• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

This was over by juinper  shores  I'm  not sure  you could go anywhere. I was over to brule , fox islands  and pork point. I found  9 to 11 inches of ice .   The biggest issue  is cracks  with big temperature swings it seems to open them up. I'm not encouraging anbody to head out onto the ice.  I may be headed back up to morson this weekend. 

20171124_153040.jpg

Hi all: I have a cabin further east in Ontario and thought I may as well use my CD fishing license on the Big Lake in the winter. We are going to stay out of Morson Pelican Landing and give it a go. Question they have been unable to answer - Does anyone have the name and phone number of the bait shop in Rainy River? Also is it permissible to bring frozen shiners across the border for back up? Sounds like no live bait around Morson and obviously can't bring it across. Help is appreciated and am fortunate this forum is active! gl7mm

We never ever ever ever use live bait and catch just as many or more fish as anyone else out of Morson.   Frozen shiners are our go to bait in fact my blood pressure goes up just thinking about what happens when we hook those up and send then down to Davey Jones locker.  If you are not getting bit you need to move.  Yes you can bring them across the border and they are readily available in Blackduck, Kelliher and Baudette on the way up.  Also salted fatheads are cheaper and at times can be just as effective.  Nothing wrong with live bait per se but it's triple the cost, triple the hassle to procure and triple the hassle to haul across the lake.  So 3x3x3=27.  That makes live bait 27 times more of a pain in the butt to use in the winter for what I consider to be a downgrade in catch rate. And frozen/salted minnows or plastics will catch every single available specie you can think of.  

Edited by Mad Mulcher

10 hours ago, Mad Mulcher said:

3x3x3=27.  That makes live bait 27 times more of a pain in the butt to use in the winter for what I consider to be a downgrade in catch rate. And frozen/salted minnows or plastics will catch every single available specie you can think of.  

Bwaahahaaa!! That Mad Mulcher is a funny critter!

Thanks a bunch Mad Muncher - I like a man with an opinion! Frozen Shiners & Salties it is. They have been making a bigger deal lately about even the quantity of Salties you can take across so wanted to be sure frozen were OK. I don't want to get the boot. I'll try to throw up a post on our trip. Hopefully warming up this week that -30 stuff didn't look very enticing. gl7mm