• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bird Feeding Newcomer

JBMasterAngler

I have the chicken fencing folded over the suet and held together with zip ties. I think I’m going to nail them to the elm tree on the side of my house though. The nuthatches and woodpeckers are always in that tree, so I think the suet would work best there. I couldn’t find any nutty butter at fleet farm, is that something that sells out quick, or do they just not sell it?

It was funny watching the squirrels hop into the feeder and find that their precious sunflowers weren’t in here anymore. Although, a red squirrel made quite a mess digging around in there, just to make sure I wasn’t hiding anything. 

Had a group of fox sparrows move in yesterday. Was fun watching them feed. It was like they would jump up and drop kick the ground, in an effort to dig around for food.

I have a couple of the commercial suit block holders screwed to the trees.   I periodically have issues with raccoons or possums coming through and when one is in the area they would open the suet feeders.   So I wire them shut.  It's easy to untwist the wire to put in a new block.  

My woodpeckers must not know better since they seem to gobble up whatever brand I put out.    Next time I go to the butcher shop, I'll pick up some actual suet and hang it up.   

Tonight when I let my dog out before bed, 3 deer ran across the yard. Earlier in the morning, 2 of my feeders were empty (both of which were well within reach of a deer). I suspect they may have been the culprit. I was going to start feeding deer soon, but might have to start a little sooner. Getting really exciting in my yard! :)

@JB,  Once deer find your bird feeders they will visit them nightly, and will be almost so prompt that you could set your clock by them.  They can easily empty many types of bird feeders in a single night.  One can almost go broke trying to keep up with their appetites for bird seed.

I'd love to have feeders out, but there are 2.7 gazillion skwirrels around here that decimate everything. If I hang out a chunk of suet in a wire cage, will they be at that too, or do they tend not to be interested in it?

5 hours ago, RebelSS said:

Oohhhh....the Daisy has taken out 8 so far; they just keep coming....

Image result for daisy pump action

...and fight right back....

skwirrel.jpg

Stoopid skwirrel doesn't even have a clip in.   HA!  NYA NYA!!

Since I used a 6 ft high 3 inch PVC pipe to hold up my feeders I've only had 2 squirrels in my feeder in as long as I can remember, at least 4 or 5 years and they met the same fate as Eyeguy's so they couldn't tell their buddies  how they got up it! They can't get up it because their claws don't grab onto anything. I have a ton of ground feeding squirrels but none up in the feeders. Eyeguy, I can't get Nutty Butter touched, it actually goes bad in the summer so I use the regulars with some seed in them. I have to screw my suet feeders shut too or the raccoons eat the whole thing every night.

I was told I couldn't put the grandkids on it when they were born... 

I use these on the suet feeders to keep the squirrels from opening them. maybe one on each side for coons?  not sure whu nutty butter wouldn't work there. definitely the fav here. 

nifti_safelatch_03x.jpg

1 hour ago, eyeguy 54 said:

I was told I couldn't put the grandkids on it when they were born...

I use these on the suet feeders to keep the squirrels from opening them. maybe one on each side for coons?  not sure whu nutty butter wouldn't work there. definitely the fav here.

nifti_safelatch_03x.jpg

My basket suet feeders hang by a little chain attached to the hanged top lid. Once I load it I just bring the chain back through and around the top lid and hang it. No way their getting it open.