• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Teddy's Back!!

leech~~

Did you happen to analyze his footwork and mechanics on that first pass?

As far as him not getting reps in a while- he is a backup. The job of a backup is to be prepared to be called into action on a moment's notice and step in ready to go.

I think it's safe to say he wasn't ready to go and in the series he ran the coaches told us everything when they only gave him two passes and had him hand off the rest of the time. If he isn't prepared and ready to play then they should promote Sloter.

4 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Did you happen to analyze his footwork and mechanics on that first pass?

As far as him not getting reps in a while- he is a backup. The job of a backup is to be prepared to be called into action on a moment's notice and step in ready to go.

I think it's safe to say he wasn't ready to go and in the series he ran the coaches told us everything when they only gave him two passes and had him hand off the rest of the time. If he isn't prepared and ready to play then they should promote Sloter.

I'm not giving Teddy a pass on anything and his footwork was terrible on his first pass but a few of your other points are a stretch.  You think the lack of passing Teddy did was due to him being unprepared?  Don't you think the 34 point lead had anything to do with it? Not many team airing it out with a 34 point lead late in the 4th quarter.

Sure the job of the backup is to be prepared to go in at a moments notice.  You're also expected to do that while getting very few practice reps since the bulk go to the starter.  Very hard to be prepared and ready to go when you haven't stepped foot on a practice field for a year and a half and then you're only given a handful of reps each week to get your mechanics and timing down.  He's a professional and I'm not going to give him a total pass but I think its important to understand that he's in a tough position.  Hard to ask a man to not practice for almost 2 full seasons and then come in and look perfect out of the gate.

You're correct.  However, most backups at least get preseason and training camp reps plus the occasional rep in practice during the season.  Teddy is trying to do it without about 5% of the reps as a normal backup would have gotten from training camp up through now.

I'm really not a Teddy apologist, I've always thought people were a little too high on him given what he's actually shown and I've never understood that. He's been mediocre at best throughout his career.  Sure he might have some upside and he was improving but up until now he's shown nothing more than average ability.  However, I don't think its fair to judge him too harshly on 2 meaningless drop backs given the circumstances.

9 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

Not many team airing it out with a 34 point lead late in the 4th quarter.

Not many teams airing it out with Teddy Bridgewater as their QB either.....

9 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

Sure the job of the backup is to be prepared to go in at a moments notice.  You're also expected to do that while getting very few practice reps since the bulk go to the starter.  Very hard to be prepared and ready to go when you haven't stepped foot on a practice field for a year and a half and then you're only given a handful of reps each week to get your mechanics and timing down.  He's a professional and I'm not going to give him a total pass but I think its important to understand that he's in a tough position.  Hard to ask a man to not practice for almost 2 full seasons and then come in and look perfect out of the gate.

Nice try but Teddy was cleared to practice over 2 months ago. Football is his full time job and he gets paid plenty to do it so I'm fairly certain most players could get ready to throw 2 passes in 2 months. 

8 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

You're correct.  However, most backups at least get preseason and training camp reps plus the occasional rep in practice during the season.  Teddy is trying to do it without about 5% of the reps as a normal backup would have gotten from training camp up through now.

I'm really not a Teddy apologist,

Could have fooled me.....;)

I've always thought people were a little too high on him given what he's actually shown and I've never understood that. He's been mediocre at best throughout his career.  Sure he might have some upside and he was improving but up until now he's shown nothing more than average ability. 

Brilliant!

However, I don't think its fair to judge him too harshly on 2 meaningless drop backs given the circumstances.

No, but I can judge him on almost 4 years of time in the NFL plus 2 meaningless drop backs, can't I?

Big Dave, criticism of his first 4 years is fair and I mostly agree with you in that he hasn't been anything special thus far and certainly hasn't done enough to earn all of this hope and faith people have for his future.  However, no matter what opinion you have of him from the first 4 years and what you project him to be in the future its tough to put much stock into 2 meaningless pass attempts at the end of a blow out win given the circumstances. Had he gotten lucky and made a nice pass to hit a receiver that broke a tackle and took it 70 yards for a touchdown I'm sure you'd be eager to point out that we can't judge him off of one pass.  If that is true than the inverse should also be true.

You may think I'm a Teddy apologist or a fan of Teddy when in reality I'm just a fan of fair and critical analysis.

I'm sure Teddy is going to continue on with his career as a mediocre QB and the blind hope many have will start to fade when they realize he is what he is. The true Teddy apologists will blame the injury and say without that he'd have been a hall of famer when in reality he's always been an average at best QB.

4 hours ago, nofishfisherman said:

Big Dave, criticism of his first 4 years is fair and I mostly agree with you in that he hasn't been anything special thus far and certainly hasn't done enough to earn all of this hope and faith people have for his future.  However, no matter what opinion you have of him from the first 4 years and what you project him to be in the future its tough to put much stock into 2 meaningless pass attempts at the end of a blow out win given the circumstances. Had he gotten lucky and made a nice pass to hit a receiver that broke a tackle and took it 70 yards for a touchdown I'm sure you'd be eager to point out that we can't judge him off of one pass.  If that is true than the inverse should also be true.

I'm not sure where you are getting your opinion that I am judging Teddy on 2 pass attempts when I clearly stated above that I was just adding those 2 pass attempts on to what I have witnessed for 4 years. I am not judging him on those 2 plays but I am not willing to erase them and act like they never happened either. Those 2 attempts fit in nicely with what I have seen from him his entire NFL career.

I think you and I are closer in agreement than you may think.

You may think I'm a Teddy apologist or a fan of Teddy when in reality I'm just a fan of fair and critical analysis.

I get that but I don't think there has been any unfair analysis given what we know about Teddy from the past.

I'm sure Teddy is going to continue on with his career as a mediocre QB and the blind hope many have will start to fade when they realize he is what he is. The true Teddy apologists will blame the injury and say without that he'd have been a hall of famer when in reality he's always been an average at best QB.

I completely agree.