• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's the next gun you're going to buy?

20 minutes ago, rl_sd said:

Yup.... during fall harvest and tillage I see a lot of varmits. Would be nice to have a few 410 rounds for some coons and a 45 colt for the yotes 

I think the problem will be that you would have to be pretty darn close to actually hit one with enough bbs to do any damage.

I always hear that the effective range with a.410 shot shell in such a short barrel is like under 7 yards. I would think that a good .22 rifle kept handy or even a 9mm hand gun would be a better choice for what you want to do with it.

Edited by Big Dave2

30 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

I think the problem will be that you would have to be pretty darn close to actually hit one with enough bbs to do any damage.

I always hear that the effective range with a.410 shot shell in such a short barrel is like under 7 yards. I would think that a good .22 rifle kept handy or even a 9mm hand gun would be a better choice for what you want to do with it.

Effective range with the .410 Taurus would be approx 10 yds for a "medium spread" pattern.......out to 15 yds for an effective kill, I think. (Birdshot)  Problem is, the Taurus shoots  only  2 3/4" shells, so for buckshot,  only 3" shells, and  3" .410 are filled with (3) 000 buckshot....or shoot #5 or #6 birdshot, but you'll get poor penetration. But whatever works for ya. Don't want to get into a ballistics course here; just what kinda gun do YOU want to own....

I want a Thompson submachine gun with the Cutt's compensater and round drum!!!  RAT-A-TAT-TAT-TAT-TAT!!

And phooey on the muzzle lift!!!   I wouldn't holler about an M1 Garand, either.....:cool:

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

Effective range with the .410 Taurus would be approx 10 yds for a "medium spread" pattern.......out to 15 yds for an effective kill, I think. (Birdshot)  Problem is, the Taurus shoots  only  2 3/4" shells, so for buckshot,  only 3" shells, and  3" .410 are filled with (3) 000 buckshot....or shoot #5 or #6 birdshot, but you'll get poor penetration. But whatever works for ya. Don't want to get into a ballistics course here; just what kinda gun do YOU want to own....

Sounds about right. The other factor is they make the Judge in a few different barrel lengths which could also affect the range with the shorter barrel ones that people are more apt to purchase for carrying. I would bet that you would only have a chance at a 15 yard effective kill shot with the longest barrel Judge.

The other issue as I see it is how often do you see a coyote or raccoon at 10-15 yds and what is the chance he will still be at 10-15 yds. by the time you get the gun out, get ready and fire?

Don't get me wrong, I think they are cool guns and one is definitely on my list someday as well but I just don't want to see rl_sd spend a good amount of money on something that may not be suited for what he wants to do with it and be disappointed.  

2 hours ago, Big Dave2 said:

Sounds about right. The other factor is they make the Judge in a few different barrel lengths which could also affect the range with the shorter barrel ones that people are more apt to purchase for carrying. I would bet that you would only have a chance at a 15 yard effective kill shot with the longest barrel Judge.

The other issue as I see it is how often do you see a coyote or raccoon at 10-15 yds and what is the chance he will still be at 10-15 yds. by the time you get the gun out, get ready and fire?

Don't get me wrong, I think they are cool guns and one is definitely on my list someday as well but I just don't want to see rl_sd spend a good amount of money on something that may not be suited for what he wants to do with it and be disappointed.  

The farmers I know who want to control predators and varmints during the harvest just have a shotgun in the cab. The animals don't have really any fear of the farm machinery so its  pretty easy to stop,get out and take care of business.

8 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

The farmers I know who want to control predators and varmints during the harvest just have a shotgun in the cab. The animals don't have really any fear of the farm machinery so its  pretty easy to stop,get out and take care of business.

You are exactly right. For whatever reason a coon will move out just far enough out of the way of the tractor.... and the next pas do the same... and again, and again. 10 yds is not a problem. 

I have other pistols that I could carry as well. Just seems like a hand held scatter gun with the option to throw 45 cal out of the same cylinder intrigues me. Definitely a novelty item none the less...

the other fire arm on the bucket list would be the Ruger Charger, but that comes from my love for the 10/22

31 minutes ago, leech~~ said:

Yea, well down in Belle Plaine you got all those gun toting Christians to protect your ars! :lol:

Meh, I can protect myself just fine with or without a $1000 rifle. My $100 Hi-Point .45 will make you just as dead as that AR.

