• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bow License Question

Kidd

I have a question about the Bow hunting license. I rifle hunt in a zone that has a lottery for a Doe permit.  If I were to bow hunt in that same zone does the bow hunting license allow you to shoot a doe or is there a lottery with a bow the same as with a rifle?

Thanks in advance.

I looked it up and this year it is if you are in a buck only area even with a bow you can only shoot Bucks!  Now I don't happen to hunt any of those zones that are Bucks only but I wonder how long this rule has been in place...Good Luck this weekend to all!!!

1 hour ago, ozzie said:

I looked it up and this year it is if you are in a buck only area even with a bow you can only shoot Bucks!  Now I don't happen to hunt any of those zones that are Bucks only but I wonder how long this rule has been in place...Good Luck this weekend to all!!!

I believe its been that way for at least a few years in buck only zones.

Yeah they do change things from time to time.  On the DNR site I know they highlight the new regs for the year so you can get caught up each year.  

If I remember right the bucks only thing started a few years ago when the herd numbers plummeted.  There were a few zones that went buck only for firearm and bow.  If the zone is lottery I believe your main bow tag is still good for either doe or buck, its just those buck only zones that are impacted. 

It's happen for a long time. Some years might be buck only a lot of times goes by the bad winters.  You have to always check regulations each year or with the DNR. Better than relying on what rules are on here. Info I received was straight from the DNR.

This year some changes from buck only to hunters choice and a few picked up a bonus tag. My zone changed from one deer to two , two years ago and should of stayed one deer.

Good luck to everyone hunting this weekend.

it might be too late for you but if you take a doe via archery in a lottery rifle zone then you cannot shot another deer in that zone.  Likewise if you take a buck (or any deer with permit) you cannot take another deer via bowhunting in any lottery zone.

On 10/24/2017 at 9:57 PM, Wanderer said:

Archery is any deer anywhere in the state.

Apologies for the errant information.  I thought they did away with the bucks only zones with the new moose management plan.

Yes, the best thing to do EVERY year is pick up the regs when you buy your license and read “What’s New” in the first few pages, then read everything that might affect you.