• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Roast beef

Mike89

4 hours ago, Mike89 said:

Hey all, I need a good recipe a good moist beef roast, I use chuck, bottom round and other cuts so a good all around recipe would be great!!! 

thanks....

My first choice, of course, is to sous vide at 135 for like 24 hours.  

Or you could do a classic braised pot roast with chuck.  

Or there is a cook's country recipe   for bottom round.... basically salt the meat and roast in a very low (250) oven to medium

We recommend cooking this roast to medium for ease of slicing. Open the oven door as little as possible, and remove the roast from the oven when taking its temperature to prevent dropping the oven temperature too drastically. Because the sauce contains butter, it will solidify as it cools, so it’s best kept warm for serving.

1. FOR THE BEEF: Pat roast dry with paper towels and sprinkle with 2 ­teaspoons salt. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours. (4 pound bottom round roast)

2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 250 degrees. Set wire rack in rimmed baking sheet. Combine 1T rosemary,  1T thyme, 2 teaspoons pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt in bowl.  (fresh herbs, use less if dry)

3. Pat roast dry with paper towels. Brush roast all over with oil and sprinkle with herb mixture; place on prepared wire rack. Transfer to oven and cook until meat registers 120 degrees, 1 3/4 hours to 2 1/4 hours. Turn off oven and leave roast in oven, without opening door, until meat registers 135 degrees (for medium), 20 to 30 minutes longer. Transfer roast to carving board, tent with aluminum foil, and let rest for 30 minutes.

4. FOR THE ZIP-STYLE SAUCE: Meanwhile, bring butter, Worcestershire, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper to bare simmer in small saucepan over medium heat, whisking ­constantly. Remove from heat, cover, and keep warm.

5. Slice roast thin against grain and serve with sauce.

The American TableZip Sauce

Zip Sauce—a lively, butter-based condiment for steak—was invented more than 75 years ago at Lelli’s Inn, a northern Italian restaurant in Detroit. Customers couldn’t get enough of the flavorful sauce, and it became so popular that neighboring restaurants concocted copycat versions. In 2006, Chef Michael Esshaki capitalized on a good thing when he started selling bottled Zip Sauce (just mix it with melted butter at home) online and in Detroit-area markets.

Ingredients....

Beef

1 (4-pound) boneless beef bottom round roast, trimmed
  Kosher salt and pepper
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

Zip-Style Sauce

8 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon pepper
Edited by delcecchi

6 hours ago, Mike89 said:

Hey all, I need a good recipe a good moist beef roast, I use chuck, bottom round and other cuts so a good all around recipe would be great!!! 

thanks....

Easy, just put it in the crock pot. No need to boil your roast for an entire day to get a tender, moist, beef roast :P;):D

I usually do something simple like this with Lipton Onion Soup Mix.

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/crock-pot-beef-roast-384905

29 minutes ago, Jim Almquist said:

I do the same as Big Dave2 except that I like to brown all sides of my roast before tossing in the crock pot. To me it seems to add more depth to the flavor.

Plus 1+ on the browning first. We had a big Venny Roast in crock pot last weekend up Deer hunting.  Goooood! :)

1 hour ago, delcecchi said:

My experience with crock pots is that they are too hot.   Lean meat gets dried out by being overcooked.   

Your experience might be different.  

I think most people's experience with crock pots is different than that. You ever try using the low setting? Most low settings are around 190-209 degrees. I'm not a big fan of food poisoning....

10 hours ago, Mike89 said:

thanks....

I'd just head over to leech or big Dave's house!!:grin:

1 hour ago, Big Dave2 said:

I think most people's experience with crock pots is different than that. You ever try using the low setting? Most low settings are around 190-209 degrees. I'm not a big fan of food poisoning....

Cook a lean piece of meat to 200 degrees and all the juice will be gone.  

Nobody is a fan of food poisoning.  Are you trying to assert something about sous vide or the recipe I posted?  

7 hours ago, leech~~ said:

At 10:50 pm at night. Getting old suks, did you warm your milk first? :grin:

No silly- his wife did. :grin:

I cook the roasts like I do a prime rib. Inject it with au jus, put my favorite prime rib rub on it and throw it in the smoker till it hits 150, then I pull it and throw in the oven on broil for 5-10 minutes and pull it. The broiler makes a great crust and seals in the flavor. 

In the crock pot I will add some beef broth to add moisture but mostly I like beef on the rare side so I don't use that very often. 

8 hours ago, leech~~ said:

At 10:50 pm at night. Getting old suks, did you warm your milk first? :grin:

Actually, I frost my glass beforehand so the milk is ice cold.

The cookies are toasty warm though, because I fresh bake three of them almost every night.

Sleep like a baby.

And now it is time to crack open my breakfast Coke.

:)

13 minutes ago, Duffman said:

The cookies are toasty warm though, because I fresh bake three of them almost every night.

Sleep like a baby.

I don't think Dr. Juice approves of your diet....:grin:

20 minutes ago, Duffman said:

Sleep like a baby.

Ok but are they fresh, or just those cut off the roll and bake type? :sick:

1 hour ago, Duffman said:

Sleep like a baby.

DUDE.............i sure hope you dont dunk your cookies in your milk?????????? look what happened to Richard Prior!!!!!!!!!!!

35 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

Disappointing... 

Not to my tummy.

And it seems like roasts can be hit or miss when the crockpot is involved.

That's where gravy can save the day.

9 minutes ago, smurfy said:

DUDE.............i sure hope you dont dunk your cookies in your milk?????????? look what happened to Richard Prior!!!!!!!!!!!

At least I don't do Coke all day, it's just a morning thing.........to wake me up.

;)