Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .

I just spent 8 days pheasant hunting in SD last week. Almost every walk in area, CREP area, some waterfowl production areas were cut. Why is that?

Where was this?  We made a trip to the Jim River Ranch in Redfield yesterday and had a great time. If I could have gotten to the area earlier we would have hit some public land but we ran short on time.

what areas were you hunting? you have to consider much of the north central parts of the state were in extreme drought and many are still short on moisture.

I have noticed this also though. It seems like on some of the public land they at least tried to mow half and leave half but even the half that wasn't mowed there just wasn't any cover to be found. I am not sure with CREP lands and other WIA areas how they are managed with emergency haying etc. I would be curious to see payouts the GFP pays on some of those properties.

It sure does get frustrating scouting areas and driving to them only to see a bunch of round bails sitting there and 2" tall grass. I don't know if they were managed with an early cutting with expectations that they would grow back and never did because it never rained again.

I will try to reach out to some contacts I have with the GFP and landowners that enrolled in CREP and see what they have to say because I am awfully curious myself as I am seeing way to many public areas that are bare ground.

15 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Where was this?  We made a trip to the Jim River Ranch in Redfield yesterday and had a great time. If I could have gotten to the area earlier we would have hit some public land but we ran short on time.

You should PM  me next time you come out I will show you how to hunt real pheasants. If you get your dog on too many of those pen raised birds it can cause some issues :)

I was probably just down the road from you would have been fun to walk a field or 2 with you. I was gonna try to meet up with another guy from HSO on Friday but  schedules didn't work out and I wasn't too excited to hunt in the gail force winds.

It is my understanding that land owners are getting money from the hunting licenses for CREP and WIA's. I don't understand why they should be able to collect the money for enrolling the land, destroy the cover and then profit from cutting.

I know its frustrating especially when you put in a ton a miles driving to these properties only to find them in poor shape for hunting.

Here is a pic of one example:

IMG_2084.JPG

Here is some more info explaining how the program works:

https://www.fsa.usda.gov/Internet/FSA_File/crepsdfactsheet.pdf

If you note this section:

Haying and Grazing Haying and grazing are not permitted during the CRP contract period except for emergency or managed haying and grazing purposes, if authorized.

It just seems a lot of that emergency stuff was more than excessive. I get the drought played a role and livestock need feed. But if you drive by many of those properties today there are still plenty of round bales sitting all over the place and every last bit of grass has been mowed down to the ground.

As a nonresident, we only hunt public lands and it gets quite expensive to spend a week out there. Last year only some of those spots were mowed. This year, most of the spots were mowed. We spent more time driving and looking for spots to hunt than actually hunting. I had well over 700 miles driving around so I know what I saw. Looks like my days in SD may be coming to an end. My money and enjoyment can be better served elsewhere.

36 minutes ago, simey1 said:

I had well over 700 miles driving around so I know what I saw. Looks like my days in SD may be coming to an end. My money and enjoyment can be better served elsewhere.

I don't dispute anything your saying, I totally agree. I have put on 300 to 500 miles in a day before and I live here, its just par for the course when your trying to find places to hunt. But for me that is also part of the fun. I have so many notes in my hunting atlas that I transfer over every year and I know just about every piece of walk in area in most of the state.

I typically only hunt public land also. And I enjoy hunting public land because I appreciate the challenge that it brings and its super rewarding. Any bird bagged on public land is a true trophy.

I do some private land hunting but I am not a fan of party hunting or large groups. It works but its not for me.

I wouldn't stop coming to SD, and chalk this year up to the drought. But there are still plenty of birds to be found. And with this cold weather and snow the hunting is just going to get better. Good luck.

Do you do all 10 days at once or split up into 2 5 days? You should come back for a late season hunt you might be surprise how much difference it makes.

We used to split it up, but my son can only get away for 1 trip a year so we do the ten days so we can get both weekends in. We only do

public. We take some pride in working hard for our birds. I don't care for groups or the "canned" approach. Hunting is supposed to be about hunting truly wild birds. Sorry that I can't agree that driving all around and finding cover all cut is part of the fun. We do travel a lot finding new spots, but it was almost impossible this year. That's two years in a row the drought is taking the blame for. How about lack of cover in many areas?

Here is the drought monitor as of November:

image.png.95f30d8166ce20b35fd7636ca8cb1aeb.png

Most of that is in the heart of pheasant country. With that said I have shot birds in probably 15+ different counties both east and west river this year and have been pleasantly surprised with numbers so far.

We have never gone that far west to be in the high drought area. We have always found birds. In the past, poor shooting would be the reason for lower bag limits. This year we had very good shooting. Probably cause we saw lots of single birds, very few groups. We were out a week later than normal and I thought with the freeze, that we would find more groups. I did find lots of bulrushes mowed and tilled. I understand the  WIA's are private land, but to see most CREP and some waterfowl production areas cut seems like a misuse of license money.