Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

  • Announcements

    • Rick

      Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

      Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
  • RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

    You know what we all love...

    When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
leech~~

Wet Deer opener on the way.

Recommended Posts

Well we will see if this may get them moving or not.  North Center MN forecast.

Last years Opener was warm and sunny and I almost fell asleep on the stand myself and didn't see a Deer! :tired:

 

Sat NOV 4    Rain/Snow Showers 35°32°  60%   ESE 9 mph 92%

Sun NOV 5   AM Rain/Snow    35°17° 100%  WNW 12 mph 83%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think there is a corn field in 20-30 miles of us.  Hopefully the cold and craapy weather will get them digging for any acorns that are left.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the I90 corridor the deer harvest is largely dictated by whether the corn harvest is done or not. 

One 80 acre cornfield can hold all the deer in a section if they are pushed. We went a lot of years with early harvests and probably not too many bucks grew to old age in that  span.Two years ago there were lots of deer around but some decent size fields that left some good seed. Last year was a late harvest and some big ones were around but we're not seen during the season. This year there will be a historic amount of corn left for the deer to hang out in and those big boys around here will have lots if cover. We have been seeing a couple bruisers that will more than likely be around going into next year and if we get an early harvest next year it might be epic if you want a big deer.

I have a doe tag and whatever might chance by my direction will become an assortment of sausage, snack sticks and jerky.:grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

In the I90 corridor the deer harvest is largely dictated by whether the corn harvest is done or not. 

One 80 acre cornfield can hold all the deer in a section if they are pushed. We went a lot of years with early harvests and probably not too many bucks grew to old age in that  span.Two years ago there were lots of deer around but some decent size fields that left some good seed. Last year was a late harvest and some big ones were around but we're not seen during the season. This year there will be a historic amount of corn left for the deer to hang out in and those big boys around here will have lots if cover. We have been seeing a couple bruisers that will more than likely be around going into next year and if we get an early harvest next year it might be epic if you want a big deer.

I have a doe tag and whatever might chance by my direction will become an assortment of sausage, snack sticks and jerky.:grin:

Its suppose to be windy on Sunday perfect conditions to go into the corn and shoot one.

Just walk down the rows and glass each direction if see a deer that is too far step back 4-5 rows and count paces towards the deer to get within decent go back up to the row and bam dead deer. I have shot a couple of deer this way. Just try to move with the wind gusts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ZachD said:

Its suppose to be windy on Sunday perfect conditions to go into the corn and shoot one.

Just walk down the rows and glass each direction if see a deer that is too far step back 4-5 rows and count paces towards the deer to get within decent go back up to the row and bam dead deer. I have shot a couple of deer this way. Just try to move with the wind gusts

In the area I hunt (west central) the farmers space the rows so close together that this is impossible. The stalks between rows touch making it impossible to see more than a few yards in each direction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ZachD said:

Its suppose to be windy on Sunday perfect conditions to go into the corn and shoot one.

Just walk down the rows and glass each direction if see a deer that is too far step back 4-5 rows and count paces towards the deer to get within decent go back up to the row and bam dead deer. I have shot a couple of deer this way. Just try to move with the wind gusts

Been there,done that. Walking across rows can also knock over stalks or weaken them so they fall over. When I was younger and less horizontally challenged this was an option. These days not so much.:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A roof helps. I have two stands like this one, both within sight of my house. One for an east wind and another for a west wind with several well used game trails near each. Love sitting in them when it's snowy or rainy. 25 deer have been taken from this particular one.

stand.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice stands.  :)

I was talking more about how the Deer will move or not in this weather. It seems like where we hunt which is pretty much all forest. If its nice, warm and sunny their laying down all day but if its cold and crappy they seem to be up looking for food more.

Doe's and fawns up and looking for food may mean a whiner for antlers may be following! :D

Here's how my 3 weekends in zone 100 went last year.

Opening weekend- warm and sunny not one Deer came by stand.

2nd weekend- cold and over cast, saw two sets of Does and fawns

3rd weekend- blizzard with about 18" inch of snow Friday-Sat.  Saw 14 Deer but only one was a small buck.

So weather does play a large role on Deer movement.  Hopefully if we're going to get wet we'll see some Deer! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Getanet said:

I don't mind cold and/or snow. But if it's raining something will be on the move - me back to the truck.

got that right!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a decent ground blind that I will retreat to if the rain or snow pick up.  Always nice to sit on a comfy chair with a heater in the ground blind watching over a field hoping something shows.  Good Luck!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New model runs show much of north central and northeast mn receiving 4-6" of snow Friday evening in Saturday.   Then followed by freezing rain Sunday.  Tree stand safety must not be taken lightly this weekend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, PurpleFloyd said:

Been there,done that. Walking across rows can also knock over stalks or weaken them so they fall over. When I was younger and less horizontally challenged this was an option. These days not so much.:lol:

Farmers around here been working fields night and day Only a couple still standing when I left the farm today.

I suspect he should have it clear by tonight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, certified jumbo said:

New model runs show much of north central and northeast mn receiving 4-6" of snow Friday evening in Saturday.   Then followed by freezing rain Sunday.  Tree stand safety must not be taken lightly this weekend. 

