• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

There seems to be an aversion to using crawler harness...

tacklejunkie

in the fall for walleye. Seems everyone switches to cranks or jigs and minnows in fall. Is there a biological reason why people don't think walleye so will hit a crawler harness in the fall?  Even all articles regarding fall walleye fishing talk more about using cranks or big minnows and dismiss crawler harness use that time of year

Maybe they just stop working as well as the alternatives.   That could be because (speculation on my part) that the organisms that a crawler harness or a crawler on a rig emulate or resemble become less abundant in the fall and minnows have grown to the point where they are attractive to the walleye.   So the walleye are no longer eating bugs or crayfish for example but have switched to minnows. 

I do know, based on the writings of a number of people and personal experience, that crawlers lose effectiveness compared to minnows in the fall on Vermilion.   Likewise starting out in the spring, and gradually crawlers become more effective than minnows. 

I think it is just a seasonal forage thing.

All the yough of the year minnows/fish are probably reaching the preferred size for walleye, as well as they (minnows), are leaving the shallow nursery areas and are now more vulnerable.  Minnows are probably more readily available and preferred this time of year naturally.

I'm guessing that worms and crawlers wash into water systems after storms. So they are not totally foreign to being found in the water.

Deep mudflats? Doubt it.

But I do target storm sewer outlets on lakes shortly after rainfall with some success using natural colored rubber worms for bass. And have caught an occasional walleye while doing so.

1 hour ago, ANYFISH2 said:

I think it is just a seasonal forage thing.

All the yough of the year minnows/fish are probably reaching the preferred size for walleye, as well as they (minnows), are leaving the shallow nursery areas and are now more vulnerable.  Minnows are probably more readily available and preferred this time of year naturally.

Plus+1 last weekend got into a good bite in about 31-35 feet and they were all full of Minnows.

no reason to stop using them.  i find in the winter around here on the river that they'll still hit worms.  i think though mostly, in the summer, walleye will eat whatever they can eat.  in the fall, the baitfish run happens and they know where to get an easy meal and thats their target.