• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer heart

1 hour ago, smalliehunter said:

Wondering if anyone has a recipe for deer heart.  I usually brine for a night then boil with a whole onion and some garlic and few other spices.  

Any other ideas?

Here's my recipe that I've used for many, many years with lots of complements. 

1) Shoot Deer.

2) Pull guts and inners out.

3) Leave pile on forest floor to chill until some varmint comes by to enjoy it.

They love it every time!  :P

Me too - I've never considered it before but gutted out my deer this year and the heart was in perfect shape, thought what the heck and threw it in the snowbank while I finished up and found a box of ziplocks in the truck.

Followed Hank Shaw's instructions on opening it up to remove the aorta, etc. and then separating into three separate pieces.  Marinated for a few hours and grilled it along with the tenderloins, sliced everything up on a plate and fed it to the family without saying anything more that it was two different cuts of venison.  The heart was hands down everyone's favorite, after every last piece was gone I informed them we had just polished off the heart - a few sideways looks but now the kids have been asking when we can have deer heart again!