Just got a call from my buddy up at the shack in the Outing area.  He said they have 4-5" of snow now and a few more coming before turning to may be rain later in the weekend. 

I told him thanks for the call, I have some time before work to throw the winter tires. 

"Oh, and can you guys go out and brush the snow off my Deer stand for me!"   :D  

Reply: Not able to post because of language! :eek:   :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ZachD said:

Farmers around here been working fields night and day Only a couple still standing when I left the farm today.

I suspect he should have it clear by tonight.

It looks like there is only about 5-6 bajillion acres left around here give or take. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a snowy morning on opener. Saw a few does and several so-so bucks, ended up taking a nice fat eight pointer.  He's cut up and in the freezer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My stands are down by Alexis lake behind the house just south of Rush Point so it's kind of an ambush as they have to come through my property to get around the lake, pretty sweet.

 

Here's the view of the lake from my office.

stands.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty tough opener. I had one very big buck run by yesterday morning to my left side at full speed and couldn't get a shot off out of the side window of the pop up. 

We ended up with one big doe out of our group and really didn't see much of anything to speak of. It's probably right there with the worst we have had in my nearly 4 decades. Lots of deer in the area but too much corn. A farmer who's land we hint still has 90 acres of beans and all his corn left. 

One of the guys on our fire department was working the ground and posted a picture of a really big buck and I headed out that way and saw it about 80 yards off the road with 3 does but they headed back to a cronies field. 

 

Next year should be epic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had two eight pointers and two does running around on opener but they were deep in the alders by the lake with no sure shot. Had another eight pointer come in at 10:00 and dropped him. I like to keep it to one shot, one deer. 36 packages went into the freezer today and I have about 18 - 20 pounds yet to grind. I like to put up 20 -30 packages of burger (half pounders) and a few dozen 'Blue cheese grillin burgers' - good stuff. I mix it all with a 1 to 4 ratio of 73% ground beef.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grillin Burgers:

(per pound)

1/4 cup bread crumbs

1 egg

2 Tablespoons Worcestershire

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon sage

1/2 teaspoon thyme

Black Pepper to taste

Crumbled blue cheese (you decide) I get a container for the whole batch, about a cups worth.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Sunday, November 05, 2017 at 2:14 PM, birdguy said:

My stands are down by Alexis lake behind the house just south of Rush Point so it's kind of an ambush as they have to come through my property to get around the lake, pretty sweet.

 

Here's the view of the lake from my office.

stands.jpg

You have a picture of the view, but none of the Buck? :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, birdguy said:

I had two eight pointers and two does running around on opener but they were deep in the alders by the lake with no sure shot. Had another eight pointer come in at 10:00 and dropped him. I like to keep it to one shot, one deer. 36 packages went into the freezer today and I have about 18 - 20 pounds yet to grind. I like to put up 20 -30 packages of burger (half pounders) and a few dozen 'Blue cheese grillin burgers' - good stuff. I mix it all with a 1 to 4 ratio of 73% ground beef.

You get 60 plus packages of meat out of an 8 pointer, must have been a BIG 8 pointer..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tip from the field: On wet days, that Butterfingered wrapper makes a nice impromptu barrel condom!  ;)

And it's Hunter safety orange as well! :D

IMG_2911.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  



  • Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

    • Just caught a blip on the news about another new Invasive species found in Lake Superior ,,, What do we need to do ,, Put some of these invasives in the drinking water of our law makers water to make them do their job and stop  this contamination of our waters ,,, Im pro mining  but draw the line when it get too close to spoiling the clean unspoiled water of the BWCAW ,,, And you know whos gonna pay the price of Invasives in our lakes 
    • First possum I've ever seen in my yard..
    •   Member of ADVRider. Rode with lots of guys on there. I just put out a feeler on here once in a while.
    • You ever check out www.thumpertalk.com Lots of guys in your area.
    • I am no expert either but putting my trust in the builder. Talking to him, there will only be enough lumber to screw the sheetrock to. There will be no 16" on center studwalls. He has done several like this with no problems. The "Gurts" are attached to the poles and you could saw the poles off at the bottom and move the whole building.
    • Like Leech said, it appears that a grant in aid trail is running through your area. I would urge you to contact the club president or another representative and try to work out a solution. They may be able to even re-route the trail to avoid your driveway but you will not know unless you engage in a civil discussion with a representative of the club. Just let them know you have concerns and see if an agreement can be had.    I would be surprised if the club doesn't have a landowners event every fall that you could attend and talk to club members as well to keep reminding them each year of your concerns.
    • Forgot this was a day game, missed it but happy we got the two points. We have been holding our spots and even have some games in hand on some other teams. If we can just keep this pace up we are in, but here is hoping we get hot towards the end of the year. Would be nice for a change. 
    • Nice win this afternoon on the road...things are getting interesting....need others to keep stumbling and we may not have to worry about a Wild Card.
    • That's the problem in restrictor plate races--stay on the gas and hit the car in front or lift and be hit from behind.
    • No doubt!   We didn’t have to wonder if there was actual contact though after Dillon said he had a run and just stayed in the gas.   Is what it is.  And that’s the difference I noticed.
  • MWO