michigan trail tag to ride. I wonder what they would cost? 

How come you didn't go with them with that new fast burner you just picked up? :(

they are doing a family outing, I would like to get out riding soon, I have next week off work, so might have to do a day trip up north if I can brave the cold.

9 hours ago, LoonASea said:

I would consider the Bayfield co in Wi,,,,, Stay in Iron River and you can go south to Cable ,,, Go north to Valhalla ,,, East to Ashland  ,,, Trail pass isnt cheap but good trails 

My in-laws own a house right by the Ino bar and my wife's uncle rund the plywood palace in Moquah which is right on the trail.

There are tons of great trails in that area for sure.

10 hours ago, LoonASea said:

I just renewed my sled good till 2020 ,,,, Back in 2015 your registration and trail permit were one sticker so Leech you should be good ,,, What you posted must be a new change to registration ,,, Does your current registration say non-trail use on the sticker???

I was rethinking it and you are right I believe.  I think I'm ok for now. 

If I get stopped I'll just throw up my hands and shrug my shoulders and keep saying. Me don't know, me don't know.  :confused:;)

I haven't taken a look at the NSST yet ,,, Heard they started to groom the trail north of Finland ,,, Any wet spots that didn't freeze will freeze the next few days ,,, We need snow!!!!! ,,,Only have about 6 inches in the yard here and that is not enough to cover the rocks let alone make for a good base 

Hi Leech

Been many years since I sledded in the UP. It was great sledding back then and get imagine it not still being. Can I suggest the Lake Gogebic area. Used to stay at the Lake Gogebic Lodge. You can sled from there to the Hurly/ Ironwood area and N. WI or the Houghton Hancock area or even to Copper Harbor. The Trip to Copper Harbor is about a 70 mile trip if I remember correctly. It is beautiful up at the  tip and looking out at lake Superior. We rode it from Lake Gogebic and stayed over night in Copper Harbor the then back the next day. It did cost us lodging in 2 places for one night but well worth it. Or you could schedule it for the last day of your trip or something like that. Back then you did need a MI sticker to ride up there. I don't know anything wlse about that though. It is a great area to ride.