Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
pulleye16

Filling in oil tank room basement

We have an older home that has a roughly 6x6x4 oil tank room in the basement (tank removed) that I'd like to fill in. Any suggestions?  I could access it from the outside if I broke free the concrete slab above it. 

Heres my my plan. Block off the wall in the basement. Break open the concrete on the outside and fill in with dirt. Sound reasonable or am I missing something?  

If it has concrete or block walls I would be hesitant to fill it.  Right now if any water gets in there is room to expand and freeze.  Not saying there should be any but things happen.  Fill it with dirt and there is less room for expansion should something like that  happen...

The "room" is not easily accessible   and the opening is tiny. It's a cesspool for insects. I'd love to seal it up as it has no purpose and no amount of money would make it useful...that u need to trust me on. 

8 minutes ago, pulleye16 said:

The "room" is not easily accessible   and the opening is tiny. It's a cesspool for insects. I'd love to seal it up as it has no purpose and no amount of money would make it useful...that u need to trust me on. 

Why not just brick over or seal the opening then?  Seems like that would be easier and would potentially serve the same purpose?

I'd check into some rules first. I know that an old oil tank is considered hazardous waste, and sealing off a room that may contain old traces of oil may be a huge headache....and if it comes in contact with soil....you know where this is going.  it can't hurt to check with someone!  I don't see where bricking it up would be a prob, but who knows.....

oil tank and all residue or equipment has long since been removes. If I sealed it up, I'd still be worried of slight water getting in there during heavy storms and getting "moldy" and stinky.  Figure if I filled blocked the small enter up and filled it in, it would just become an exterior wall....but I'm curious as to why water would cause issues if I filled it in with dirt...wouldn't that just drain like normal?

It may, but your typical areas around your house are not blocked on all sides.  Draining off the side of the house isn't an immediate process, it can take some time to bleed out.  Where if its in a small area contained on all sides but the bottom, with our temp swings and it potentially getting some heat from the house, it could very easily get warm enough to take on water, then freeze before it fully drains. Enough times and the expansion could be an issue.  Don't take my word for it, I'm no pro.  Might be wise to take rebs advise and call someone.  A foundation contractor would be a good place to start if your not worried about chemical runoff.

32 minutes ago, pulleye16 said:

oil tank and all residue or equipment has long since been removes. If I sealed it up, I'd still be worried of slight water getting in there during heavy storms and getting "moldy" and stinky.  Figure if I filled blocked the small enter up and filled it in, it would just become an exterior wall....but I'm curious as to why water would cause issues if I filled it in with dirt...wouldn't that just drain like normal?

Is it a dirt floor? 

Nope. It's essentially another room in the basement but with earth above it. 3 blocked walls and cement slab on ceiling and floor (no house above it). Since nothing above this room (breaks off from the side of the house) it'll get some water on heavy rains. It was probably not sealed well so bugs find their way in. I'll contact a pro for sure as this seems to be not black and white. Thought I could just block the opening off, fill it in, and essentially that would be my exterior wall now with basically earth and some concrete in my yard... but under ground.  Maybe I need to break up the concrete floor for proper draining before filling in????

O jeez, if it has a slab floor, no way would I fill it in without busting up the slab! But then, would water leaching into soil from an old oil storage room..............ya know how THAT goes.    But, do what ya will.  

open it up and make pantry out of it, then you will see what the heck comes in or not...   (water)  good luck, we had an old cistern that was filled in a house we had 40 plus years ago, the filled it with dirt and blocked it off and it worked for us...

48 minutes ago, Mike89 said:

open it up and make pantry out of it, then you will see what the heck comes in or not...   (water)  good luck, we had an old cistern that was filled in a house we had 40 plus years ago, the filled it with dirt and blocked it off and it worked for us...

That's good too hear. Thanks.