• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pickled beets

Mnfisher

We can't find our recipe for pickled beets. Haven't done this for a couple of years.  Wife and I both certain we didn't cook the beets.....we just packed them in hot jars, poured the brine over, then boiled the sealed jars for 15-20 minutes.  I can't find a recipe that says you don't have to cook beets.  Does any one have such a recipe?  Our brine contained cinnamon sticks and cloves.  I imagine we could just add these ingredients to any regular vinegar/sugar/water brine though.  Mostly just wondering about using raw beats vs uncooked beets.  Thanks...Jim

Never heard of one where ya DON'T cook the beets....but who knows? Here's one I used years ago...

EASY PICKLED BEETS (1 Quart)

• 2 bunches small beets – ends trimmed and scrubbed
  • 4 small onions – sliced and separate rings
  • ½ cup liquid from boiled beets
  • ½ cup white vinegar
  • ½ cup honey – go local!
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ¼ teaspoon cinnamon or cinnamon stick
  • ¼ teaspoon cloves

Bring beets and enough water to cover to a boil over high heat.  Reduce to medium and continue to boil for 45 minutes.  With 5 minutes remaining on beets add onion slices.  Drain beets and onions, reserving ½ cup of the liquid, set aside.

While the beets and onions cool add beet liquid, vinegar, honey, salt, cinnamon, and cloves to medium sauce pan and bring to a boil.

Peel beets (this should be easy once they are cooled), and slice.  Add sliced beets and onions to a Mason jar, or air tight container of your choosing.  Cover beets with boiled liquid, cover, and refrigerate at least 24 hours before eating.  I prefer them after about 72 hours.  

My wife loooves Beets.

Here's my recipe

Lot of beets, as many as you can fit in to a large boiling pan.

.add 1 cup draino

.add 1 cup muriatic acid

.heat with a blow torch

throw off hwy over pass so they get tender under semi truck tries for one hour.

Then go get some food and have a Beer!

Enjoy! :P

Hate um! :(

Edited by leech~~

1 hour ago, Mike89 said:

they are good eats!!!!

maybe if ya drown them in katchup!!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin: personally i wouldnt waste garden space on them!

i did them a couple times, i'm with leech on this. reb's reciepe is similar but dont think we had honey in it. it was my MIL's reciepe!!!!!!!

Edited by smurfy

You can also cook them on the grill at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or so until they are tender. I cook them in  disposable aluminum pans and use tin foil for a cover offset from the fire. Pretty much baking them, I don't like to heat up my house so I do it all outdoors.  Mmmm pickled beets!

Edited by Grainbelt

2 hours ago, Grainbelt said:

You can also cook them on the grill at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or so until they are tender. I cook them in  disposable aluminum pans and use tin foil for a cover offset from the fire. Pretty much baking them, I don't like to heat up my house so I do it all outdoors.  Mmmm pickled beets!

I like that idea, only on the smoker grill I'm thinking.......

I've never tried it but maybe a guy could peel the beets, cold smoke for a couple hours in a disposable aluminum pan. Then crank up the heat and cover with foil to cook tender. Maybe they would bleed out  without skins? Any juices could go right into the mix. I have plenty of beets to experiment with, I'm going to have to try it now. Smomed pickled beets mmmm!

I couldn't find a recipe anywhere online for pickling raw  beets (unless just refrigerator beets) so I must have been mistaken and will just cook them first!  Love them pickled but not so much just cooked!  Thanks for ALL the comments! :)