• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sous Vide Turkey

roony

Ok

I checked it out on ewetoob and it doesn't make sense to me.

You vacuum seal the bag, plop it in a plastic tote of water, throw in a $200 glorified fish tank heater, cook it for 2-3x longer than any other method, then remove, dunk in ice water and then finish cooking it in a frying pan or on the grill.

It takes 3x the equipment, leaves more things to clean up and this is supposed to be a better way to cook? 

I guess I'm missing something. 

2 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

I guess I'm missing something. 

I guess you are.    Have you ever had food that was overcooked?  Salmon, Chicken, Turkey?   Gets sort of dry?      Ever cook a beef roast and it is tough?  

Sous vide keeps that from happening

10 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

I guess you are.    Have you ever had food that was overcooked?  Salmon, Chicken, Turkey?   Gets sort of dry?      Ever cook a beef roast and it is tough?  

Sous vide keeps that from happening

So does watching your food like a hawk using conventional methods. If you have to bag your food and submerge it in the fish tank to keep from burning it then cooking might not be your thing. 

5 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

So does watching your food like a hawk using conventional methods. If you have to bag your food and submerge it in the fish tank to keep from burning it then cooking might not be your thing. 

Then you can tell that to all the professional chefs that use sous vide.  

4 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Then you can tell that to all the professional chefs that use sous vide.  

Lots of "professionals using a metal drum and charcoal to cook so your comment means nothing. Lots of ways to cook food but try your Dr Suess Verde method without using a grill or a frying pan to fix what the water bag can't accomplish and get back to me with the results. 

The salmon I have cooked turns out great, no searing required.    Likewise chicken breast.    Steaks get seared but the end result of the combination is superior to just grilling or pan frying.  

At least you aren't making spurious allegations of food safety issues.  

Howcome you so mad about sous vide?  Seems like a silly thing to be so upset about.  

35 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

The salmon I have cooked turns out great, no searing required.    Likewise chicken breast.    Steaks get seared but the end result of the combination is superior to just grilling or pan frying.  

At least you aren't making spurious allegations of food safety issues.  

Howcome you so mad about sous vide?  Seems like a silly thing to be so upset about.  

Not mad at all and I don't have a problem with you doing it, but from a practical standpoint it looks to waste a lot of time and resources to get results you could get from conventional methods with less time, less equipment and less wasted water. 

This isn't a reinvention of the wheel, it's just a much more complicated way of putting the air into the tube. 

5 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Souza recommends using a meat thermometer to get the center of the cut to just 120 degrees

Easiest way to do that is sous vide.  Seal in bag, throw in 120 degree water.  Go watch tv and drink a beer or other beverage of your choice, come back when you are ready and it is perfect. 

Wasting water?   Are you serious?   Of all the reasons, that is the worst.

I don’t think this would fly with most of the people I eat most dinners with but it just might with two of the better cooks I know.

I’m one who prefers my food cooked JUST enough instead of killing it all over again.  This interests me.

Edited by Wanderer

2 hours ago, Mike89 said:

the 120 bothers me....

Preference.  120 is towards the rare side.  I do 129.  

Great deal on Anova circulators at anovaculinary.com (and probably amazon as well) 

I have the cheap one, bluetooth 800 watts.

Anyway, here is a writeup about cooking salmon.   A few degrees make a big difference.  

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/08/sous-vide-salmon-recipe.html

56 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

I don’t think this would fly with most of the people I eat most dinners with but it just might with two of the better cooks I know.

I’m one who prefers my food cooked JUST enough instead of killing it all over again.  This interests me.

Get one and try it.  You will love it.   Makes cooking nice stuff easy and reliable.   They don't cost a lot.   Right now the Anova  is 109 for the bluetooth one and 129 for wifi.   Control it manually or use an app on your phone.   I just do it manually.  

Might have to get a Sous thingy and give it a try one of these days. Today the turkey is going on the Weber using the rotisserie. Charcoal with chunks of hickory for flavor. Charcoal will be on the sides and a drip pan will be under the bird. I always put 2 boxes of Swanson's chicken broth in the drip pan for my gravy. Should be ready after the Vikes game or at least that is the plan.