• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer Stand Lunch?

We stay out all day on the stands and bring lunch with.  Whats in your hip bag or back pack?

Mine this year or pretty much every year.

Bottle of coke, Bottle of water, wife's great meat loaf sandwiches, zip lock full of Osseo meats jerky and hot beef sticks, bunch of left over Halloween small candy bars!  I'm stuffed!  :D

I usually bring with a couple summer sausage sandwiches, coke, water, and candy bars.  Sounds like we have a similar lunch and goodies ready!  Oh I also will bring some Elk River meat market Happy sticks and smoked string cheese!

I've pretty much always have a bottle of coke, some meat sticks, candy bars or granola bars and then either a sandwich of summer sausage or for those real cold/wet days I'll pack in a can of chunky soup and my portable pocket heater.  Not much better than a hot can of soup in a ground blind when its cold and rainy or snowy.

41 minutes ago, fr0sty said:

This year I'm bringing a meal in a bottle called Soylent.  I'm rocking braces this year, so brushing in the stand isn't something I want to do :)

https://www.soylent.com/

Eeeeu! :(

You might be to young to get this?  :lol:

21372137-23598812_400x400.jpg

Edited by leech~~

Bologna thick sliced with lettuce, mustard and to much mayo on home made bread wrapped in cheese cloth, Some lemon drops in one pocket and a few suckers in the other. Couple of Macintosh apples and bottled water. My outdoors sandwich fishing or hunting. Cheese cloth keeps it quiet opening and used as a napkin later.

17 minutes ago, Bobby Bass said:

Bologna thick sliced with lettuce, mustard and to much mayo on home made bread wrapped in cheese cloth, Some lemon drops in one pocket and a few suckers in the other. Couple of Macintosh apples and bottled water. My outdoors sandwich fishing or hunting. Cheese cloth keeps it quiet opening and used as a napkin later.

Interesting on the cheese cloth wrap. Never hear anyone use it for that.  Do they get dried out after a long day?  There have been times when my sam's get mushy after a long day in the zip locks if not eaten right away. I wonder if that will help stop that?

3 minutes ago, PurpleFloyd said:

For something like 38 years straight it will be a thermos of Hormel chili with beans. Some nectar of the gods ( Pepsi) probably a bag if Doritos,some jerky. Maybe some Swiss cake rolls and that's about it. Ran out of venison sausage and haven't had time to make more.

Hot chili in the stand would be nice this crappy wet and cold weekend, but that's Sat nights dinner at the shack with the crew and I don't think there would be enough Scent Blocker made to um.................

13 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Hot chili in the stand would be nice this crappy wet and cold weekend, but that's Sat nights dinner at the shack with the crew and I don't think there would be enough Scent Blocker made to um.................

My thoughts... I have enough trouble keeping quite as is with deer camp food.  Chili in the stand and I might as well invite the marching band out with me.:sick:

29 minutes ago, Moon Lake Refuge said:

My thoughts... I have enough trouble keeping quite as is with deer camp food.  Chili in the stand and I might as well invite the marching band out with me.:sick:

They don't care. We have at least a hog barn every mile here so it blends in.  If you get your control right you can alternate between a doe bleat and a buck snort. Of course if you gamble on a dominant buck grunt and Lose............

I can’t sit all day.  I think I have maybe twice in my life.  I like to look around too much.  I do stay OUT all day pretty often though.  

Lately my go to lunch for hunting has been a bottle of Gatorade and 2-3 Cliff bars.  Sometimes my treat is a Honeycrisp apple.  I sound like a health nut compared to you guys!

28 minutes ago, Wanderer said:

I can’t sit all day.  I think I have maybe twice in my life.  I like to look around too much.  I do stay OUT all day pretty often though.  

Lately my go to lunch for hunting has been a bottle of Gatorade and 2-3 Cliff bars.  Sometimes my treat is a Honeycrisp apple.  I sound like a health nut compared to you guys!

Yep!  Your wife's not out there. Get some Ghost pepper beef sticks from the Emily Meat store and enjoy yourself! :P

Deer camp is definitely not a healthy week.  

