• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wet Deer opener on the way.

Well we will see if this may get them moving or not.  North Center MN forecast.

Last years Opener was warm and sunny and I almost fell asleep on the stand myself and didn't see a Deer! :tired:

Sat NOV 4    Rain/Snow Showers 35°32°  60%   ESE 9 mph 92%

Sun NOV 5   AM Rain/Snow    35°17° 100%  WNW 12 mph 83%

In the I90 corridor the deer harvest is largely dictated by whether the corn harvest is done or not. 

One 80 acre cornfield can hold all the deer in a section if they are pushed. We went a lot of years with early harvests and probably not too many bucks grew to old age in that  span.Two years ago there were lots of deer around but some decent size fields that left some good seed. Last year was a late harvest and some big ones were around but we're not seen during the season. This year there will be a historic amount of corn left for the deer to hang out in and those big boys around here will have lots if cover. We have been seeing a couple bruisers that will more than likely be around going into next year and if we get an early harvest next year it might be epic if you want a big deer.

I have a doe tag and whatever might chance by my direction will become an assortment of sausage, snack sticks and jerky.:grin:

5 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

In the I90 corridor the deer harvest is largely dictated by whether the corn harvest is done or not. 

One 80 acre cornfield can hold all the deer in a section if they are pushed. We went a lot of years with early harvests and probably not too many bucks grew to old age in that  span.Two years ago there were lots of deer around but some decent size fields that left some good seed. Last year was a late harvest and some big ones were around but we're not seen during the season. This year there will be a historic amount of corn left for the deer to hang out in and those big boys around here will have lots if cover. We have been seeing a couple bruisers that will more than likely be around going into next year and if we get an early harvest next year it might be epic if you want a big deer.

I have a doe tag and whatever might chance by my direction will become an assortment of sausage, snack sticks and jerky.:grin:

Its suppose to be windy on Sunday perfect conditions to go into the corn and shoot one.

Just walk down the rows and glass each direction if see a deer that is too far step back 4-5 rows and count paces towards the deer to get within decent go back up to the row and bam dead deer. I have shot a couple of deer this way. Just try to move with the wind gusts

2 hours ago, ZachD said:

Its suppose to be windy on Sunday perfect conditions to go into the corn and shoot one.

Just walk down the rows and glass each direction if see a deer that is too far step back 4-5 rows and count paces towards the deer to get within decent go back up to the row and bam dead deer. I have shot a couple of deer this way. Just try to move with the wind gusts

In the area I hunt (west central) the farmers space the rows so close together that this is impossible. The stalks between rows touch making it impossible to see more than a few yards in each direction. 

2 hours ago, ZachD said:

Been there,done that. Walking across rows can also knock over stalks or weaken them so they fall over. When I was younger and less horizontally challenged this was an option. These days not so much.:lol:

A roof helps. I have two stands like this one, both within sight of my house. One for an east wind and another for a west wind with several well used game trails near each. Love sitting in them when it's snowy or rainy. 25 deer have been taken from this particular one.

stand.jpg

Nice stands.  :)

I was talking more about how the Deer will move or not in this weather. It seems like where we hunt which is pretty much all forest. If its nice, warm and sunny their laying down all day but if its cold and crappy they seem to be up looking for food more.

Doe's and fawns up and looking for food may mean a whiner for antlers may be following! :D

Here's how my 3 weekends in zone 100 went last year.

Opening weekend- warm and sunny not one Deer came by stand.

2nd weekend- cold and over cast, saw two sets of Does and fawns

3rd weekend- blizzard with about 18" inch of snow Friday-Sat.  Saw 14 Deer but only one was a small buck.

So weather does play a large role on Deer movement.  Hopefully if we're going to get wet we'll see some Deer! ;)

I bought a decent ground blind that I will retreat to if the rain or snow pick up.  Always nice to sit on a comfy chair with a heater in the ground blind watching over a field hoping something shows.  Good Luck!!

20 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Been there,done that. Walking across rows can also knock over stalks or weaken them so they fall over. When I was younger and less horizontally challenged this was an option. These days not so much.:lol:

Farmers around here been working fields night and day Only a couple still standing when I left the farm today.

I suspect he should have it clear by tonight.

21 hours ago, certified jumbo said:

New model runs show much of north central and northeast mn receiving 4-6" of snow Friday evening in Saturday.   Then followed by freezing rain Sunday.  Tree stand safety must not be taken lightly this weekend. 

Just got a call from my buddy up at the shack in the Outing area.  He said they have 4-5" of snow now and a few more coming before turning to may be rain later in the weekend. 

I told him thanks for the call, I have some time before work to throw the winter tires. 

"Oh, and can you guys go out and brush the snow off my Deer stand for me!"   :D  

Reply: Not able to post because of language! :eek:   :lol:

16 hours ago, ZachD said:

Farmers around here been working fields night and day Only a couple still standing when I left the farm today.

I suspect he should have it clear by tonight.

It looks like there is only about 5-6 bajillion acres left around here give or take. 

My stands are down by Alexis lake behind the house just south of Rush Point so it's kind of an ambush as they have to come through my property to get around the lake, pretty sweet.

Here's the view of the lake from my office.

stands.jpg

Pretty tough opener. I had one very big buck run by yesterday morning to my left side at full speed and couldn't get a shot off out of the side window of the pop up. 

We ended up with one big doe out of our group and really didn't see much of anything to speak of. It's probably right there with the worst we have had in my nearly 4 decades. Lots of deer in the area but too much corn. A farmer who's land we hint still has 90 acres of beans and all his corn left. 

One of the guys on our fire department was working the ground and posted a picture of a really big buck and I headed out that way and saw it about 80 yards off the road with 3 does but they headed back to a cronies field. 

Next year should be epic.

I had two eight pointers and two does running around on opener but they were deep in the alders by the lake with no sure shot. Had another eight pointer come in at 10:00 and dropped him. I like to keep it to one shot, one deer. 36 packages went into the freezer today and I have about 18 - 20 pounds yet to grind. I like to put up 20 -30 packages of burger (half pounders) and a few dozen 'Blue cheese grillin burgers' - good stuff. I mix it all with a 1 to 4 ratio of 73% ground beef.

Grillin Burgers:

(per pound)

1/4 cup bread crumbs

1 egg

2 Tablespoons Worcestershire

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon sage

1/2 teaspoon thyme

Black Pepper to taste

Crumbled blue cheese (you decide) I get a container for the whole batch, about a cups worth.

On Sunday, November 05, 2017 at 2:14 PM, birdguy said:

My stands are down by Alexis lake behind the house just south of Rush Point so it's kind of an ambush as they have to come through my property to get around the lake, pretty sweet.

Here's the view of the lake from my office.

stands.jpg

You have a picture of the view, but none of the Buck? :(

4 hours ago, birdguy said:

I had two eight pointers and two does running around on opener but they were deep in the alders by the lake with no sure shot. Had another eight pointer come in at 10:00 and dropped him. I like to keep it to one shot, one deer. 36 packages went into the freezer today and I have about 18 - 20 pounds yet to grind. I like to put up 20 -30 packages of burger (half pounders) and a few dozen 'Blue cheese grillin burgers' - good stuff. I mix it all with a 1 to 4 ratio of 73% ground beef.

You get 60 plus packages of meat out of an 8 pointer, must have been a BIG 8 pointer..