• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Have Ion-Want k Drill

Hawg

21 hours ago, Agronomist_at_IA said:

I'm trying to be smart or anything.....my power point head cuts at 8.5in..... I'm just wondering if my cutting head is an odd ball.

I knew what you meant, the hole has always looked a tad larger than my 8" Lazermag. Never have measured it though, figured metric, maybe it's 21 or 22(cm) ?

48 minutes ago, BRULEDRIFTER said:

. As long as you don’t cut through dirty ice and take care to keep your blades covered at all times when not in use, you can go years in between sharpening. Get a Nils, you won’t regret it!

That rules me out. Sending my whole auger out to get it sharpened is not for me. That makes having to buy new blades for my Strikemaster Lazer again this year seem like a breeze....:)

What does it cost to get the Nils sharpened?

13 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

That rules me out. Sending my whole auger out to get it sharpened is not for me. That makes having to buy new blades for my Strikemaster Lazer again this year seem like a breeze....:)

It's just the blade head, 10"×10"×7" box would probably cover it. Does anybody know offhand how much that it is costing to send it up and back for sharpening the days? Including sharpening.

It was a very nice quick experience getting it done by Surface Tension.

FIL over the holidays said he could sharpen it.

He was given a fair warning to NEVER touch it.

:)

Edited by Duffman

1 minute ago, Duffman said:

It's just the blade head, 10"×10"×7" box would probably cover it. Does anybody know offhand how much that it is costing to send it up and back for sharpening the days? Including sharpening.

It was a very nice quick experience getting it done by Surface Tension.

FIL over the holidays said he could sharpen it.

He was given a fair warning to NEVER touch it.

Oh, I have no doubt Surface Tension does a great job but the way I operate I would not send it in until I absolutely need it and I wouldn't have an auger. For those who take great care of their stuff and are always thinking ahead I'm sure they are a great auger but for a guy like me it would be frustrating. 

I went out on Friday not knowing exactly how bad my blades were from last year and I could barely drill 2 holes. A quick stop at the bait shop and $25.00 later I had new re-sharpened blades and I'm back in business. 

See how great Lazer augers are Duffman? Don't you have a Lazer for sale? ;)

11 minutes ago, Big Dave2 said:

For those who take great care of their stuff and are always thinking ahead I'm sure they are a great auger but for a guy like me it would be frustrating. 

I understand where you are coming from.

And I am already thinking ahead to possibly getting a spare head now that this is my sole auger. That and an extention maybe next year. I'm the guy who always kept a spare set of Lazer blades in my center console.

I'm the guy you go to on a camping trip when you forgot spare batteries.

Yeah, that is an inconvenience, but I think it’s worth it. I’m close enough I could maybe schedule a drop off and avoid shipping all together. In time I’ll have a spare head so I can rotate them as needed. I also don’t think I’ll part with my old strikemaster mag chipper anytime soon. 

We’ll see how it goes. If I get in a bad pinch someday, that may sway me to go another way with my choice in auger. But for now, I love this set up!

$20 is how much it costs to have ST sharpen a Nils head.  I haven’t sent mine off cuz it hasn’t needed it yet, but I don’t use it much either.

Not cuz I don’t like it - it’s a 6 inch hand auger I mainly use for BWCA fishing and keep with my spearing gear.  Best hand auger ever.  As long as I have it with I know I’m getting through the ice to fish.  Dead batteries or failed gas augers don’t worry me anymore. I’ll gladly deal with the maintenance of it whenever that day comes.

Best to have a set of spare cutting heads just like you would/should have a spare set of blades for any style auger. As much as I hated the weight of my old Jiffy the one thing that was great is sharpening them myself with a flat file. It was the back ache from a day of hole hopping that made me sell. 

On 1/4/2018 at 9:39 PM, rl_sd said:

My dad decided that he wanted to ditch the gas auger.... he has a whole arsenal of 20 gold dewalt stuff including two brushless drills and about 6- 5ah batteries. I picked up a $25 icesmaster auger adapter to get him started. The plan was to pick up a cheap mora auger to see if he liked it, but we decided to pull the bit off my ion and give it a whirl.  I was very impressed with how well it worked..... so impressed that I may end up buying the new style ion x bit for m ion head and give him my old ion bit.  I imagine that there may be some of the old style bits coming up for sale if anyone is looking to move to the a drill setup

Hey rl_sd, 

How'd the set up work with  an ion auger attached to a cordless drill? I was thinking about doing this, but haven't seen much info on it yet.

3 hours ago, Will Glanville said:

Hey rl_sd, 

How'd the set up work with  an ion auger attached to a cordless drill? I was thinking about doing this, but haven't seen much info on it yet.

Worked awesome... I did some looking but like you couldn’t find anyone else that had posted doing it. Like I said... pros and cons to both. But if you have a cordless capable, I would start looking for a used ION bit and pick up an ice master adapter or something similar. The used ion bits that I have seen have been going for $50-$100. The new ION-X can be bought for $150. Let’s put it this way... if I knew then what I know now, I would still own the ION bit, just not the ION head. 

Here is is the write up I did a few days ago...

Edited by rl_sd

2 hours ago, sunniewally said:

I have the  ion and the k drill with the milwaukee and I too like the ion but the difference in weight is the seller for me with the old age and shot joints is the deal for me

You don't happen to have a drill adapter that fits on your Ion do you?> I am curious as to difference in the performance of both bits with the same drill.

The chipper blade seems to a plus for the Kdrill but I've never had even a slight problem reopening holes with my Ion's. The torque on the drill and the pressure to hold on seems to be highly underestimated with the Kdrill by most. I like the handles on the Ion for stability. Remember that we are splitting hairs, the Kdrill and the Ion or any of the new electrics are all a huge improvement over gas or propane. Too many people that used the old Strikemaster 12 volt piece of garbage seem to be gun shy of electrics but their time has definitely come.

1 hour ago, Hawg said:

The torque on the drill and the pressure to hold on seems to be highly underestimated with the Kdrill by most.

I don't find the torque to be an issue at on all on the kdrill.  The first time I had it out my wife wanted to give it a shot and she drilled a few holes with zero issue with the torque or holding on to the handles.  Keep in mind she has never drilled a hole in the ice before and had no idea what to expect in terms of torque or how to brace for it.  

8 hours ago, rl_sd said:

You don't happen to have a drill adapter that fits on your Ion do you?> I am curious as to difference in the performance of both bits with the same drill.

ya I do but haven't used it. My kdrill is a 6 in and the ion is the 8 in. I feel the kdrill is quicker and easier  for me with my screwed up hand and wrists. It's  about half the weight and not all that hard to drill with.