I'm looking forward to this colder weather.  More deer moving and easier to sit all day when its not 70 and sunny.  Lunches for me usually include some nutty bars, water, whatever kind of lunchmeat sandwich is available at camp, and a coke or sprite. Focusing on eating the snacks slowly helps pass the time when the deer aren't around.

2 hours ago, leech~~ said:

Yep!  Your wife's not out there. Get some Ghost pepper beef sticks from the Emily Meat store and enjoy yourself! :P

Oh, but for gun season she is!  It’s deer camp and several families come together with all kinds of potluck dishes.  You can walk into the house anytime of day for a buffet.  Chili, tater tot hot dish, pulled pork sammies all ready to go in the crock pots. Monster cookies, brownies and all that.  Breakfast is usually egg bake warmed up before I head out.

I’m the one that’s usually late for dinner!  My lightest weight of the year is usually the day before thanksgiving. :P

1 minute ago, Wanderer said:

Oh, but for gun season she is!  It’s deer camp and several families come together with all kinds of potluck dishes.  You can walk into the house anytime of day for a buffet.  Chili, tater tot hot dish, pulled pork sammies all ready to go in the crock pots. Monster cookies, brownies and all that.  Breakfast is usually egg bake warmed up before I head out.

I’m the one that’s usually late for dinner!  My lightest weight of the year is usually the day before thanksgiving. :P

No wonder you eat healthy out on the stand!  Lol.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, leech~~ said:

Interesting on the cheese cloth wrap. Never hear anyone use it for that.  Do they get dried out after a long day?  There have been times when my sam's get mushy after a long day in the zip locks if not eaten right away. I wonder if that will help stop that?

Have been doing it this way for years, I like pickles and tomato and when I would use plastic bags  and kept them on ice they would always soak the bread, don't seem to have that problem as the cheese cloth lets it all breath. that and my sandwiches are usually the first thing I eat so they are packed away for maybe 4-5 hours. Using thick slice homemade bread or Kasier rolls are also a better then that thin sliced store bought stuff that goes to mush

1 hour ago, Bobby Bass said:

Have been doing it this way for years, I like pickles and tomato and when I would use plastic bags  and kept them on ice they would always soak the bread, don't seem to have that problem as the cheese cloth lets it all breath. that and my sandwiches are usually the first thing I eat so they are packed away for maybe 4-5 hours. Using thick slice homemade bread or Kasier rolls are also a better then that thin sliced store bought stuff that goes to mush

How would the cheese cloth not soak up water when on ice in a cooler for a while?  I'd like to try it not to have mushy sandwiches when out in the field but still not sure how it would work. Do you keep them above the ice some how or use blue cold packs?

Cheesecloth

Cheesecloth
Cheesecloth is a loose-woven gauze-like carded cotton cloth used primarily in cheese making and cooking. Cheesecloth is available in at least seven different grades, from open to extra-fine weave. Grades are distinguished by the number of threads per inch in each direction.
Edited by leech~~

Well deer season there is not to much problem needing ice to keep your food cold. I think a big part of soaked sandwiches is if it is in direct contact with your ice or freezer pack, I think you get condensation that the sandwich soaks up. I do use ice packs and now that I think of it the packs are on the bottom of the cooler and apples and soda are next to the packs. I put a hand towel over all that and my sandwiches on top of the towel. As I said the sandwiches are usually the first thing to get ate. Don't know what to tell you other the give it a try, cheese cloth is cheap.

1 hour ago, Bobby Bass said:

Well deer season there is not to much problem needing ice to keep your food cold. I think a big part of soaked sandwiches is if it is in direct contact with your ice or freezer pack, I think you get condensation that the sandwich soaks up. I do use ice packs and now that I think of it the packs are on the bottom of the cooler and apples and soda are next to the packs. I put a hand towel over all that and my sandwiches on top of the towel. As I said the sandwiches are usually the first thing to get ate. Don't know what to tell you other the give it a try, cheese cloth is cheap.

No that makes sense, was trying to think out how you packed it to keep them away from the melting ice. We usually pack a big cooler at home the night we leave so things get a little jumbled up if someone pulls out few a pops or water.  Thanks for the tip I'll have to give it a try.