• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bean 'n Ham soup

RebelSS

Just the thing for those cold, windy days....my bean soup. I like to have some ciabatta's with melted swiss on top as an accompaniment. 

Bean ‘n Ham Soup

1 16 oz bag of Navy or Great Northern beans

3 smoked ham hocks plus ham trimmings/chunks, about 2 cups, or you can use 2 thin-cut cooked and smoked ham steaks, cubed, in place of the trimmings

1 tsp salt

½ tsp Basil or 2 Basil leaves

¼ tsp Rosemary

6-8 peppercorns

2 Qts (8 cups) water

1 very large onion, medium chop

2-3 ribs of celery, diced small, about 1 full cup

1-2 large chopped carrots, (I use baby carrots),  about 1 full cup

8-10  drops (bit under 1/8 tsp)  of liquid smoke

Veggies should equal 2 full cups PLUS ½ onion.

Soak beans overnight in 2 qts. of water, then drain. I like to soak them 6-7 hours, too long and they get too "mushy" when cooking. Combine first 7 items, except the cubed ham steak, and bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered for 2 hrs, stirring occasionally. Take out hocks and Basil leaves; remove and return to soup any meat from bones. Stir in onion, celery, carrots , cubed ham, liquid smoke, and continue simmering, covered, for 45 mns - 1 hr. or until beans and veggies are tender. Remove cover and let soup thicken as desired. I like mine thick. Remember, it will thicken as it sits. It also freezes well, this gives ya a large bowl to eat and 4-5  one and a half cup containers to freeze.

Sept 2012

DSC03767.JPG

DSC03769.JPG

5 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Do you have a Swiss Verde version of that recipe for Del?:grin:

Looks delish and a great idea for those hocks I have in the freezer.

Yup. Pour ingredients in bag with souse-o-matic; come back in one week. Enjoy while eating close to bathroom. :P

I have this recipe more or less going in the crock pot at home right now. Just used cubed ham, no liquid smoke, and canned beans instead of soaking dry ones. A bit concerned the beans will be mushy, but all the online comments said they wouldn't be. We'll see.

28 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

Probably have CaCl to keep them from mushing up. 

Cacl? Cackle? Delmart, that's what a chicken says before it poops out that egg! Well, I see we're back to eggs again...BAGAAWK!  rotflmao

8 minutes ago, Jim Almquist said:

Looks Yummy !!

I just made a big batch of chili !

I just pulled a tub outta the freezer for tomorrow! 

And it ain't in your brain....

Just now, RebelSS said:

I'm surprised Del hasn't piped up about the old cooks remedy to combat gas is a pinch of ginger in the beans....

Never heard that one.  But I am not an old cook.   I have heard about baking soda in the beans...

7 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Yup. Pour ingredients in bag with souse-o-matic; come back in one week. Enjoy while eating close to bathroom. :P

Well, I must confess- I came home today and the bride has made some shrimp on the stove for the evening meal so I'm probably back out of your Grace's. If I was ever there.:grin:

2 hours ago, delcecchi said:

Probably have CaCl to keep them from mushing up. 

1 hour ago, RebelSS said:

Cacl? Cackle? Delmart, that's what a chicken says before it poops out that egg! Well, I see we're back to eggs again...BAGAAWK!  rotflmao

covfefe did someone say.jpeg

59 minutes ago, delcecchi said:

And it ain't in your brain....

Never heard that one.  But I am not an old cook.   I have heard about baking soda in the beans...

Yer not? Yer gonna substitute "well-seasoned" for "old", right? HA! There's a funny just for you, Delmar!!! :D

I had Ginger in the beans once, then she headed for the shower....

24 minutes ago, RebelSS said:

Too bad. We're all havin' a good time, or we wouldn't be posting.  Even learning some things along the way.That's what it's all about, IMO. Also appears that Reb is the staff guy of the cooking thread.

Atta boy!!:grin::grin:

You gadflies can run a muck and pander for likes in your own threads more power to you. Nothing wrong with that.

But when other members complain about their threads getting hijacked you have to see it from the other side as well. 

12 minutes ago, rundrave said:

You gadflies can run a muck and pander for likes in your own threads more power to you. Nothing wrong with that.

But when other members complain about their threads getting hijacked you have to see it from the other side as well. 

Not to change the subject but David Cassidy died. 

2 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Not to change the subject but David Cassidy died. 

Sing it reb and smurf

Hello world, hear the song that we're singin'
Come on, get happy
A whole lotta lovin' is what we'll be bringin'
We'll make you happy

I know one you can sing....but it's sad that he has to satirize a song of a musician that just passed away, though.

10 hours ago, smurfy said:

So now you resort to name calling. Good one! If someone has an issue with me they can call me out on it. No problem here!

Ah, he doesn't see it from your side Glenn, because it's not his side. If one of us had attempted a rhyme, in reference to him, he'd be all over it.  He needs the site to run according to his views. I'm sure he's a straight, upstanding fella, ya know. He said so.  Maybe we should sing "his" song... but he'd go catatonic.  I'm sure you've all heard it in the service. I wouldn't stoop to that. I am surprised it took him this long to jump in. . I will say a certain person(s) did sum it up in that PM, right on the ol' button. *BINGO*!  Carry on!

Maybe tomorrow I'll post that song on his thread.....:lol:  Naa, not worth the effort. I'm not here for that kinda dump.