It's more than likely one of those crazy arse Christians that I need to protect myself from.

It's more than likely one of those crazy arse Christians that I need to protect myself from.

I know, you hear about them everyday in the News burning and terrorizing the good atheist folks of Belle Plaine MN. :lol:

ContentThriftyDalmatian-max-1mb.gif

9 hours ago, leech~~ said:

I know, you hear about them everyday in the News burning and terrorizing the good atheist folks of Belle Plaine MN. :lol:

We've went over this before but over 85% of this country's population is Christian. Guess who is causing over 85% of the crime?

And actually, there have been terroristic threats against the couple of outed atheists here in Belle Plaine.......;)

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

We've went over this before but over 85% of this country's population is Christian. Guess who is causing over 85% of the crime?

Yes we have and still, It only makes sense that if 85% of this country's population identifies as Christian. 85% of the criminals when ask with a check off box on their in-processing form, would identify with what they were raised with as well. Big shock!

By the way that question is on the in-processing forms so the few atheist's and other beliefs can be accommodated during their stay as well. ;)

It doesn't mean that the little Norwegian or German Lutheran ladies down in Belle Plaine are going to gun down Big Dave with their AR's after the church Pot Luck as he walks down the street! Fear-Not Dave.  :lol: 

Edited by leech~~

Pagans, most likely. ;)

You’re a good debater but even you have to admit your 85% rule would only apply if 85% of the entire population where criminals.

You can have 85% of crime caused by 15% of the population.

So anyway. The gun that I always wanted to get just for the fun factor is the old Ruger 44 mag carbine. Great for short range still Deer hunting through the woods.

The farmer that we use to hunt with before he passed away had one. One day his son was using it and I heard him shoot. When we got back to the truck I said did you shoot?  He said yes I shot all 5 rounds at a running Doe. The darn little gun shoots so fast I only heard 1 or 2 of his shots!  :lol:

wm_516562.JPG

Brings back memories and reminds me of something I had totally forgotten!!   Decades ago was at a wilderness cabin with a couple guys and on of them had this carbine. I shot it a few times (open sights) and took it out for a walk next morning. Shot two deer at around 50 yards and they both dropped dead.  Am surprised the item you have in photo has a recoil pad since I do not recall any recoil at all. Always thought it was a handy little piece but never used it again and had no inclination to buy one. Do have a 10-22 of course
(doesn't every home have one:) and other items. Many don't know Ruger makes their BIG rifle in .22 caliber with a laminated stock. Had one with nice Zeiss glass and it was a tack driver.  Don't recall what I did with it.

Okay, back to standby.

19 minutes ago, Ufatz said:

Many don't know Ruger makes their BIG rifle in .22 caliber with a laminated stock. Had one with nice Zeiss glass and it was a tack driver.  Don't recall what I did with it.

Do you know what model that would be?

2 hours ago, Wanderer said:

You can have 85% of crime caused by 15% of the population.

I suppose it's possible but it's just not reality. The large majority of criminals identify as Christians and that's a fact.

I believe the one I had was just a model #77 but in .22 cal.  It was a very nice rifle but a little heavy to carry squirrel hunting. It was not cheap either. My guess is I traded it for something else that caught my fancy. You know how that goes.

Some even think Christianity is to blame for crime in America.......

EXCLUSIVE: 'Fundamentalist' Christianity is to blame for crime in America - because the Bible teaches violence and vengeance, claims provocative new book

Criminology professor uses new book to claim evangelicals are fueling crime and violence in the US

Christian Right think America is 'modern day Sodom and Gomorrah' and prefer vengeance to forgiveness, claims Elicka Peterson Sparks 

Singles out Rush Limbaugh for wielding disproportionate influence in American public life

Claims typical Christian fundamentalist uses religion to feel self-righteous and employs double standards in their thinking and judgment

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3460589/Christianity-making-America-criminal-Bible-teaches-vengeance-violence-claims-provocative-new-book.html#ixzz510szUcTb